squirrel gun help

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

squirrel gun help

Postby HunterX » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:58 pm

This will be the first time I'm buying a rifle but I'm currently in the market for a .22 rifle for squirrel but stumped on what to get since there are so much to choose from. I'm trying to limit myself to 4 bills including the scope. Anybody have any good combos that they have had success with? Leaning towards a semi-auto rifle but don't mind hearing what others have to say.
HunterX
hunter

Re: squirrel gun help

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:42 am

I have a Marlin 981T. I like it a lot because it will shoot short, long, and long rifle shells. Used to load it with shorts and take it on the trapline before I bought a pistol and would use the LR's for hunting. I still use the shorts when I trap around neighborhoods. It shoots very well too. If you're really wanting a semi then go with a Ruger 10/22. You can do a lot of thing to them to make them very accurate.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Coolest squirrel gun I ever saw was an O/U. The top barrel was a .22 long rifle and the bottom barrel was a .410.

If you want a semi-auto, I would go with Ruger 10/22.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 pm

5 SHOTS, 65 YARDS

Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:34 pm

My ruger 10-22 target rifle will punch 10 shots into a dime @ 100 meters but it is a bit heavy to carry around the woods. I like my Henry Lever or my ruger 10-22 sporter (no barrel band) as both will take a pop can @100 yards easily and the henry can shoot shorts, Longs, and LR's. if I could only have one 22 it would be my henry.....
CPL holder since 1991, NRA Lifetime Member, DU Member, NICET certified

"For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.—Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:45 am

WFH, that is the only issue I have with my WMR is the weight...of course adding the laminated stock, bipod and big scope didn't help either. I actually don't mind it for squirrel hunting though since I spend a lot more time sitting than I do walking.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum