buying first rifle

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

buying first rifle

Postby trice12 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:01 pm

I am planning to buy my first rifle in about 2 weeks. I have been looking at the remington .30-06 and the savage 300. i'm leaning more towards the savage. was wondering if anyone could offer any intel on either gun or might have another suggestion. I'll be hunting whitetail deer in southeastern north carolina. i have some stands in the swamps and some overlooking corn and bean fields. I have always hunted with a shotgun and never had a problem but last year lost 2 deer in the swamps both deer were wounded but i lost the bloodtrail when they ran off into the swamp. Looked for those deer for about 2 days. I hate it when wounded game get left behind but hard to track deer in water. So i want something that will drop them where they stand. when hunting the fields the longest shot will be between 200 and 300 yards. thanx for the help.
trice12
hunter

Re: buying first rifle

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:06 pm

30-06 is a great versatile round, can't go wrong there. I bought a ruger 30-06 a couple of years ago and its a great gun.

If you're just shooting white tails, .270 would also be a good choice as well.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:14 am

I'm a Remington guy myself. My dad doesn't like Savage and I guess it kind of rubbed off on me. I like Rugers, Remingtons, and Brownings. That being said, Savage has come a long way since my dad's day and makes a fine gun, I just won't own one. Just like I won't carry a 9mm.

As for .30/06 just like GroundSwatter said, it's probably the most versitile cartridge out there. Can't go wrong with it. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OrangeLake » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:46 am

Both make good rifles. I prefer a Savage for their great AccuTrigger as well as accuracy. What models in specific are you looking at?
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby trice12 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:14 pm

OrangeLake wrote:Both make good rifles. I prefer a Savage for their great AccuTrigger as well as accuracy. What models in specific are you looking at?

not sure of a specific model. but those are the same reasons why i'm looking at getting a savage. do you recommend any specific model. I've owned remington shotguns and never a problem so i know they make good guns. would love to get a browning but from what i've seen pockets not that deep with a baby due in 4 days. rugers are nice to thats what we used when i worked for the department of corrections.
trice12
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Check out Savagearms.com and see what you like. I have an older model, the 110, and my father has the newer 111. They've come a long way since then as well. The AccuTrigger has come out, as well as their new AccuStock, which we'll just have to wait and see if it improves accuracy or not. It won't hurt it though. Also, you may check out the Marlin XL7. It is can be found for about $300 and shoots Minute-of-Angle groups out of the box. MOA is 1" groups @ 100yds, 2" @ 200yds, etc. It has had really good reviews too.

Really, all these rifles will kill deer just as dead, and you don't have to have a MOA gun to make a kill shot every time. Mainly get the one you like best.
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:15 pm

OrangeLake wrote:
Really, all these rifles will kill deer just as dead, and you don't have to have a MOA gun to make a kill shot every time. Mainly get the one you like best.

Yeah, best thing to do is go to the store, pick them up and see which one you really like. See if they'll let you pull the trigger to get a feel for it. I have nothing against savage. I have heard some bad things about some of the new remington rifles. I love my ruger!

Just go check them out and see what fits.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby trice12 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:00 pm

thanks for all the advice and i do plan to go to the store to check them out. i'll try to remember to ask about the trigger. most of the gun shops around here ask you not to dry fire the guns but i don't know about fayetteville, nc which is where i plan to buy it at the prices up there seem to be a little cheaper regardless of the gun.
trice12
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:08 pm

trice12 wrote:thanks for all the advice and i do plan to go to the store to check them out. i'll try to remember to ask about the trigger. most of the gun shops around here ask you not to dry fire the guns but i don't know about fayetteville, nc which is where i plan to buy it at the prices up there seem to be a little cheaper regardless of the gun.

Dry firing a modern center fire gun shouldn't be a problem. Older center fires and rim fires could be an issue. How else are you supposed to know if you like the trigger?
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby trice12 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:32 pm

i agree with you but a couple of weeks ago i was in a local gun shop an elderly gentleman was looking at guns and dry fired one. the guy that worked there told him he couldn't dry fire them that if he wanted to do that he needed to buy it. i decided then to go fayetteville to buy mine.
trice12
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:41 pm

It hurts nothing to dry fire a centerfire rifle. how else would you practice proper trigger control. You can always get the snap caps if worried about it hurting any thing. I usally try to practice at least four or five times a week and probally pull it a few hundred times everytime i sit down. It helps with constanly doing everything the same and my accuracy has improved.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum