squirrel gun help

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

squirrel gun help

Postby HunterX » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:58 pm

This will be the first time I'm buying a rifle but I'm currently in the market for a .22 rifle for squirrel but stumped on what to get since there are so much to choose from. I'm trying to limit myself to 4 bills including the scope. Anybody have any good combos that they have had success with? Leaning towards a semi-auto rifle but don't mind hearing what others have to say.
HunterX
hunter

Re: squirrel gun help

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:42 am

I have a Marlin 981T. I like it a lot because it will shoot short, long, and long rifle shells. Used to load it with shorts and take it on the trapline before I bought a pistol and would use the LR's for hunting. I still use the shorts when I trap around neighborhoods. It shoots very well too. If you're really wanting a semi then go with a Ruger 10/22. You can do a lot of thing to them to make them very accurate.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Coolest squirrel gun I ever saw was an O/U. The top barrel was a .22 long rifle and the bottom barrel was a .410.

If you want a semi-auto, I would go with Ruger 10/22.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 pm

5 SHOTS, 65 YARDS

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:34 pm

My ruger 10-22 target rifle will punch 10 shots into a dime @ 100 meters but it is a bit heavy to carry around the woods. I like my Henry Lever or my ruger 10-22 sporter (no barrel band) as both will take a pop can @100 yards easily and the henry can shoot shorts, Longs, and LR's. if I could only have one 22 it would be my henry.....
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:45 am

WFH, that is the only issue I have with my WMR is the weight...of course adding the laminated stock, bipod and big scope didn't help either. I actually don't mind it for squirrel hunting though since I spend a lot more time sitting than I do walking.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum