I won a DU Mossberg 4x4 in 300 Win. Mag, Now What?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

I won a DU Mossberg 4x4 in 300 Win. Mag, Now What?

Postby 20bolt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:14 pm

1. I am pretty sure the scope needs to go.
2. Do I need to do anything to hone the bore?
3. Will this gun ever be accurate?
4. I have heard the recoil is compatible to a brick in the head, but I have also heard is less than a 3" mag turkey load.
Which is true? If its just a turkey load, bring it on.

Thanks for the advice; magnum calipers are kind a new territory.
Support Conservation Efforts
Hunters and non-hunters alike should support wilderness conservation by both personal actions like conserving natural resources, and by supporting the good work of institutions like Ducks Unlimited.
20bolt
hunter

Re: I won a DU Mossberg 4x4 in 300 Win. Mag, Now What?

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:53 pm

20bolt wrote:1. I am pretty sure the scope needs to go.
2. Do I need to do anything to hone the bore?
3. Will this gun ever be accurate?
4. I have heard the recoil is compatible to a brick in the head, but I have also heard is less than a 3" mag turkey load.
Which is true? If its just a turkey load, bring it on.

Thanks for the advice; magnum calipers are kind a new territory.

1. What kinda of scope is on it now? Chances are if it was a package deal it is garbage.
2.,3. Shoot it and find out. I would imagine the gun is MOA @ 100 yards at least.
4. Haven't shot a 300WM but yeah, heard they kick pretty well.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:26 am

1. trade get a rem 700. mosberg rifles are good for the same thing the shot guns are fence post.

300 wm does not have intolerable recoil but you will know it is there. if worried about it put a brake on it.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:21 am

I have heard some good things about those rifles, so it may turn out to be a good one. If it is a package scope, it is going to be junk. If you are going to keep and use the rifle, invest in good glass. .300 WM is supposed to be a hard kicker, but I also have heard it is similar to a 12 ga. 3" or 3.5". Put a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad on it if the recoil is uncomfortable. Those things are well worth the money. It will probably only bother you at the range, as you will be wearing thick clothing when hunting. It is important to manage the recoil at the range though so that you don't develop a flinch when you shoot it. Besides, you will do more shooting at the range than hunting.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:25 am

Sandman3400 wrote:I have heard some good things about those rifles, so it may turn out to be a good one. If it is a package scope, it is going to be junk. If you are going to keep and use the rifle, invest in good glass. .300 WM is supposed to be a hard kicker, but I also have heard it is similar to a 12 ga. 3" or 3.5". Put a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad on it if the recoil is uncomfortable. Those things are well worth the money. It will probably only bother you at the range, as you will be wearing thick clothing when hunting. It is important to manage the recoil at the range though so that you don't develop a flinch when you shoot it. Besides, you will do more shooting at the range than hunting.

That sounds like some good advice. :thumbsup: I'll second it.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Thanks

That is pretty much what I guessed. My first instinct was just to sell it, but I talked to a few guys, and they didn't think I could get much over $300 for it.

Just to be clear though, I dont need to do anything special with the barrel than clean it after each of the first 5 shots?
Hunters and non-hunters alike should support wilderness conservation by both personal actions like conserving natural resources, and by supporting the good work of institutions like Ducks Unlimited.
20bolt
hunter

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:37 pm

just shoot it. break in with factory guns is a waste of time.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:55 am

I have never done anything special to break-in the barrel. I think if you put a few rounds through it then clean it good (with solvent) you will be fine.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:46 am

Some guns are lemons some are tac drivers if you find the ammo that they like to spit out.

If you don't reload, just get some federal,remington and winchester in either 150 or 180 grain bullets
and see what groups the best. One company also has a "Reduced " loading that cuts down on the recoil and
it will kill animals just as well as the full load jobs.

A good scope and rings will also be needed,if you want to keep the gun for more than 5 years.

Otherwise you can trade or sell it if it does not work out.

does it look like this ?

Sagebrush
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:00 pm

Sort of.

The scope is silver, and plastic+aluminum.

I was told I wouldnt get more than 200 for the gun. I guess the dealer price is well below 450
20bolt
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:22 pm

20bolt wrote:Sort of.

The scope is silver, and plastic+aluminum.

I was told I wouldnt get more than 200 for the gun. I guess the dealer price is well below 450

Just because it's cheap doesn't make it garbage. There are some cheap guns out there that will shoot better than their operator can. I say find a load the gun likes, shoot the hell out of it and go hunting with it. Before I did that though I would invest in some better glass. You can find a good scope for under $200 if you do some looking. Heck I saw a 4.5-14x40 Nikon Buckmasters last night for around $200, might have even been in the classifieds here.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby nmatula » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Sent u PM. Send me an email when you get a chance. Thanks.
nmatula
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:29 am

Our DU student chapter president won one of those. He said it's a sweet gun. I'd shoot it a couple times anyway to see if you like it. The value is going to be the same whether you sell it brand new or with a few rounds through it.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby peteinalaska » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 pm

I'm an Alaskan hunter and the two calibers I use for the most part are .338 and .300 WinMag. Granted, theses are considered "medium" magnums acceptable for all medium and large game in North America. The recoil can be heavy without a muzzle break and should not be considered a caliber to just go out and shoot cans with. The MossB 4x4 has a muzzle break from the factory that is very serviceable . I have this rifle and find it very serviceable and accurate. Try a Burris Multi-plex scope in 3-9x40. This will allow consistence shots out to 600 meters. Just cause its a "magnum" and not as common in the lower 48 as it is in Alaska dosn't mean it to much rifle for your area. Take a look at the broad range of factory offerings and you will find loads for smaller thin skinned game. I have often hunted Sitka Blacktail Deer with one of my .300. These are very small deer. A large one may net 40 pounds of meat and that's striped to the bone. I aim for the neck just under the spine to do as little damage to usable meat as possible. I hunt them with a 165gr. Ballistic tip Barns X round. So, why a .300 for such small game? Well, because the Alaska Coastal Brown Bear is prevalent, very large, and can be a bit....pushy, at times. I always carry a few 185 or 200 gr in a spare clip for those heart pounding confrontations, rare though they may be.
In short, keep the Mossberg and hunt it. You won't be disappointed and it will do very well hunting your Whitetails, Black Bear, and Hog. Besides, someday you may do that hunt to the Rockies or Alaska for a Moose, Caribou, or big Browney.
peteinalaska
Newb

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum