Anybody hunt with a .243?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Re: Anybody hunt with a .243?

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 pm

I used one up in Northern WI. The deer are a little tougher up there with the bears, wolves, and winters. Shot a double lung shot and I think I got the heart too. Ran 250 yards with NO blood trail. They are a fun little gun. Our deer up here need a lot of fat on them to get thru the winter so their fat usually clogs the bullet hole so theirs no blood trail. Have had this happen before. I was just shooting the Remington Core-Lock Bullets but the gun does drive tacks. Think a .270 is the way to go.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:28 am

My friend, you did not have a double lung shot or hit the heart. The no blood trail part is what we call a miss. We have all missed on deer, its part of the game.

That .243 is plenty big enough to kill your deer. This one was killed with a .243 He scored 212 points green.

It always comes down to shot placement.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 am

No buddy I found the deer. Sorry thought I posted that. We looked thru it and found the heart and lungs all destroyed. I have had this happen with my brothers deer and heard other people have the problem. U can kill deer with a .243 but the problem is that it doesn't have that knock down power. It goes so fast that it goes right thru them and nothing else. I definitely nailed it right behind the shoulder. When my Dad shoots a deer with a .30-06 it looks like someone took a can of red spray paint and marked a trail to the deer. I know I can't prove it but I assure u I smoked the deer and made a perfect shot on it.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:32 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:No buddy I found the deer. Sorry thought I posted that. We looked thru it and found the heart and lungs all destroyed. I have had this happen with my brothers deer and heard other people have the problem. U can kill deer with a .243 but the problem is that it doesn't have that knock down power. It goes so fast that it goes right thru them and nothing else. I definitely nailed it right behind the shoulder. When my Dad shoots a deer with a .30-06 it looks like someone took a can of red spray paint and marked a trail to the deer. I know I can't prove it but I assure u I smoked the deer and made a perfect shot on it.

Sounds like you aren't using the right type of ammo. I can shoot my 30-06 clean through an elk with if I so chose, what you're describing isn't a caliber or velocity specific problem.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby TomKat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Agree. This is more of a penetration vs controlled expansion issue.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:17 pm

I dont deer hunt anymore but it was a core lockt bullet. It was with a Winchester Model 70 that drives tacks. One thing that I will give a .243 is they seem to group more consistent than other calibers. I use it for coyote hunting tho.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby KaceyDucks » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 pm

joshco84 wrote:243 is an awesome gun no doubt, and i have shot many deer with an old savage 99E in 243.

It kills just as well as any other rifle with the correct bullet and placement. Sure it wont crash through both shoulders like a 30 06, but i have found that smaller rifles equal deer running not as far for some reason.

I have shot deer with 243, 2506, 7mm rem mag and 3006. With the seven and the thirty it seems to me deer run forever when heart/lung shot, but not near as far as with the 24 and the 25. Its like shooting them with a bolt of lightning.

Also the best thing about the 243/6mm is the bullet selection. You can get absolutely anything you need bullet wise.

Are you out of your mind? I literally have never had a deer take so much as a step after being shot in the heart with my 30.06. If you do hit the heart of a deer with any grain bullet.

A.243 will definitely kill a deer but don't let people sell you on recoil, the recoil of a .243 is not markedly better than a .270. If you are worried about recoil you really shouldn't be shooting the gin in the first place.

Anyways, shoot the animal in the neck and it wont ever get back up.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

Postby vector16 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 pm

I have that excat same rifle. Its a great gun, at least for target shooting. I have not had the op to make a kill with it yet. I have hunted with it though. Its kind of like fiching w/o the catching.
vector16
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:43 pm

KaceyDucks wrote:
joshco84 wrote:243 is an awesome gun no doubt, and i have shot many deer with an old savage 99E in 243.

It kills just as well as any other rifle with the correct bullet and placement. Sure it wont crash through both shoulders like a 30 06, but i have found that smaller rifles equal deer running not as far for some reason.

I have shot deer with 243, 2506, 7mm rem mag and 3006. With the seven and the thirty it seems to me deer run forever when heart/lung shot, but not near as far as with the 24 and the 25. Its like shooting them with a bolt of lightning.

Also the best thing about the 243/6mm is the bullet selection. You can get absolutely anything you need bullet wise.

Are you out of your mind? I literally have never had a deer take so much as a step after being shot in the heart with my 30.06. If you do hit the heart of a deer with any grain bullet.

A.243 will definitely kill a deer but don't let people sell you on recoil, the recoil of a .243 is not markedly better than a .270. If you are worried about recoil you really shouldn't be shooting the gin in the first place.

Anyways, shoot the animal in the neck and it wont ever get back up.

Really? i have heart and lung shot many many deer, with all the calibers listed above. It is very simple, the smaller caliber expend more energy within the cavity than the larger calibers do pushing heavy bullets through. I have shot MANY deer with a 7mm mag than ran a 100 yards or more, and have yet to heart shoot a deer with a 25.06 or a 243 that ran hardly at all.

Simple ballistics my man
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 am

It is an adequate cartridge if you understand its limitations. Its not a cartridge I would want to consistently shoot running deer with unless you are an exceptional shot.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:49 pm

I love a 243 for whitetail.. The girlfriend has killed truckloads with a Ruger Ultralight in 243 paired with 100g Nosler Partitions, I cannot say she has ever failed to have a pass through even on shoulder shots..

2 years ago for the sake of trying something new, she switched to the Barnes Vortx 80g Tipped Triple Shock X bullet with performance very similar to the Nosler..

Her little gun loves and will stack 55 g Ballistic Silvertips as well for yotes and such.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:It is an adequate cartridge if you understand its limitations. Its not a cartridge I would want to consistently shoot running deer with unless you are an exceptional shot.

why would anyone shoot at a deer running? we were talking about running after the shot
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 am

Shooting running deer is still pretty common here. A lot of hunters still do deer drives. Stand hunting IS becoming more popular however in many areas unless you walk the deer up you will never see them. I don't do it or condone it and from my experience 95% of the hunters that do it are not skilled enough to place a shot in the vitals of a running deer. Sadly many are happy if they can get any hit that will "slow it down".............. It's definately a game for calibers bigger than the .243.............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Previous

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum