Springfield XD

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Springfield XD

Postby Bandit29 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Looking at picking up a Springfield XD for my first handgun for myself, have a few revolvers for my wife. Any issues that are regular with the XD guns? Which do you guys like better: 4" or Tactical 5" and how good are the tritium night sights that you can get with them?
Bandit29
hunter

Re: Springfield XD

Postby birddog crazy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:58 pm

if it is going to be a carry gun, i would get the 4 inch model. I own both the service 4inch, and the tactical 5 inch models. both are good. the night sights are good, i usually change them for contrasting night sights like green up front and orange on the back. never had ant problems with them, both are accurate and reliable.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:58 am

I agree, if you're going to conceal it, get the 4inch. You can conceal the 5" tactical model, but its a bit long.

I've had my xd for a little over a year and its been a great gun. I don't know that I've had a single jam.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby swampwise » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:49 pm

dont do it. not a bad gun, but a brick to carry. the width of the slide makes it uncomfortable to carry. its also top heavy, so its a bit of a handful to shoot. get a glock.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:23 am

Buy it. It was Glock or Springfield for me and the XD came in cheaper faster, so that's what I got. I like the service model (4" bbl) in .40 and like it a lot. My dad got the compact in .45 and likes his too. My uncle also went out and bought one. Great gun.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:48 pm

As far as dimensions go a Glock and an XD are virtually identical as far as slide dimension goes (both just over an inch) so that arguement isn't really accurate. For a true CC gun you can go with the SC which has a shorter grio than the the 4" models and the grip is the main part of the gun you have to conceal. Some have no problem with longer grips but the SC is shorter and therefore easier to hide.

If you are just looking for a range gun (not CC) the choice between the 4" and 5" models is really a matter of preference. Overall you'll find that the XD has excellent feel and natural pointability, is very accurate, is damned reliable with most any ammo you want to shoot (and is okay to shoot lead which one should not do in a Glock due to the polygonal rifling) and the night sights are excellent. Not to mention that the trigger is excellent and can even be improved with a few bucks and a trip back to SA.

If you want to discuss or see further details about an XD you should check out their forum- there are a bunch of good, knowledgeable guys (and gals) there that share a lot of info and ideas : http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:04 pm

My XD is shorter and skinnier than a glock in the same class.

I'd get the sub-compact XD if you're going to carry. That's what I use. :thumbsup:
devildog28
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:16 pm

I have the 5" Tactical with the thumb safety (had a couple other XD's in 9mm and they worked great). Not to bad to carry unless your driving a lot then it gets in the way. The thing I do not care for on the XD's is how "tall" the slide feels. Compared to my other semi autos it feels and looks like the center line of the barrel is higher than it needs to be. Still I would take the XD over a Glock just because the Glock does not feel good in my hands. the XD fits perfectly in my hand and I have installed the fiber optic night sights. They are nice as they are bright day or night. Have owned it for over a year now and still not one round thru it. I always just grab the HK's when I shoot IDPA and leave it in the safe. I guess I should break it in someday soon :hi:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:02 am

just bought a compact in the .40 yesterday. I have 2 buddies that have the sub compact and I like the way they shot/felt so I had to get one.
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WackerOfQuackers » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Hey yall got a question.
I have a 45 XD and I want to trade it for a shotgun or 300/30.06 hunting rifle and or duck gear. Is that possible? Legal? And what would have to take place? I live in Oceanside, ca just wondering if anyone had info.i wanted to ask so when i get home from afghan i could try or if its not possible forget about it. Thanks guys!
The only good duck... is a DEAD duck...
WackerOfQuackers
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Check your state rules, i am sure there would be transfer paperwork and knowing CA you probably have to jump thru a few rings of fire too. :biggrin:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WackerOfQuackers » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:57 pm

lol yea... your prob right. thank you.
The only good duck... is a DEAD duck...
WackerOfQuackers
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum