First Bow

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

First Bow

Postby forester11 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:19 pm

I've been wanting to shoot a bear for a while now, and I was just checking the regs and in my area the archery bear season forms a perfect bridge between early goose and regular goose. So now I need to buy a bow, I know nothing about bows...literally nothing...your eight year old knows more than I do...I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as far as what brand to buy? how heavy of bow buy? I don't want to drop a lot of cash on this I'm looking for say...the crack barrel single shot of bows, that is reliable and shoots straight.
forester11
hunter

Re: First Bow

Postby duckschooler » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:33 pm

there are a lot of threads on here about this very same topic. I was in your shoes and came across a very helpful website http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm It answered a lot of my questions and helped me determine what I wanted out of a bow, and also what I needed and didn't need. I bought a Parker Wildfire and i love it, there are some advantages to buying a used though. Bows depreciate so you can get an high end bow for a fair price. It is entirely up to you though. good luck
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:39 pm

Best thing I (or anyone) can tell you is to shoot some bows. If it's your first one look for a bow with a high brace height, that will make it more forgiving to any errors in your form or any shakes. Look for something in the 7" to 8" if you can find it, 8 would be better. Second, a longer bow and heavier bow will be more accurate as well. If you can find a long bow with a generous brace height, you should be in good shape. Try and stay away from big wide bulky grips as well (such as on Matthew's) they tend to make you torque the bow. Personally I'd look into the PSE Bow Madness. It's a little shorter than the BM XL but has a greater brace height. If you want the cheap route the Bear Lights Out is a real good bow. 8" brace height, short and light. Really good shooting bow. Just go shoot some. Don't be the guy that goes out the week before season and buys one off the internet you've never shot. Most pro shops will let you shoot them for free and give you a lesson on how to shoot it accurately. Good luck with your decison. :thumbsup:

Also, to me speed is way overrated. Too many people pull too much weight and can't shoot it worth a darn just to get some more velocity. I don't care how fast a bow you're shooting, if it's a loud bow the deer is going to jump the string. Quiet is much more important than fast to me. Don't pull to much weight at first to feel macho to the other guys out there. I've been bow hunting for 4 years now (haven't shot one, but I practice all year) and work at an archery shop and everyone pulls weight than me, and do it fine. I can't pull 70 lbs yet, but it's alright I can shoot 60 lbs accurately and putting the arrow where it needs to be is more important than feeling tough. Rule of thumb is if you can't pull it straight back sitting flat on the ground, you've got to much weight.

Last thing on my rant is this. When you get your bow and draw on a deer, you'll never stop. You'll be shaking so bad squirrels will fall out of your tree. I've drawn on one and missed, and I'm hooked. Once you start, it's like duck hunting, you'll be hooked for life. So be prepared for another addiction. :lol3:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:50 pm

I hope you realize what your getting yourself into :yes:

Go talk to your local dealer and go from there. :beer:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berettaguy17 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:05 pm

Hey Preacher :hi:

Did you buy a PSE yet, or at least shoot one.

pick up the Bow Madness XS and shoot it, i havent put mine down yet
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:21 am

berettaguy17 wrote:Hey Preacher :hi:

Did you buy a PSE yet, or at least shoot one.

pick up the Bow Madness XS and shoot it, i havent put mine down yet

I shoot one all the time. If I didn't just get through buying a High Country Iron Mace last year I'd get a Bow Madness. I shoot it at work all the time, I guess it might as well be mine. :lol3:

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby okwaterfowler » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:46 pm

I have been thinking about trying out the RedHead Kronik Compound Bow Package, anyone have any experience with it? I want to go to BPS and shoot on but I would like to know if anyone knows anything about it before I make the trip.
okwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Most house brand bows are made by Bow Tech (or Diamond, also made by Bow Tech), so it should be a good bow. Our Gander Mountain bows are made by them and they are great bows. Should be a good bow, but I've never shot one personally.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby okwaterfowler » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:50 am

OH rock on, I am pretty new to bows also, just kinda doing some research.
okwaterfowler
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:41 am

forester11 wrote:I've been wanting to shoot a bear for a while now, and I was just checking the regs and in my area the archery bear season forms a perfect bridge between early goose and regular goose. So now I need to buy a bow, I know nothing about bows...literally nothing...your eight year old knows more than I do...I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as far as what brand to buy? how heavy of bow buy? I don't want to drop a lot of cash on this I'm looking for say...the crack barrel single shot of bows, that is reliable and shoots straight.

This will be my 3rd season with a bow. The best advice I got was to head to a pro shop. Found one a ways from me that was mentioned with high regard. I spent about 5 hours there. He let me shoot anything I wanted. He mentioned a bowtech but didn't have any in stock. So I went to a large sporting goods store, tried it out and headed back to him. He adjusted everything for me, made me feel comfortable with it. I bought a half dozens arrows from him so after 7 hours at his shop, that's all he charged me for. Some sporting goods stores only have a 10 yard range to "fit" you so I suggest doing what I did. Good luck and have fun
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery