.22 mag trajectory info (if anyone cares)

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

.22 mag trajectory info (if anyone cares)

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:44 am

I looked all over for .22 mag ballistics charts for the CCI 30 grain v-max without any luck. So I hit the back yard one afternoon and although I cant give you velocities (dont have a chrono) I can share some trajectory info with you. These are all 3 shot groups at various yardages up to 80 yds (dont have anymore room than that in my yard).

35 yds...dead on, two holes touching the other not far off.
50 yds...+.75", less than 1/2" group
65 yds...+.75" still, with less than 3/4" group
80 yds...+.75" yet still, with about 1" group

Although I ran out of room I have to imagine that .75" is the mid range trajectory, I cant really see it climbing higher than that after maintaining for 30 straight yards. I still need to complete the chart to see about where it runs out of steam. My guess would be that the POI should be at the POA again at right about 100 yds then continuing to fall after that. Im not real impressed with the grouping...May have been shooter error, but all in all not too bad. It seems that Federal 30 grain JHPs group a little better but Id have to buy another box to be sure. All shots fired were out of a Marlin 882L with a 22" micro-groove barrel.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Re: .22 mag trajectory info (if anyone cares)

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Usually Hornady and Remington have some sort of ballistic info on the boxes of ammo if you're still looking for some charts. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:51 pm

Thanks for the tip.

I dont shoot Hornady or Remington ammo though. At least not in my .22 wmr. When I first got it about 10 years ago I shot Winchester Supreme 34 grain JHP, shortly after that I found the Federal Premier 32 grain JHP shot alot better and Ive been shooting those ever since. I did put a box of Remingtion V-max through it but I dont think they shot as well as the Feds. This last time I went to buy ammo for it neither the local gun shop or Gander Mtn. had the Feds so I settled for the CCIs which as far as I can tell shoot fairly well. Although Ive shot 4 woodchucks with them this spring Im not really sold on the performance yet. This past winter I shot a coyote in the brisket (facing me) at about 50 or 60 yards with the Federals and dumped him right there. He was dead before he even hit the ground. A couple of those "dirt pigs" I shot this spring with the CCIs took more than 1 shot to kill which I guess is to be expected when your shooting a rimfire over 125 yards. I just need to get some "apple to apple" comparisons to see if they really perform as well as the Federals do.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:20 am

What CCI's did you use? I've been shooting the CCI TNT rounds through my .22 WM pistol and I like them a lot. From what I can tell they are a Gold Dot personal protection round shrunk down to a rimfire size.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:26 am

Mudslinger, that's not a horrible group @ 100 yards but you should really buy a box of the 30 grn V-MAX Hornady's. I went from shooting 1" @ 100 yards out of my 882 SSV with the CCI 40 grains to less than a 1/2". I can shoot all 3 shots touching @ 100 yards with those bullets. I've tried quite a few different rounds and nothing comes close to the accuracy of them. Even the Remington 33 grain grouped 2" @ 100 yards. Here's a picture of a 5 shot group @ 60 yards from a few different bullets I tested. The orange squares are 1" x 1" FYI.

And here is my gun.

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:24 pm

Here is some good ballistic data on the WMR for you.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/22_win_mag.html
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum