Rage and the Recurve

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Rage and the Recurve

Postby Quack Shack » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:39 pm

I have a question for the traditional guys out there. A buddy of mine who has been shooting compounds for several years decided to go back to a recurve last season. He is using a 65# Hoyt. The first doe he shot was with a 29" aluminum arrow ( I am not sure what size) and a three blade Rage broad head. The hit was right behind the shoulder midway down but he lost the deer. He found what was left of the deer and his arrow three days later. He only got 6-8 inches of penetration. He has since gone to carbon arrows and Muzzy broad heads and took two deer with this set up. He would like something that cuts a bigger hole than the 1" Muzzy and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with the two blade Rage out of a recurve.
TEAM SPOONIE
Quack Shack
hunter

Re: Rage and the Recurve

Postby berettaguy17 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:22 am

IMO i wouldnt because the rages take a lot of force to get good penetration, since the are so wide of a cut.

Tell him to look for some of the broadheads made for traditional shooting
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:54 pm

You might try the new Rages. They just came out with one designed to open and work with bows that generate less than 40 lbs or kinetic energy. You might buy a pack and shoot them at 3d and threw cardboard to see how they work. I'd still just stick with the normal fixed bladed though.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duck stuffer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:55 pm

You may think I'm crazy but, try a magnus stinger w/out the bleeder blade. It makes it a two blade head but, you will measure penetration by how deep it is in the ground on the other side! It's an old Fred Bear trick. You have to sharpen the blades of course but, so did he & he hammered em'!
duck stuffer
Newb

Postby berettaguy17 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:41 pm

Many broadhead companies make two blade fixed for traditional shooting and i guess some pack quite a punch, i have heard alot about the magnus ones
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby duck stuffer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Actually I was wrong, you replace or sharpen that Magnus stinger.
duck stuffer
Newb

Postby Quack Shack » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks for the input, I will pass it on.
TEAM SPOONIE
Quack Shack
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:21 am

Stay with a two blade and stay away from the shoulder and behind the front leg. Look at 3 river archery for traditional broadheads.

I shoot selfbows (Primtive bows) and can penetrate throw a deer on both sides of the chest. Tell him to read the Ashby report and he will learn a lot about broad heads design and cutting that all bow hunter should know.

A 65# bow should have easily had more than 6" to 8' of prentration.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby okie870 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:10 am

I shoot muzzy off of my recurve and my mathews compound and have had great luck with them. I tried rage 2 blade last year and almost lost a deer over it. When the arrow hit the doe the broadhead didnt even go in but an inch at most and the arrow stuck straight up in the air so when she went into the tall grass to lay down I knew right where she was at and was able to get close enough for a 2nd shot which was a double lung hit and finished her. 2 weeks later I shot another doe out of the same stand in almost the same spot and had a complete pass through and she didnt go but 40 yrds at most and that was with a muzzy
okie870
hunter

Postby fastloadskill » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:53 pm

do a little test. BE CAREFUL!! Put an old arrow in a vise pointing straight up. Screw in your favorite 3 or 4 blade. Take a stack of rags, place them on the broadhead and pull down on the rags. See how much pressure it takes to go through, if it goes through. Now, take a hand sharpened 2 blade, manufacturer doesn't matter as long as it's a cut on contact blade. Now, place the rags over it and pull down, but be careful, it will take less than 1/2 the amount of force to pass through the rags! If more people understood cut on contact blades, you'd see less wounded and lost deer every year. Broadhead manufacturers have done a very good job getting hunters to buy into replaceable heads instead of heads that are able to be resharpened, and penetrate better.
fastloadskill
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:00 pm

G5 Montec 100 gr. they will make a perfect pass-through at 60 yards out of my compound so you should have no problem out of a recurve
duckman27
hunter

Postby mnobles23 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:14 pm

I've never been a fan of mechanical heads for traditional archery due to the energy needed to deploy the blades. Even if they say that it only takes a small amount, that's still energy wasted on blade opening that could be used for penetration!

I shoot 55lbs @ 28 in with my recurve. I have a 31 in. draw so I'm actually holding a little more than that, but you get the idea. I shoot full shaft GoldTip 7595's with a 125 grain tip. Until this year I was shooting Muzzy 3-blades. I had really good luck with them, with complete passthroughs on the last 3 deer I've shot. This year I switched to Magnus Stingers only because they fly better with my setup.

When it gets down to it, go with any of the top name broadheads. No matter what you pick go with a FIXED BLADE for traditional bows and you can't o wrong!
mnobles23
hunter

Return to Archery