IF you could pick only one rifle

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby Lakeside41 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:13 pm

I am left handed and have been borrowing my buddies left handed 270 for the past few years. I have decided it is time to buy my own rifle. I really like the 270. However, I only want to buy one rifle. If you could only afford one rifle that you could hunt almost everything in the world with, what caliber would it be?
I understand that many of you are going to suggest multiple calibers, but force yourself to pick only one caliber. Thank you!!!
2009 Season
Canada Geese: 5
Wood Duck: 10
Mallard: 2
Crow: 1
Lakeside41
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:33 pm


Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby apexhunter » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:40 pm

You won't find one rifle caliber capable of hunting as you say "most anything in the world" as that can range from a prairie dog to an elephant. That said, for the average hunter that hunts medium to larger (non dangerous) game from whitetails to bear & moose or even African plains game there are a few calibers that would suffice. To start the venerable 30-06 or 300 win mag (of either normal or short configuration) is good as you can shoot bullets ranging from 125gr for varmints up to 220gr for bigger game.

Another option would be a 7mm mag (again in either normal or short configuration) with loads ranging from 140gr to 175gr. Many will argue the lack of frontal area and overall bullet weight range as limiting the 7mm to the smaller of the large game (moose, bear, eland, kudu, etc), but with the added velocity and newer bullets available the 7 can handle most anything a normal 30 can.

You need to figure out what your typical use will be (whitetail, mule deer, bear, moose or what) and then you can zero in on the proper caliber for your use. If you are not going after larger animals like bear or something in Africa, the range of possibilities opens up dramatically. If you are planning on a safari, especially after dangerous game, your options are more limited as larger calibers are in order beginning with a fast 30, through the 375 and up. While these will definitely work on a whitetail size animal you would definitely be in the "over gunned" category. Typically speaking, a 30-06 is adequate for any of North America's medium and large game an is probably the most popular caliber of all time.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 2201
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:46 pm
Location: Apex, NC

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:49 pm

For anything in the world? I'd have to go with a .338 Win Mag in a Remington 700. Plenty of punch for nearly everything, using solids it would take down any and everything on the globe. For just North America I'd get a .30/06.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:24 pm

For anything in North America 30/06.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
User avatar
GroundSwatter
hunter
 
Posts: 3641
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: GTMO from NE Texas

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby Nomeite » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:41 pm

I would have to go with my 243 Win. I hunt rabbits, arctic and blue fox using 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, caribou with 100 grain Nosler Partition or Barnes Triple Shock bullets and Moose with 100 grain Barnes Triple Shock. I really like the versitilbaly of the 243. Just my $0.02.
Just because it is old dosen't make it a classic
User avatar
Nomeite
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:22 pm
Location: Nome, Alaska

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby slowshooter » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:12 pm

I don't even have one. But I would get a Remington 7mm mag.

Better ballistics than a 30-06.

I have a 7 mm WSM and I still want the Rem Mag....

:smile:
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9019
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby ajmorell » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:39 pm

30-06 hands down. You can find ammo anywhere you go and it will take any game in NA
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby devildog28 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:12 pm

My 798 in 30-06 hasn't failed me yet.
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2226
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby lunatic » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:36 pm

One rifle eh. It would be a 7X57 Mauser. Why because it has been proven in battle and in the field.
W.D.M. Bell has killed over 2000 elephants with a 7X57.
The trick is to use the right bullet for the job and a well placed shot also it will not take out your should or pocket book.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:21 pm
Location: The Wet Side of Washington

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby cjg » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:49 pm

I'll throw a vote in for the 30-06. Much more available ammo choices.
User avatar
cjg
hunter
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:46 am
Location: North Waterboro, Maine

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby hntnnut » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:28 am

Lower 48 .270 Win. + every where else but affrica .35 cal wildcat based on the .375 Ruger case, Throw in Africa and make that a .416 Rigby.

Richard
hntnnut
hunter
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:00 pm
Location: Lone Pine,CA

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby Lakeside41 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks guys!! I figured most would vote for the 30-06. I my head and gut tell me to go with the 30-06 but my heart wants to get the .270 or 7mm. I appreciate you all weighing in. I think my request should have been North America. I definitely understand Africa brings on new options. Thanks again.
2009 Season
Canada Geese: 5
Wood Duck: 10
Mallard: 2
Crow: 1
Lakeside41
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:33 pm

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby daffy... » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:04 pm

if your going bolt. go .308 research will tell you thats 308 is the modified 3006. example. powder lays in the bottom of the 3006s casing. when the 308 (smaller casing) is packed tight with powder. leaving less travel in the bolt. its a comfort thing. plus 30 06 leaves room for imcomplete burning. i went over to 308 2 years ago. now when i hear 30 06 i want to call them old timers. i personaly dont like .270 because its moving to fast for our hunting. brush destroys its travel. if i was doing big 500yd shots id prob go 270. plus 270 was wrecking the hearts in my deer (turning them to jello). the taste of heart in my mouth lingers all season til i get one. mmm mmm love it


