New slug gun

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

New slug gun

Postby HuntersDad » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:32 am

Just picked up this beauty from my local shop. Traded a Mossberg 500 for it. I'm pretty sure they didn't know what they had. I'm seeing these go for $500+ on gunbroker. Hopefully I can get my first ever deer with it this season.

HuntersDad
hunter

Re: New slug gun

Postby OrangeLake » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:15 pm

Looks nice! I've always been curious, what's the accurate range on a slug gun?
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby HuntersDad » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:22 pm

I've heard of guys taking deer at 200 yards with them.
HuntersDad
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Wow, and with a chunk of lead that big it's packing a punch.
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:46 am

Hornandy says theirs are good to 250 if I'm not mistaken.

Nice gun by the way. I've always liked that gray laminate wood.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Nice looking 870 and not a bad deal either. :thumbsup: I like 500's but in a rifled barrel I think the remington is a bit better even though Mossberg was the first company to sell rifled shotgun barrels, they have a slow twist which is not that great with modern sabots.

Some slug guns are very accurate, My BPS was 1" @ 100yds with winchester supreme Partitions. it would only shoot the 3" Mags this good as the 2-3/4" were all over the place. I took a Ranged 285 yd shot on a deer and it was a complete pass thru with a LOT of damage to the shoulder and internals. I have a mil-dot scope on it and had a lot of practice with this gun at various ranges so I knew where it would hit at any range out to 300 yds. It was not my intention to shoot that far but I hunt bean fields in a shotgun only zone so 150 yd shots are common. this deer just irritated me, He walked into my sons stand about 15 min after he walked up to my stand because he was "bored" it was a slight down hill shot and he went about 20 yds and dropped. It was interesting as I shot and then just a second later we heard it hit.

Point being is that you can get a barrel, scope, ammo combination to shoot good at longer distance than once possible. My SBE was shooting under an inch @ 100 yds with the shaw barrel, I sold that gun because I wanted the Camo Version (yea, I know I could have had it dipped) and the new one will not shoot under 2" with any ammo I can buy. I also sold the BPS just because I had the SBE/shaw combo and I do not like pumps so I really screwed myself over this time. Looking at a TC Pro Hunter to replace the SBE Slug Barrel. :biggrin: If that does not Work I am buying another BPS...
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Lakeside41 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:26 pm

I agree with you waterfowlhunter on the BPS I am left handed so I bought one. It shoots awesome! However now that we have gone to rifles in my area I have not used it much. I am now trying to buy a rifle. Just trying to narrow down the calibur.
2009 Season
Canada Geese: 5
Wood Duck: 10
Mallard: 2
Crow: 1
Lakeside41
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum