Duck Hunting Forum banner

good .223

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  SirPuddleDuck 
#1 ·
I can get a good deal on a H&R ultra hunter and was just wondering what everyone thought of this gun how is it over all as of durablility and how is the trigger. If not this gun what would be a good bolt action .223 for cheap

#3 ·
A few years back my brother bought a .243 H&R Handi Rifle for my nephew's first deer gun. I sighted it in for them and was able to shoot approx 1 MOA groups with 95 gr Ballistic Tips or 100gr Game King loads from Federal. Matter of fact, the little sucker sat w/ his Dad in a box blind that afternoon and killed his first deer- an 18" wide 10 pointer...damn him :thumbsup:

The rifle is dependable, simple, easy to clean and in my opinion a good inexpensive or first rifle. The trigger isn't bad- could use some work but I've seen and shot much worse factory triggers. A couple weeks later my Bro bought a bull barrel H&R .223 for targets and steel plinking and it is also a good rifle as long as one doesn't shoot Wolf ammo through it.

#5 ·
If that rifle has a barrel twist like a 1 in 10 vs a 1 in 14 inch , it will shoot the heavy 60-80 grain bullets
that will be a lot better on deer than the standard 55 grain bullets that are about maxed out with 1 in 14 barrels.

If you reload there are lots of great bullets out there to "Tinker " with and remember, they don't always have to go at
Maximum speed, to get the best accuracy, since anything close to 900 ft/lbs of energy will put down a deer, with propper
shot placement.

Those guys that shoot those 30 cal mags with over a ton of energy are just wasting a lot of meat.

#10 ·
I have an H&R ultra varmint rifle in .223 with 1 in 12 twist. I shoots best with 40 or 50 grain Hornady V-Max or Nosler Ballistic Tips bullets but does fine with 55 grainers as well. The factory trigger isn't bad but I worked on mine getting it down to 2 1/2 # of pull and can shoot .250 to 3/8" groups with the gun at 150 yds. This fine for this gun as I use it for a truck rifle and don't have a small fortune wrapped up in the scope and gun if it get stolen.I have a 4-12 X 50 mm BSA scope on it. If I want to just go varmint hunting I'm in the process of building an AR-15 A3 with bull barrel for this purpose but will not leave it in my truck like the H&R for the groundhog,coyote or other pest I encouter while on my way home.

#11 ·
If not this gun what would be a good bolt action .223 for cheap
Another vote for the Stevens, which is actually a downgraded Savage. I think its a model 200, it might be 300. Anyways, a close look at the gun and its a Savage, with laser engraved bolt that says Stevens, no accu-stock or trigger. A buddy of mine bought one for small game & varmints, after break in he did a hand load and with the stock trigger, I witnessed bullet holes touching each other at 100 yards, says all

And like another poster said , less ca$h, buddy got it out the door under $300

I wouldn't buy a single shot rifle for the small ca$h outlay to ugrade to a bolt gun. The stock Stevens trigger is adjustable somewhat, there's a stick spring that runs into a set screw that set screw can be turned down a bit. The trigger itself is sintered metal, can't be polished or honed. STILL AN EXCELLENT CHOICE

hope that helps a bit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.