***** alot of peopl are going to disagree but this is the facts, guns and ammo, shooting magizines ect. cant ALL be wrong*****
User avatar
daffy...
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: merrymeeting bay

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby ajmorell » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:14 pm

daffy... wrote:if your going bolt. go .308 research will tell you thats 308 is the modified 3006. example. powder lays in the bottom of the 3006s casing. when the 308 (smaller casing) is packed tight with powder. leaving less travel in the bolt. its a comfort thing. plus 30 06 leaves room for imcomplete burning. i went over to 308 2 years ago. now when i hear 30 06 i want to call them old timers. i personaly dont like .270 because its moving to fast for our hunting. brush destroys its travel. if i was doing big 500yd shots id prob go 270. plus 270 was wrecking the hearts in my deer (turning them to jello). the taste of heart in my mouth lingers all season til i get one. mmm mmm love it


***** alot of peopl are going to disagree but this is the facts, guns and ammo, shooting magizines ect. cant ALL be wrong*****



Directly from Lyman:

The 308 is the end result of the US Military's experiment with the shortened 30-06 during the late 40's.....so you are absolutely right on that count. There are ups/downs either way. The -06 has about a 200 fps advantage over the 308, but the 308 has the advantage of being short action. The -06 will also shoot heavy bullets a little better than the 308 (180 grain +), but you can't go wrong with either gun.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:23 pm

If one gets their information from shooting mags, they stand to be grossly misinformed.

Nice example of that fact here...
User avatar
bgoldhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:46 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby daffy... » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:37 pm

if im misinformed. please imform me of the facts.

enlighten me all mighty enlighten-er


maybe you should enlighten me on the comparison to 300 savage and the miltarys influence of the .308 also. cus i must have been misinformed on that also
User avatar
daffy...
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: merrymeeting bay

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby Johnnyrad » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:01 am

Welllll! I do actually plan to buy a couple more rifles but i was stuck with the same question
So I chose a 30. Caliber WSM 300 Remington I reload so for coyote 110 Grain V-Max bullets all the way up to a to a 200 Grain for
Elk. exact Model is the Remington 700 SS Fluted wood stock 300 WSM.
User avatar
Johnnyrad
hunter
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:00 am

.308 turns the heart to jello just as fast as a .270. big 500 yd shots are made just as easly with the .308 as the .270. i shoot the .308 and love it but to think it has something really over on the 06 is misinformed with handloading the 06 acctually has a little more to offer ballistacly with the increased case capacity and if loaded right the whole powder laying on the side is just mis informed you are also using the wrong powder if it is not burning completly. with that line of thinking how the hell does a 505. gibs burn all the powder in that big case? i like working the bolt on the short action a little better but with proper practice the long action really is no trouble. so answer me this with your thinking the wsm line of cals should be a God send. sa, compressed loadings and bigger faster than the .308. if you get your info from the gun rags it is like getting info from a info commercial.
Locked and Loaded
User avatar
Kurt
hunter
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:46 am
Location: Mobridge,South Dakota

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby daffy... » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:24 am

Kurt wrote:.308 turns the heart to jello just as fast as a .270. big 500 yd shots are made just as easly with the .308 as the .270. i shoot the .308 and love it but to think it has something really over on the 06 is misinformed with handloading the 06 acctually has a little more to offer ballistacly with the increased case capacity and if loaded right the whole powder laying on the side is just mis informed you are also using the wrong powder if it is not burning completly. with that line of thinking how the hell does a 505. gibs burn all the powder in that big case? i like working the bolt on the short action a little better but with proper practice the long action really is no trouble. so answer me this with your thinking the wsm line of cals should be a God send. sa, compressed loadings and bigger faster than the .308. if you get your info from the gun rags it is like getting info from a info commercial.


i agree that a 308 will make 500 shoots no problem infact many people are using them for the 1000yd shot comps now OVER the 3006. but wouldnt you want a faster, flater flying round? say like a 270. I PERSONALLY dont like the 270 for 50yd shots. the 30 caliber rounds brush bust much better and has put less flesh shock on the deer ive killed with it.

for someone buying there first and only one gun are we going to assume hes going to mod. that "little bit" of his 3006 rounds? maybe later, thats a lot of money just after purchasing a new rifle. as for the laying flat powder it just leaves room for less consistent burns. say like a cigarette? its all going to burn. just how well depends on its roll

sure mags have a lot of sales pitch like them hyping the .41mag and .327 but the history of rounds and miltary influence on todays calibers and firearms. that researched. no need to sell a customer i believe its a reliable source that way. hell, would you like me to say after i read the "rag" i took the writers work citied and found the books he researched them out of to double check his work. or do you not trust books either. ****
User avatar
daffy...
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: merrymeeting bay

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby ajmorell » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:30 am

