One AWESOME rifle!

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

One AWESOME rifle!

Postby apexhunter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:54 pm

My brother bought himself a new toy last week in what he called "a sperm of the moment purchase". He dropped it by my work and asked me to sight it in since I was going to get to our hunting lease before him. It is a Kimber 84M Montana in .308 Win wearing a Meoptic 4x14 40mm scope.

Let me tell you, that is the lightest, sweetest shooting, most accurate rifle with the best trigger I've ever shot and that scope rivals that of Zeiss or Swarovski for less than half the price. The rifle weighs just 5# 2oz but with it's straight stock design shooting the Montana in .308 was like shooting another rifle in .243 (not that a .308 kicks hard or anything). The trigger has no creep, no takeup and is as clean as anything I've ever fired including Tikka, high dollar Weatherby and even my Winchester mod 70 that has been worked on by a very competant smith.

The scope was bore sighted and was on paper at 25 yards so I backed it out to 100 and did a small amount of chasing. After getting it zeroed (without letting the barrel cool much at all) and shooting off of a semi-solid rest, the rifle produced a group just inside .7" with a 15mph crosswind. Seeing that it was 36 degrees, windy and my bench and rest wasn't the most solid I'm sure that group coule definitely shrink a bit.

I know that not everybody can afford a rifle like this (especially me right now), but if you are looking for an excellent rifle that's a step above a Savage, Marlin, Browning, Remington, Winchester or other "production" rifle without getting into the price of a full blown custom piece I'd highly recommend looking into a Kimber. One trip to the range and you'll definitely not be disappointed.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Re: One AWESOME rifle!

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:21 pm

that looks like a sweet ass rifle and for 1100 it better be. if you spend that much on a remmy(sendero sf 2) or win you will get alot of gun to. but seems hard to match that weight. which makes the kimber a go to for those hunts where you have to do alot of walking or packing. thats why it is on the short list of must have. to bad my wife does not agree with my list :biggrin:
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:54 pm

apexhunter wrote:My brother bought himself a new toy last week in what he called "a sperm of the moment purchase".

:lol:

"Sperm of the moment purchase"? You mean spur of the moment?
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:04 pm

Montana is hard to trump for handy/dandy. Faux Ti ain't bad neither, when running factory sticks.

Anyone find a 7WSM Montana worth the money, I'd be all ears....
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:34 am

OrangeLake wrote:
apexhunter wrote:My brother bought himself a new toy last week in what he called "a sperm of the moment purchase".

:lol:

"Sperm of the moment purchase"? You mean spur of the moment?

Actually what I put is exactly what he said. :wink:
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:15 pm

Sort of nice hearing someone finding a "New" rifle that shoots great, that is not one of those "Black guns"..................

There are lots of custom guns out there from Nosler and gun companys and yes they do cost a bit more.
Custom barrels like Douglas and others also make for great shooting weapons with a quality scope.

Sounds like that rifle is a tac driver...................wounder what she will do on a nice warm spring day ?
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum