Black Powder Barrel Question

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Black Powder Barrel Question

Postby 20bolt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:26 am

I am looking at getting an Omega BP. My gut says to go for the SS barrel, but I cant get it with a straight stock.
How important is a SS barrel for Black Powder? Is it really that much better than a Steel Weathershield barrel?
Support Conservation Efforts
Hunters and non-hunters alike should support wilderness conservation by both personal actions like conserving natural resources, and by supporting the good work of institutions like Ducks Unlimited.
20bolt
hunter

Re: Black Powder Barrel Question

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 pm

We have the Omega with a straight stock and stainless barrel at Gander. Believe it or not stainless steel will rust just as fast as regular blued steel, and I think those matte stainless finishes are worse than blued steel. Either way you have to clean it every time you shoot it. If you've got a Gander Mountain near you tell them to call Ryan at store 320 in Knoxville, TN. I'll get it transferred to your store if we still have it. Shoot me a PM and I'll tell you when I work so you can make sure they call me.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:47 pm

Actually nevermind. I think you're calling weather shield what I'm calling stainless. Just so we know, is this what you're looking for?

http://www.gandermountain.com/assets/im ... 692_L1.jpg

I'll see what I have tomorrow when I go in if I remember.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 20bolt » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 pm

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/omegaMuzzleloaders.php

I dont really know if this is accurate because TC also claims that the Weathershield is over SS barrels, but I have read everywhere else that it is actually steel.
Support Conservation Efforts
Hunters and non-hunters alike should support wilderness conservation by both personal actions like conserving natural resources, and by supporting the good work of institutions like Ducks Unlimited.
20bolt
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:37 am

Beats me. I'd trust the company over jack and joe schmo though.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum