Fall-Away Rests

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Fall-Away Rests

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:45 am

I know this was discussed recently and I've read the posts,...but..

I am thinking of switching from a Whisker Biscuit to a drop-rest. I know that there are lots of them available
but I am on a budget..sort of (what the wife doesn't know won't hurt !)

What do you all think of the Trophy Taker Micro-adjust vs the Octane Trip Wire ??

Cost difference is about $30 and I am inclined to go with the cheaper one.

Thanks !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Re: Fall-Away Rests

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:35 pm

The new Octane one wins hands down with me. I hate drop aways, but it has me thinking about switching. When you let down on the Trophy Taker your arrow goes with it (which can make noise, whether you have molskin or not.) On the Octane, however, if you have to let down on your drawn the rest stays up. ALL of Octane's accessories are great quality. All metal, and the arm on the launcher is made of Titanium. It would be well worth 30 more bucks in my opinion. I got to mess with one when our other archery tech brought one back from the show in Illinois this year, and I am VERY impressed with it. Take it to mind that I've always said I would NEVER use a drop away...
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tealer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:55 pm

I use a higher end Trophy Taker, but Octane is really good stuff. With those choices I would go Octane.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:24 am

Thanks for the advice guys,

I also asked two of my friends who shoot with fall away rests. One uses the Trophy Taker X-treme FC and loves it,...and the other guy uses the QAD Ultra Rest HD Pro Series. The first guy said that every once in a while the QAD would not drop away, and for that reason he switched to the Trophy Taker,...the other guy says he hasn't had that problem.

Based on their advice and yours,..I'll have to go to a shop and look at the diffenet choices and decide.

Thanks again !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby SilverLakehunter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:43 pm

My hunting partner both works at a shop and is sponsored by trophy taker and hands down there the best out I think. I use one and have not had any problems, even with the let down on the bow. I wouldn't hunt anything else.
BOOOOOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
SilverLakehunter
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:49 am

Probably Octane out of the 2, but I'd throw them both out for my trophy ridge.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby ghilliehunter » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:22 pm

I don't have much experince with the octane but I can personally vouch for the trophy taker as a quality rest. I used it for about 5 years before I switched to the limbdriver. I'd take a look at the limbdriver if I were you, it removes the tension from the cable and puts it instead on the limb which is a much more stable part of the bow. Also, because of the way it's designed it supports the arrow longer.
RIP slayer, only the good die young
ghilliehunter
hunter

Postby buffleheadnc2 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:24 pm

i love the quad hd series by quality archery it is the best imo. I like the fact that i can lock it in the up position and the arrow is fully captured. I can not believe how much better I like than my whisker bis. I really shoot better. In refrence to the earlier post as for it not falling out of the way I would bet a slow motion camera would reveal that his arrow is leaving the bow correctly and making contact with the riser or arrow shelf. I think they will all move out of the way as they are designed to do but for me full capture is very important as is being able to lock it in the shooting position.
buffleheadnc2
Forum Moderator

Postby fallnl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:52 am

:huh: Never had a problem with my Whisker Bisquit...Had it for years now without issue. As long as your form is clean..you shouldn't have any issues either...And they are much cheaper...So...your choice man...
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Whisker Bisquit if fine, but it screws up your fletchings.

I just bought a Nap Sizzor Rest. I finally saw one in a store and it was on sale for under $100. I haven't installed it yet but will keep you posted. It gives ultimate arrow clearance and your arrow will stay in the rest.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:00 pm

I just got the rest on my bow. Got to shoot it a couple of times and I like it. Again, total arrow containment coupled with complete fletching clearance, its great.

I would check it out.
http://www.cabelas.com/p-0046531418230a.shtml
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 am

No offense, but that looks pretty complicated.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:00 am

When you draw, the end comes back like a hammer to a gun. When you release the hammer hits a pin that makes the sizzors spring open. It is a somewhat more complicated design, but it does give you total fletching clearance for any style of fletchings you want to use, and the only piece of plastic thats external is on the top arm, and you could still shoot your bow if that broke. Also its super simple to adjust.

I played with one at the Gander MT in College Station for an hour or so before I bought it. It was on sale, I think I paid $90 +tax for it.

I did look at the Octane trip wire, but I decided that I wanted a containment rest. The other two I looked at was the trophy take xtreme, not total containment, but also not made of plastic, and the ripcord, which had too many plastic pieces for me to feel comfortable with.

I guess eventually the spring inside of this guy could give out, or the plastic piece on the top arm could break, but hopefully not any time soon. It seems fairly robust when you handle it, so if you guys have one at your store, I would check it out.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Archery