Duck Hunting Forum banner

Good scope for a .270

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  bgoldhunter 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals.
Have a new Browning A-Bolt .270 wsm.

Since I already have a 3-9 x4 bushnell 3200 elite on both my .7mm and 300wm. Was wondering if there is a better scope for the .270 out there. Thinking that I might end up with three Bushnells. What say you?

Thanks,
slow

#4 ·
for that price range tough to beat the 3200. Nikin buckamster 4.5-14 is a nice scope. I hope you meant they are the best scope out there in this price range because there are alot better scopes they just cost a little more. nsx, premier, uso, schmidt&bender,vortex are just a few that are better but alot more cash.

#5 ·
I've used a 3-9x40 3200, and still own a 4-16x40 4200. Nice scopes for the money, but for a touch more boot, you could have better.

I'm taken with the 3.5-10 Leupold VX-III (or VX-3). I'd personally smack that one on the 7Mag and throw the 3200 on the new A-Bort. That way, the best scope rides the best chamber mentioned.

#6 ·
Great ideas! Thanks!

I think that scope switch out might work out really well. That 7mm wsm can shoot long...

WIll have to go eyeball the leopold & bushnells and see what's affordable and usable. Wish I had the long green to go buy the tip top of the line but I'm certain I would just drop something on a rock if I paid top dollar.

#8 ·
Kurt said:
for that price range tough to beat the 3200. Nikin buckamster 4.5-14 is a nice scope. I hope you meant they are the best scope out there in this price range because there are alot better scopes they just cost a little more. nsx, premier, uso, schmidt&bender,vortex are just a few that are better but alot more cash.
I figured that was kind of implied. I've never used any of the expensive ones or looked through one so I can't compare them. I do like Elites more than Nikon or Leupold. When you buy a .50 cal package from Barret a Bushnell Elite is going to be on top. A guy at work builds sniper rifles for several police departments around here as well as goes to Africa all the time. He puts Elites on everything. I don't think I'd spend any more on a scope. Just my opinion though. Guess I'd have to look at a fancy one before I gave an honest opinion though...

#9 ·
if the barrets would come with the elite why is the bors ballistics sysytem that they make for thier rifles not even compatable with them. Mark 4, nsx, and s&b are the only ones. Could not find any packages that say they are sent with those scopes. I think you might have read that bushnell recoil tested them with a .50. Nope i was wrong they recoil tested the 3200 with 1000 rounds did not say with which cal. The 4200 is tested to 10000 rounds with the .375 h&h. They dont have enough internal adjusments to make them worth while on a round like that only 80 moa. That being said for your average guy shoots 10 times a year guy they will do anything you want and more. just looked at the price and the 6500 is 929 and 4200 is up in the mid 500 and up. Not exactly cheap. But let me warn you if ever do get a chance to shoot with one of the high end glass makers you will never want to shoot with out it. Heres a little tid bit on the leo snipers most shots are not over 100 yds in there situations. i used to by cheaper glass but if i would have just saved and bought quality glass i would be ahead. Right now the next scope i am getting will be the 3x9-42 super sniper from swfa for 600. it is a mil/mil match reticle and adjustments and ffp scope which there are no other scopes with those features in that price range.

#10 ·
Maybe they don't come with them... Guess I should stop taking peoples word for stuff. Just makes me come off like an idiot. :no: I might give that super sniper a try. Don't know any dealers though and don't want to buy a scope I haven't looked through. I'm going to need something to throw on my Remington 700 SPS Varmint I'm going to get made for a competition rig. That might be awhile though. I'll probably wind up going Bushnell though since they give us a discount at work.

#12 ·
you have to get the ss from swfa.com they have a 100% satisfaction so if you got it and did not like it send it back for a full refund. The reviews from people who are in the know say it is above anything that leupy makes i.e. mark 4. And for 600 bucks is a steal.

#13 ·
You young wipper snappers from 16 to 30 can use iron sights........

The average hunter needs 3-9 power..................

and us old farts need 18 power and a Valume!!

Just depends on the range , rifle and how good you eye sight is, for most hunters.

Now adays, you get what you pay for..............with $170 as a base line.

#14 ·
Power of the scope depends on what you're shooting it at. If you think you may get some closer shots or take running shots, a 3x9 may be to powerfull. I have a Leupold VXIII 2.5x8 on my A bolt and I couldn't be happier with it deer hunting. I've got a 1x4 on my semi auto and a 2x7 on another bolt gun. I bought my A bolt used and the scope used, the whole deal cost me less than 6 bills. You get what you pay for with optics, if you allways hunt good weather in the middle of the day, a cheap scope will get you by, but if you hunt bad weather or morning/evening low light conditions a better scope is well worth the money. I'd pay more for a top end used scope than less for a new low end one. I buy Leupold (I have 3)and am very satisfied with them, but if I could afford it I'd have Zeis or Swarovski. I also have some cheaper scopes on some guns I don't use as much, Tasco, TC, Bushnel, you can definately see the difference.

#15 ·
Ain't no way barret rifles come with bushnell scopes. They actually made their own scope with integrated processor for them.

As far as your new rifle you'd have a hard time beating a vx3 for the money. But depending on your desires on a budget anothe bushnell would be perfect!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.