Anyone built an AR15?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Anyone built an AR15?

Postby msmall » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Getting ready to start my first AR build and was wondering if anyone has ever built one from scratch? I also have a legal question about it. I bought a stripped lower marked "pistol", I assume that means I can put an upper under 16" on it, but do I have to have just a buffer assembly or can I mount a collapsable stock on it? :huh: Just worried that if I put a stock on it, they will consider it a rifle.
msmall
hunter

Re: Anyone built an AR15?

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:03 pm

If you have a pistol marked Lower and put a m4 stock (or any stock) on it it now is considered a rifle, If the barrel is under 16" then it is a "short barrel rifle" and in most places it requires a tax stamp or license to own. I have built to many AR's to count and I stay away from building pistols. For one they are not the most reliable of the AR's but once you get them tuned they are usually fine. The rifles on the other hand are plug and play for lack of better terms. The parts are mil-spec and I have not run into any interchange issues from any parts suppliers. as far as the law goes when you purchase the lower receiver you have purchased a "gun" not just a receiver. so building your own from parts is no issue at all as long as you use parts that are legal for the application, Pistol receivers must have a buffer tube only and it can not have provisions to slide a stock on it (but I have seen several people do this). Have fun and enjoy building it yourself. the best upgrade you can do whild building it is a RRA match trigger they are not expensive and well worth installing.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby msmall » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:08 am

Thanks for the advice waterfowl ... Thats what I kinda figured. I think I will put that lower away and buy another rifle lower or just build that pistol lower to rifle specs ..... Any good online stores you recommend for AR parts?? How is DPMS's stuff? Good quality?
msmall
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:04 am

Nope, but I'm making 20" 7.62 sniper barrels that will go to Afghanistan soon :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mw46 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:32 pm

msmall wrote:Thanks for the advice waterfowl ... Thats what I kinda figured. I think I will put that lower away and buy another rifle lower or just build that pistol lower to rifle specs ..... Any good online stores you recommend for AR parts?? How is DPMS's stuff? Good quality?

midwayusa an cheaperthandirt.com are good places to start,although alot of people carry AR stuff now so a search might bring something up. I have a DPMS and havent had any issues whatsoever except an extremely bad trigger(stiff,heavy,creepy) it groups good but could do much better. Waterfowl was dead on about the RRA,my bro-in-law has one and the trigger is great and the gun itself is a tackdriver,although Ive heard their bolt carriers werent interchangable with other brands? Could be wrong though
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:31 am

mw46 wrote:Waterfowl was dead on about the RRA,my bro-in-law has one and the trigger is great and the gun itself is a tackdriver,although Ive heard their bolt carriers werent interchangable with other brands? Could be wrong though

The bolt carriers will work in any ar-15 upper, they are mil-spec just like the rest of them. I have them in Mega uppers and in a DPMS and there are no issues at all.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sinister » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:37 am

Finished this last week:
I wasn't expecting to get my Stag Model 5HL before deer season so I am quite happy, I ordered some SSA 110 grain Nosler Accu bonds which should be here soon, so I can get it all zero'd in before deer season. I got some of my parts from brownells, and the stock from blackthorneproducts.com. I bought a Stag lower from a local gun shop, and the upper and carry handle directly from Stag Arm's.
Sinister
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum