BOW LENGTH

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

BOW LENGTH

Postby steelslinger » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:13 pm

I need an answer about bow length, I am going to buy a buddy of mine a bow and need to make sure the draw length fits him. Trying to keep this on the DL but may end up just asking him. He is 6'4" if this helps and any suggestion on a starter bow that is just a couple of hundred dollars would be nice too.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Re: BOW LENGTH

Postby okwaterfowler » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:07 pm

I would either ask him or you can buy the bow and take it to the pro shop at a later time to get him fitted for it. There are other things to consider also like peep sight adjustment and draw weight. Probably the best thing to do is taking him with you to buy the bow, There really is no way around buying one to fit him perfectly without those specifications. It would be really hard to find something new for that price without buying a youth bow, I would recommend seeing about a used bow or a packaged deal at bps or cabelas. The redhead kronik is a good bow package that has everything needed to shoot already on it, they run about $399.
okwaterfowler
hunter

Postby MossyGO! » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

I'm thinking your best bet is to buy a gift card to a shop or store and just write bow on it. Make it obvious that you intended the money to go towards a bow but you didn't know his requirements.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lameduck » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:25 am

I am 6'1'' but have a 6'5'' wingspan, I draw a 29''. Some people are shaped weird most people have a wingspan within an inch of their height but usually the taller you are the more funky it gets. I would just take him to the bow shop and say that you want to test out some new bows and then have him get fitted "just for grins." Find out his draw length and then get the bow. There are way too many variables.
lameduck
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:28 am

steelslinger wrote:I need an answer about bow length, I am going to buy a buddy of mine a bow and need to make sure the draw length fits him. Trying to keep this on the DL but may end up just asking him. He is 6'4" if this helps and any suggestion on a starter bow that is just a couple of hundred dollars would be nice too.

Damn that's nice to buy your buddy a new bow....yea i'd just go into a pro shop and start looking at bow and look at the sticker that says draw length and be like hey man do you know what your draw length is, lets go see, and your in.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:55 pm

What's his wingspan? There's a formula you can use to get his draw length. Measure tip to tip of his fingers and divide that number by 2.5 and that should get his proper draw. That is a VERY rough estimate. The best way you can get his draw length is to have him make a fist and put it against the wall just like he was shooting a bow (same posture and everything) and measure from the wall to the corner of his mouth (where he should anchor).
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Archery