This argument is just dumb. As I mentioned before the 308 and -06 both have advatages/disadvantages but in the end they are both damn good calibers. As far as reloading goes...generally speaking to realize the true potential of any gun "rolling your own" usually nets the best results.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:03 am

daffy... wrote:
Kurt wrote:.308 turns the heart to jello just as fast as a .270. big 500 yd shots are made just as easly with the .308 as the .270. i shoot the .308 and love it but to think it has something really over on the 06 is misinformed with handloading the 06 acctually has a little more to offer ballistacly with the increased case capacity and if loaded right the whole powder laying on the side is just mis informed you are also using the wrong powder if it is not burning completly. with that line of thinking how the hell does a 505. gibs burn all the powder in that big case? i like working the bolt on the short action a little better but with proper practice the long action really is no trouble. so answer me this with your thinking the wsm line of cals should be a God send. sa, compressed loadings and bigger faster than the .308. if you get your info from the gun rags it is like getting info from a info commercial.


i agree that a 308 will make 500 shoots no problem infact many people are using them for the 1000yd shot comps now OVER the 3006. but wouldnt you want a faster, flater flying round? say like a 270. I PERSONALLY dont like the 270 for 50yd shots. the 30 caliber rounds brush bust much better and has put less flesh shock on the deer ive killed with it.

for someone buying there first and only one gun are we going to assume hes going to mod. that "little bit" of his 3006 rounds? maybe later, thats a lot of money just after purchasing a new rifle. as for the laying flat powder it just leaves room for less consistent burns. say like a cigarette? its all going to burn. just how well depends on its roll

sure mags have a lot of sales pitch like them hyping the .41mag and .327 but the history of rounds and miltary influence on todays calibers and firearms. that researched. no need to sell a customer i believe its a reliable source that way. hell, would you like me to say after i read the "rag" i took the writers work citied and found the books he researched them out of to double check his work. or do you not trust books either. ****


what does flatter matter out to 500 you dont even need a 20 moa base to make it there. just get your info dial and shoot. i would much rather go with a high bc bullet in 6.5 or big 30 cal range than a .270. If you acctully think that the powder laying on the side will make one bit of differnece for your average hunter your an idiot. If you are worried about that on your factory rounds what about the flash hole being off center? alot of other factors as neck tension, seating depth, case wall thickness, the COL, and so on play a much bigger role in accuracy than the powder laying on its side. how about barrel length short bbl less room to burn all the pwder long bbl more room. you are trying to say the .308 is head and shoulders above the 06 which it is not( i shoot the .308 i love my .308). i dont understand what moding has anything to do with it. it is called reloading and not really that expensive in the long run if you acctully get out and shoot a little bit. to the op originall question i would pick the..... hell i cant just pick one. me right now i am really looking at the .260 rem or 6.5x 47 laupa or .264 win mag not really good if you dont reload though. i would go 300 wsm or good old 300 win mag if you dont mind the long action and powder laying on its side.

and fighting over which is better .308 or 06 is dumb i just cant help my self some times.
Locked and Loaded
User avatar
Kurt
hunter
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:46 am
Location: Mobridge,South Dakota

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:11 am

Daffy, your posts continue to show what you aren't comprehending. Perhaps you would like to call more names for your lack?

Good show....
User avatar
bgoldhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:46 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby Lakeside41 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:19 pm

I am enjoying reading all of the opinions. It has narrowed down my choices but I don't think I will ever hear a difinitive answer because there are just too many factors. I do not plan on reloading so I will definitely be going with a caliber that is common. I appreciate the opinions and hope I continue to hear a few more. I think the more the debates occur the more info I can slowly pull from them. I am down to 308, 7mm, and 30-06. However, another forum made a huge case for the 25-06 for a deer gun. Even though I am going to hunt deer 99% of the time I am thinking I would love to have a gun that gives me options.
I have been told for years that you can't go wrond with the 06 but for some reason I can't fall in love with it.
2009 Season
Canada Geese: 5
Wood Duck: 10
Mallard: 2
Crow: 1
Lakeside41
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:33 pm

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:49 pm

No flies on a 25-06...
User avatar
bgoldhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:46 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: IF you could pick only one rifle

Postby ajmorell » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:03 am

Lakeside41 wrote:I am enjoying reading all of the opinions. It has narrowed down my choices but I don't think I will ever hear a difinitive answer because there are just too many factors. I do not plan on reloading so I will definitely be going with a caliber that is common. I appreciate the opinions and hope I continue to hear a few more. I think the more the debates occur the more info I can slowly pull from them. I am down to 308, 7mm, and 30-06. However, another forum made a huge case for the 25-06 for a deer gun. Even though I am going to hunt deer 99% of the time I am thinking I would love to have a gun that gives me options.
I have been told for years that you can't go wrond with the 06 but for some reason I can't fall in love with it.


I felt the same way about the -06 until I started shooting one. The more I looked into it the more I realized just how versatile of a caliber it is.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest