A question for Dad

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

A question for Dad

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Guys,

I don't know squat about handguns but I do have one! :yes:

Anyway...Dad has a Smith semi 9MM I bought him about 15 years ago. Double action. His hands have gotten arthritic at 83 yrs and he has a hard time pulling back the slide. This is a home defense piece of mind for him and I highly doubt it will ever be needed. That said - for his piece of mind...would shortening the slide spring make this easier for him or is that a bad/dangerous idea for some reason.

Thanks for any input. The gun has about 50 rounds through it.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Re: A question for Dad

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:39 pm

You can put a lighter spring in there, but it could increase the chances of a jam. In all honesty I'd buy him a double action revolver. There isn't a slide to pull back that way. :thumbsup: You could sell the 9mm and put that money into one.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:11 am

Thanks Preacher...I've considered that but he has an old Rossi .38 5 shot also. He really likes the Smith and as getting older brings enough frustration was hoping I could soften the effort on the slide.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 pm

You could get him a better automatic then. In my opinion Glocks have the easiest slide to pull back and they are the most reliable auto out there. Might take him to a gun store to "trade up" for a birthday present or something.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:36 am

Preacher1011 wrote:You could get him a better automatic then. In my opinion Glocks have the easiest slide to pull back and they are the most reliable auto out there. Might take him to a gun store to "trade up" for a birthday present or something.

I see how ya are Preacher...you just want me to buy another new gun! :yes: :thumbsup:

I appreciate the ideas but I think at this point I'd like to find a way to soften the slide with a lighter spring if possible. I am not sure how those are measured and what replacement would be appropriate. It's no more difficult than my broken in Jericho 941.

While I am sure adrenaline would get him through the worst case scenario...I am trying to soften piece of mind as much as slide.

Maybe i'll just tell him to use the 9mm Ruger carbine he bought after 9/11. :beer:

Any ideas on springs welcomed.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:55 am

What's the model? You could try to see if Brownell's has a replacement spring for it. That or talk to a gun smith. :thumbsup:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby marsh1buster » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:23 pm

as it is still a "new" gun and hasn't been broken in, I would suggest taking it to the range and shooting a few more rounds through it. I've noticed that with all my auto's after a few hundred rounds through them actually "broke them in." Instead of trading in go to the range, spend some time with Dad and let him get to know his gun better under a controlled environment, instead of the off chance he should ever have to use it. Good luck and HAVE FUN! :grooving:
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/inde ... rerid=6847
PRETA--People for the Reasonably Ethical Treatment of Animals

If you love animals but don't lose sleep over whether a fish has feelings, this group's for you!
marsh1buster
hunter

Postby fenton_3 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Replacing the spring with a lighter one would be a bad idea. If he is getting to old there is also a chance he will not provide enough resistance for the gun to cycle in a dangerous situation. I think the suggest of buying him a quality revolver is a great idea. A .38 special +P would be perfect!
fenton_3
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Having thought about the comments...I agree it's time to head to a controlled range enviornment and see where he is with dexterity.

It's a tough call...works 40 hours a week managing a foundation, drives, lives alone and finished a two week trip in the UP bass fishing on his own. :yes:

All that good stuff at his age but some things creep up as challenges moreso than others. The issues accelerate at that age,

Appreciate everyones input - I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum