How much lb do you really need

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

How much lb do you really need

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:05 pm

I've never owned a bow and was wandering if you could tell me how much lb you need. I'm going to be hunting white tail and turkeys. I can decide between 50-60 or 60-70. I'm 6'1" and about 190lb. I'm no runt, but I'm not huge. I'm left handed so I cant go to the local shop and try bows, any help would be great.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Re: How much lb do you really need

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 pm

50lbs would be fine. People shoot deer and turkey with 50lbs recurves and compounds put out more energy than recurves. You don't need to focus on draw weight, but on the kinetic energy. For deer type game (light skinned and boned) from what I've read 25-40lbs of kinetic energy is good. To take anything in North America I've always heard 55lbs of kinetic energy.

Here's a calculator:

http://www.ajdesigner.com/phpenergykene ... uation.php
(Make sure you switch the speed to feet/second and the weight to grains)

If you shoot a 300 grain arrow (which your arrow will probably be quite a bit heavier) at 200 fps (which you should be a little faster) you'll be right at 26 ft/lbs. That being said, if you shoot aluminum arrows your kinetic energy will go up. Weight plays more into KE than speed and aluminum weighs more than carbon. You can also buy inserts for your arrows that will up the weight (I'm not a big aluminum fan myself).
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby berettaguy17 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:40 pm

actually Preach velocity has more to do than weight because it is multiplied by itself in the formula. but i would get 60-70 that way u can start at 60 then if u feel like going more you can go to 65 or 70. dont trust the IBO speed on bow because thats with nothing on the bow, they shoot a 350 grain arrow at 70# and 30" draw so you will never shoot what it says u will. you will want to make sure you have the right set up and a "tuned" bow. I dont just mean papertuned either. you want the right spine for your arrows and the right weight and speed to get the most KE you can. really check into the arrows you buy because you dont want them too light or too heavy, the heavier the more forgiving but the lighter the more speed you can get, thats all just my opinion you can PM me fi u have more ?'s
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:01 am

I have known several guys shooting compunds to back them down to 45 pounds and still say they can pass through a deers ribs every time. No need to kill your shoulders!!!!
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." my motto

There is nothing better than hunting with friends and then crackin' a couple of cold ones afterwards.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fallnl » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:07 pm

I've only ever used 55lbs....4 deer and 2 turkeys later in 5 years...Works just fine... :thumbsup:
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:37 am

How big are your deer? Would that make a dif? The deer here are pretty big, alot bigger than I've seen other places. I was just wandering if that would make a dif or not.

Thanks for all the help!
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:38 am

i think it does make a difference. our deer here are big and can have a lot of fat in them. i would call it safe anywhere from 50 and up, me personally because i can, i will pull as much as i can for faster arrow speed and better kenetic energy. i pull back 70 pounds.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby okwaterfowler » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:58 am

I pull back 55 lbs, that doesn't mean that I can't pull back 60 or 65 but there is no need to. I can hold a draw much longer with a 55 lb bow with 65% let off far longer than I can hold back 65lbs with 65% let off. There is no need to kill yourself and your shoulder.
okwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:41 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:actually Preach velocity has more to do than weight because it is multiplied by itself in the formula. but i would get 60-70 that way u can start at 60 then if u feel like going more you can go to 65 or 70. dont trust the IBO speed on bow because thats with nothing on the bow, they shoot a 350 grain arrow at 70# and 30" draw so you will never shoot what it says u will. you will want to make sure you have the right set up and a "tuned" bow. I dont just mean papertuned either. you want the right spine for your arrows and the right weight and speed to get the most KE you can. really check into the arrows you buy because you dont want them too light or too heavy, the heavier the more forgiving but the lighter the more speed you can get, thats all just my opinion you can PM me fi u have more ?'s

Yes it does get multiplied by itself, but it is a lot easier to get more grains out of your arrow than more speed off your bow. Gaining 10fps off your bow or adding 10 grains to your arrow does about the same to your KE.

That being said I guarantee you that you can get 10 grains added to your arrow very easily. Gaining 10 fps in dang near impossible. That's why the traditional archers shoot such clunky arrows. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fallnl » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:18 pm

I grew up hunting in Wyoming..And 55lbs worked for the mulies and elk out there...No problem.
If it flies...It might not die, but by God it will get a damned good dodging workout!!!

2009 TOTALS:
Mallard: 5

Team Quackers for Quackers...(the lowly probie)
fallnl
hunter

Postby strenfro » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Personally, I say that a person should shoot whatever feels comfortable. If you feel like you can pull back 70 lbs in very cold temps having sit in a stand all day with big bulky clothes on, then shoot 70 lbs. If you feel like 55 would be best for your most extreme conditions, then go for it. Most bows today have enough speed and energy even at lower poundages that they will do fine on whitetail and definetly turkey. I killed my first deer w/ a bow at 13 pulling about 45 lbs.

Another personal preference. I don't pay much attention to kinetic energy, but rather cutting surface. In my opinon, a good broadhead is more important than speed. The way I look at it is that a person could shoot a deer with a field tip at a super high kinetic energy, but it would be hard to track and do minimal damage with little blood loss. More cutting surface will allow more blood loss and make tracking easier, even if you do not pass throug. But then again, most bows now shoot fast enough at even 55 lbs that you shouldn't have to worry about that nowdays.
strenfro
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:09 am

strenfro wrote:Personally, I say that a person should shoot whatever feels comfortable. If you feel like you can pull back 70 lbs in very cold temps having sit in a stand all day with big bulky clothes on, then shoot 70 lbs. If you feel like 55 would be best for your most extreme conditions, then go for it. Most bows today have enough speed and energy even at lower poundages that they will do fine on whitetail and definetly turkey. I killed my first deer w/ a bow at 13 pulling about 45 lbs.

Another personal preference. I don't pay much attention to kinetic energy, but rather cutting surface. In my opinon, a good broadhead is more important than speed. The way I look at it is that a person could shoot a deer with a field tip at a super high kinetic energy, but it would be hard to track and do minimal damage with little blood loss. More cutting surface will allow more blood loss and make tracking easier, even if you do not pass throug. But then again, most bows now shoot fast enough at even 55 lbs that you shouldn't have to worry about that nowdays.

well the reason im pulling 70 is because i have a shorter draw length, for every inch off the 30 inch they use for IBO is 10 fps lower, im not saying you cant kill critters at 45 or 55, but i feel much more comfortable with more speed. and for every pound less than 70 you pull back you will be about 2 fps lower. so say you have a bow with an IBO of 316, your pulling 60 pounds and 26 inch draw with a 400 gr arrow, your gunna be at about 240 fps and there are gunna be people saying they are shooting 316 and when they try to figure KE they will think they have 88 ft/lbs of KE when really they have about 51

as for cutting surface that does not matter much, its more about how good of a shot you are. you can go out and shoot a deer through both lungs with a field point and another deer through both lungs with a bh and i will bet you they fall within 20 yards of the same distance, thats why i get so picky about when people dont know much about their bow or know much about having it tuned properly for the best accuracy, arrow flight, and KE. all just my opinion though.

preach, i agree with the heavier arrow idea, but i would still feel more comfortable with speed, less chance of string jumpers and of course you will be flatter shooting and more accurate out to longer distances.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 pm

I need 70 because I'm comfortable 25ft off the ground pulling it.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Return to Archery