thoughts on taurus slim line (pt-709)

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

thoughts on taurus slim line (pt-709)

Postby daffy... » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:48 pm

im looking for a conceal weapon, been looking at pistol along the lines of kahr.

recently held a pt 709 and it seems like a decent weapon. plus on top of being just like a kahr it has a safety!

i know most of you guys hate taurus so if you have nothing good to say i dont care to hear it. firearms are firearms. they dont lose value so if i dont like it il sell it.

anyone handle one yet?
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Re: thoughts on taurus slim line (pt-709)

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:08 pm

Seen one at work and said meh. Don't like Kahr either. Ever tried a glock 36? Give it a look see. Nearly as thin as the Taurus and chambered for .45 ACP. Just a thought. You probably don't want to hear this either, but a Ruger LCR or S&W 642 would be a good choice. Good luck with your choice.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 pm

haha preach. man, LCRs are for girls!

ha! no im probably gonna carry one til i get use to the feeling of "packing heat." the hole time and place makes me inchy sometimes.

ive looked at LOTS of different glocks ill check that model. most are awfully thick. ive got a model 22 in the truck. gotta find a nice carry now
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby birddog crazy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:19 pm

I own taurus pistols, like the company, I also own smith's, glock's and springfields, taurus company always took good care of any issues i had just like the others. That being said, if you want a slim proflle gun with a safety, you might think about getting a 1911 compact even, i carry a commander size one at work.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:09 pm

birddog crazy wrote:I own taurus pistols, like the company, I also own smith's, glock's and springfields, taurus company always took good care of any issues i had just like the others. That being said, if you want a slim proflle gun with a safety, you might think about getting a 1911 compact even, i carry a commander size one at work.

ive also heard that taurus really takes care of there customers; the thing that i like about this pistol was light weight and slim. summer days id love something that would fit in my waste band like a wallet.

would love to carry a 1911; only problem im having is i cant find one thats light enough to my liking other than the kimber compat carrys. needless to say i dont wanna drop that kind of cash at this time and date.

lets not get off topic but any suggestion on a light weight afforable 1911 birddog crazy
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:12 am

Give Bersa a try. They're the best little gun nobody knows about. Look one up. It's a .380, but a heck of a gun. Looks like a Walther, but it doesn't have the Euro slide and mag release. It's like the PPK Americanized.

That Taurus you're talking about isn't the gun for me. I messed with it a lot today and after squeezing the trigger a few time the trigger guard started rubbing my trigger finger raw. The way they have it angled does that. I think at one time you said you had swollen hands from being a chef and you might have the same problem. I have small hands and it did it to me. Dry fire one a couple times and you should see what I mean. Not saying that just cause I don't like Taurus either. I've got an open mind when it comes to guns. The Taurus 24/7's are actually pretty good since they made it to try and pick up a military contract, but that's neither here nor there. :thumbsup:

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:20 pm

ive seen a few bersa, my old man told me to check them out. i cant remember what model it was but it was a 9 and it reminded me of the sig 2's

sooooo many guns and not enough money!!!!!
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:27 pm

daffy... wrote:ive seen a few bersa, my old man told me to check them out. i cant remember what model it was but it was a 9 and it reminded me of the sig 2's

sooooo many guns and not enough money!!!!!

I was talking about the Thunder 380

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:53 pm

ill check it out. not terribly fond of 380s but then again its only 1mm off of what ive been looking at
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 am

daffy... wrote:ill check it out. not terribly fond of 380s but then again its only 1mm off of what ive been looking at

Actually it's 2mm. :hi: That's always made me wonder if you can shoot .380, 9mm Makarov, and 9mm Luger through a gun chambered for the Luger. Seems to me the if .22's can shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles, it should work the same. I'm not going to try it, but I've wondered. :huh:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby relocatedduckman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:59 pm

I carry a PT24/7 .40 cal. If I cant shoot him I can beat the hell out of them!! LOL. I love my gun. Never had any issues. I wanted to get it served and they said send it to the manufacturer. So I did and they serviced it and send it back to me 100 times better. polished it and lubed everything up for FREE! Love it. Taurus for me is the way I will always go. I've shot around 7000 through mine and still going strong. A little heavy for the day to day carry. But I still carry it. Good little gun.
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby daffy... » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:55 pm

hahah preach five minutes after i sent that i was like "damnit. f-ed that up"... actually last time i bought 9mm reload comp. the brass were 9x21, had to cut em. im sure you can run em all in the luger. just like .38 .357 then again, those are revolver runs. :huh:

checked out the model 36, still a wide ole glock.

looks like im gonna have to drop 9 bills on a 1911 to be happy
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:11 pm

Looking at a Kimber now? :yes: Did you try the Taurus and see what I was talking about it rubbing?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:20 pm

yeah its been kimber since day one. ive trying to pro long that purchase as long as possible cus ive got a bunch of other things i need right now. so im trying to get away with a less expensive carry.

theres only one store around here that has it, i havent been back for a few days. i went to cabelas today to see what they had. thats where i tried the golck 36. tried out a few other 1911s. still cant get myself to fall in love with any other than kimber... the rock island is the only one thats coming close. tried colt, para and auto ordinance, kinda like the spring feilds but most of them too are up around the kimbers. the warthog was a flashy little guy but just not long enough grip.

ive got a couple more weeks to mow it over
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby birddog crazy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:11 pm

I like springfield xd's also in fact own several, plus have 2 of the taurus millenium pro's which shoot ok. rather have the xd compact which is a reasonable priced gun and a great shooter.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:17 pm

birddog crazy wrote:I like springfield xd's also in fact own several, plus have 2 of the taurus millenium pro's which shoot ok. rather have the xd compact which is a reasonable priced gun and a great shooter.

really dont like xd's. many different reason why; starting with they dont fit my hands

and preach are you talking about that hook at the end of the trigger?

... i kinda got a hard on when i figuard out what the double tap feature was. even thought i cant think of any reason why if the first firing-pin-to-primer doesnt fire the gun then why would the second?
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby sws002 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Taurus takes care of their customers because they HAVE to. When you start hearing alot about great customer service, you need to realize that also means they have had problems they need to deal with. Trust me, if you had a problem with a Glock, Springfield, or Kimber they would all take care of you equally as well, you just don't have problems with them to realize it.
That being said, if you're thinking of going 1911 compact, take a look at the Citadel 1911's. You should be able to get into one for about $550, and they are great little guns, if you don't mind toting the heft of a full metal frame around. Btw, I sell guns for a living, so I've handled plenty in my day, and I will NEVER own a Taurus.
sws002
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:45 pm

daffy... wrote:
birddog crazy wrote:I like springfield xd's also in fact own several, plus have 2 of the taurus millenium pro's which shoot ok. rather have the xd compact which is a reasonable priced gun and a great shooter.

really dont like xd's. many different reason why; starting with they dont fit my hands

and preach are you talking about that hook at the end of the trigger?

... i kinda got a hard on when i figuard out what the double tap feature was. even thought i cant think of any reason why if the first firing-pin-to-primer doesnt fire the gun then why would the second?

It might be what I'm talking about. I mean the place where it gets narrow in the trigger guard towards the back of the pull. Speaking about the double tap thing. I was kind of the same way. Then I figured it was dumb too since I would rack the slide back anyway. I figure the same as you, if it fubar's the first time it'll most likely do it again and you've wasted a few precious milliseconds. Which is a long time considering most gun fights last 3-4 seconds and occur within 21 feet.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:17 pm

how about the kel tec p 11? has a larger mag and less expensive
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:07 pm

I haven't seen near the problems out of Kel Tec as out of Taurus. I haven't had any experience handling that pistol though so I honestly couldn't tell you. Personally I'd rather have something else, but I'd definitely take that over a Taurus. Ever looked into a used Sig P239? Just throwing some more options out there, but if you want cheap I reckon the Kel Tec will work.

EDIT: budsgunshop.com has the sig for about 650-700 don't know if that's in your price range or not. It will be heavier than the KT though since it's all steel. Fine weapon though.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:40 pm

for concealment i dont want to skimp but i also know a good gun doesnt have to be 1500 and up. just looking for something comfortable for shorts and tee shirt, light and on the back burner; a safety because this will be my first year concealing.

ive also considered revolver but i think im gung-ho on gettin a 9mm
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:54 pm

preach how about the sig p250 compact. found one in my area for 600. i think thats high, checked gunbroker and not sure the msrp.

though its twice as heavy as both kel tech and taurus i think thatd be a better conceal...read a letter to editor in guns and ammo. military guy said when it came to combat sig was the only firearm for him
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:16 pm

also liking the sig p239. much bigger conceal rigs but have a awfully good rep.

used one in the area for $500
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:36 pm

daffy... wrote:preach how about the sig p250 compact. found one in my area for 600. i think thats high, checked gunbroker and not sure the msrp.

though its twice as heavy as both kel tech and taurus i think thatd be a better conceal...read a letter to editor in guns and ammo. military guy said when it came to combat sig was the only firearm for him

Not a big fan of the P-250's myself. They just don't feel like a Sig to me. That and there's so much that you can foul up with one if you get into the changing the size and everything. Good guns and haven't seen any problems with them, I'm just not a fan personally. That's a look and feel thing for me though, not a function thing. If you like the feel, go for it. We sell them new at Gander for 699, so you aren't looking at a huge deal on that one. We're usually higher than everyone else price wise.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 am

i like the p239 alittle more, id like something smaller but thats a pretty sweet single stack
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum