Swift Scopes ?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Swift Scopes ?

Postby Catskinner » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:59 pm

I bought a Model 70 7MM that has a Swift 4x12. I have no experience with these scopes so I was wondering if they have any issues and will they hold up to a magnum rifle.
Catskinner
hunter

Re: Swift Scopes ?

Postby Kurt » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:34 am

They are right in line with the tasco and barskas of the world junk. Now there will be people who will say i had one and it was great. well maybe if you shoot 10 times a year and just want to be able to hit a pie plate at 100 yds then the junk will be just fine. If you want to get some thing that is good at a good price check the vortex line of scopes out and also the nikon buckmaster scopes are alot of glass for the money. look at it this way you can spend 70 dollars every few years to buy new crap glass or just pay a little more now and be money ahead in the end. Vortex has the best cs(life time waranty) in the buisness the very few times it has been used.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:23 am

It seems you bought a nice rifle from somebody that originally had just enough money for the rifle itself and scrounged up enough pocket change for the scope. As far as Swift scopes are concerned, Kurt is pretty much right on. Optics is one arena that you definitely get what you pay for...and Swift is definitely at the bottom of that barrel in terms of pricing and performance.

Scopes in particular are highly segregated in terms of clarity, light transmission, rigidity, consistency (stays zeroed at varying magnification) and durability- and each of those factors adds dollars to the bottom line. Kurt made some good suggestions for moderately priced glass that will perform very well and I'd suggest adding entrance level Leupolds to that list.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Catskinner » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am a Leupold fan myself and I was planning on putting a VX II Or VX III on it when I can catch them on sale. This rifle is for my 16 year old boy but I have the same rifle and do my own reloading so I thought it would be more convenient to shoot the same guns. The swift may have to go on the old 1022 or in the classifieds.
Catskinner
hunter

Postby killerv » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:01 am

If you go with the leupold, please go with at least a vxIII, not there there is anything wrong with a vxII, I just believe there are better scopes for less money than the vxIIs, the nikon buckmaster series comes to mind. I've always been one where the scope should cost almost are atleast what the gun costs but the nikon buckmaster series blows that theory out of the water in my opinion. Lifetime warranties too. spend a little money now and your son will have a scope that will last him a lifetime.
killerv
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:31 am

VX-II is basically the old Vari-X III, and still blow most anything out of the water.

Buckmaster scopes are a waste of money....I've done my time with 'em.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Swift scopes are not that bad. Its not a swarovski or Zeiss but its a fine scope.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby Kurt » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:23 am

ya they serve there purpose as a paper weight just fine.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:07 pm

bgoldhunter wrote:VX-II is basically the old Vari-X III, and still blow most anything out of the water.

Buckmaster scopes are a waste of money....I've done my time with 'em.

:no: Please. The Buckmasters is hands-down the best $200 scope on the market. IMO the only thing that rivals it is the Bushnell Elite 3200.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Norsky » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:52 pm

I have VX3 and some Swift. It depends on what your using it for. If your bench shooting trying to shoot bughole groups the Swift has not been as consistant. The Leupold has lemons come out too. Most people have more scope than they are capable of shooting. As long as it shoots in the same spot and you can see what your shooting at save your money and buy better binoculars. The other thing Swift has going for it is the warranty. If anything is wrong with it bring it in to the place you bought it and they will give you a new one. Are they better than the high end scopes? No. Does it matter how nice of a car you have to drive to work?
Norsky
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Kurt wrote:ya they serve there purpose as a paper weight just fine.

Stick to watching your "Best of the West" videos. Not everyone needs or can afford a thousand dollar scope. For 200 bucks and under Swift is not a bad scope. Nikons buckmaster line is good too.

Swift has great customer service and warrantys. On a stock model 70 In 7mm and for a kid thats a perfectly acceptable setup. Unless of course the scope proves to be unreliable.

Now if we had a price range to compare to then that would help out a bit.

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

jrockncash
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:06 am

actually i think the huskemaw is for people who dont want to learn the ins and outs of shooting.but aaron davidson and those guys know there crap and can shoot. the buckmaster is a good scope a hell of alot better then any swift will ever be. and for 200 dollers vortex makes a hell of alot better scope than the swift. do a box test on a swift and see how that turns out. money ahead in the long run by saving a little more and getting some thing good than have to replace it every 4 or 5 years. not like i said any thing about s&B,premier heritage,night force, horus, hendsoldt or any of the other high end scope manufatures. there is nothing that will ever be said that will make me believe that swift,bsa, barska,tasco,simmons,nc star,even the illustrious countersniper scopes are even worth handling. learned my lesson the hard way bought junk at one time but never agin.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:56 pm

I dont know much about the Vortex scopes other than they are relatively new. I also dont know anyone that has one. I know of 3 guys with the Swift .44 mag scope and they really like it. I have a video at my house of my friend shooting 1078 yards at a 18" square of metal. He smokes it 7 times in a row until the wind shifts on him. In the video he's using a swift scope.

jrockncash
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:15 pm

lets see the footage always like to see some lr shooting. swift are still the bottom tier of scopes. nothing is going to change that.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:13 pm

I dont think its on Youtube yet, and I dont know if he would want me to put it up assuming I would even know how. :lol3: Kurt somehow I knew you wouldnt change your mind. Ha! :beer:

jrockncash
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum