Sigma

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Sigma

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Iam going into law enforcment i puchased a smith and wesson sigma 40 i like it it has kinda a heavy trigger but not terrible. what are your opinions on this gun?
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Re: Sigma

Postby ajmorell » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:46 pm

The worst thing I have heard about them is the trigger, but that can be fixed. Other than that I haven't heard a whole lot.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby devildog28 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Don't be surprised if your CO at you station doesn't allow you to carry it and requires you to get a better pistol. It's an entry level gun at best.
devildog28
hunter

Postby killerv » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Not a good gun.
killerv
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:51 pm

all i really want it for is a gun to go through the academy with i like it personally im fairly accurate and it fits me well. ill probly switch to sig p 226 after the academy.
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:59 pm

one word: GLOCK

i got mine used in mint cond. for 450. thats only a hundred dollars more than a sigma. itd probably be a good idea to train with the gun you plan to fight with
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Hookedonducks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:13 pm

Not trying to start an argument or anything but can you guys give some input as to why its not a good gun? I don't know a lot about handguns but I do own a Sigma .40 and have had zero issues with it. I've had other people tell me my gun is junk but it seems to work just as good as guns that cost three times the money. I did some trigger work on mine and it's nice and smooth now with around 1,000 rounds thru it. Again I'm just wondering why nobody seems to like these guns.
Hookedonducks
hunter

Postby killerv » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:08 am

If you already have a job lined up in law enforcement with some agency or local sheriffs or police department, you should be able to get a law enforcement discount on a new glock. In Ga, I think the you can buy a new glock for under 400 bucks with the discount.

Sigmas aren't junk, but really entry level. I've never been a fan of S&W pistols, their revolvers are great but their pistols aren't anything special and don't sell well because there is much better stuff out their in the price range. Ruger even makes a nice little pistol that won't break the bank. I think what most people are trying to say is that for not much more money, you can get a much better gun. I personally don't think there is a such thing as a "used" glock. You just can't hurt those guns and it wouldn't scare me to buy a used one.
killerv
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:42 am

I sure wouldn't own one. One of the guys that used to work with me's friend got shot because of the Sigma. His firing pin broke on him. They come back to the gunsmith quite a bit. I wouldn't put my butt on the line with one that's for sure. Really crappy trigger and stuff breaks on them. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen on every gun, but way more than with an XD, S&W M&P, or Glock for sure.

The problem with them is they copied Glocks take down and internal trigger mechanism before the patent expired. So if they fix any of the problems they get sued again. I'd even rather have a Taurus than a Sigma if that says anything...
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sws002 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 am

Preacher1011 wrote:I sure wouldn't own one. One of the guys that used to work with me's friend got shot because of the Sigma. His firing pin broke on him. They come back to the gunsmith quite a bit. I wouldn't put my butt on the line with one that's for sure. Really crappy trigger and stuff breaks on them. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't happen on every gun, but way more than with an XD, S&W M&P, or Glock for sure.

The problem with them is they copied Glocks take down and internal trigger mechanism before the patent expired. So if they fix any of the problems they get sued again. I'd even rather have a Taurus than a Sigma if that says anything...

Well put, it's sad when you have to say I'd rather have a Taurus, but I'd have to agree, the Sigma is junk. Like has been said before, I would have spent the extra $100-150 and got a gun I can trust.
sws002
hunter

Postby daffy... » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 am

as killerv said glocks are unstopable. little mantaince, little to no cleaning and oiling (actually run better dry). heres a little clip i show my friends thinking about buying a glock. the mans face at the end says it all.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby daffy... » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:49 am

i just talked to my FFL dealer buddy. he said, like all poly frames that smith tried to copy the glock. when they did they made a firearm like the glock but from my and his understand is that the sigma fires and it feels like the explosion is in front of the gun and to the side, putting a weird recoil roll.

.40 def has a certain roll to it anyways but firing a glock you feel like the explosion is in your hand, limiting the recoil to a more manageable roll
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:24 am

Let me put it this way. They might work and have no problems 90% of the time. Now would you go sky diving if the parachute only opened 90% of the time? Same principle here. You're trusting that the gun will work with your life.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby swampwise » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:48 am

I looked into a Sigma a while back and decided against it because the slide rails are weak. You'll notice after a thousand rounds or so that the slide feels loose and sloppy on the rails because of the wear on the slide rails. It will shoot, but I'm with the other guys on this thread, it's entry level at best. Find another guy looking for an entry level gun and sell it to him. Then go to Smyrna and buy a Glock. I know, I know, everybody's got a Glock, but there's a reason for that. Last time I checked, the LEO discount for a Glock 22 was $397 w/o night sights, i think $457 with night sights. Get your name on the waiting list and get one. You won't regret it.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:39 am

i appreciate the feed back guys honesty helps. i got this gun from a county sherrif from where i live it was the gun he got broken in on and recomended it for me. he sold it to me for next to nothing, he aksed me if i would take him duck hunting :lol3: , i would love to go up to a glock the only problem is im putting myself through school moneys a little tight
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:04 am

cinnamonteal7 wrote:i appreciate the feed back guys honesty helps. i got this gun from a county sherrif from where i live it was the gun he got broken in on and recomended it for me. he sold it to me for next to nothing, he aksed me if i would take him duck hunting :lol3: , i would love to go up to a glock the only problem is im putting myself through school moneys a little tight

That's what you're excess financial aid is for. Last semester I wound up with 3 extra guns. :yes:

The Sigma would be alright for target shooting where if the firing pin breaks it doesn't matter. Try looking for a Glock on www.budsgunshop.com They'll ship to an ffl and they have some of the best prices I've found. :thumbsup:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:06 am

My financial aid went to rent :lol3: but im saving ill have a glock yet!
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum