S&W M&P FS .40 cal.

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

S&W M&P FS .40 cal.

Postby Brydog » Fri May 07, 2010 9:57 pm

I recently purchased a S&W M&P .40 cal. I've put about 800 rounds through it with "Zero" FTF's or FTE's and it seems to be a real nice shooter. It's very accurate and consistent and the ergonomics are some of the best out there. It feels like it was made for my hand.
I also picked up an after market 9mm barrel and 2-17 round mags, along with a .357 Sig barrel and 4 mags.
The versatility of this gun is great. I can go from 9mm to .357 Sig or .40 S&W with a simple 30 second barrel swap and a different mag. The POA and POI are the same with all 3 calibers out to about 25 yards. So far I've been 100% satisfied with it's performance.
Any of you guys out their have any thoughts or experiences with the M&P's ?

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Re: S&W M&P FS .40 cal.

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun May 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Great gun. I put the M&P's, Glocks, and Springfields all up there together. I always recommend one of those three to anyone looking for their first gun. I say to pick which one fits them best first.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Brydog » Mon May 10, 2010 7:43 pm

I thought about the Springfield XD or XDM, matter of fact, I'm still thinking about getting one, or maybe a Beretta PX4.
I think hand guns are like Lays potato chips...
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Brydog wrote:I thought about the Springfield XD or XDM, matter of fact, I'm still thinking about getting one, or maybe a Beretta PX4.

Can't go wrong with any of those. Not really a huge Beretta fan myself, but I do like the PX4. If I got one it would be the one without the safety.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Brydog » Mon May 10, 2010 8:18 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:
Brydog wrote:I thought about the Springfield XD or XDM, matter of fact, I'm still thinking about getting one, or maybe a Beretta PX4.

Can't go wrong with any of those. Not really a huge Beretta fan myself, but I do like the PX4. If I got one it would be the one without the safety.

I don't do safeties. It's just something else to remember when confronted by a bad guy. I'm perfectly comfortable with the passive safeties. I've never had an accidental or negligent discharge.
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Brydog wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:

I don't do safeties. It's just something else to remember when confronted by a bad guy. I'm perfectly comfortable with the passive safeties. I've never had an accidental or negligent discharge.

They can't happen. People ask me at work "well what if a pen or something gets stuck in the guard?" Then I pull out a pen, shove it in the trigger guard and it can't go off. Too long and too much travel. That being said, the only safety I like is one on a 1911. No grip adjustment and going down with it is a lot more natural than going up like on a Beretta 92.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed May 12, 2010 8:58 am

I think the Grip Safeties on the XD's are about as far as I want to go with a safety. They add a bit of extra peace of mind and don't take any effort to disengage. Plus they just fit great in my hands.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Brydog » Wed May 12, 2010 9:09 am

GroundSwatter wrote:I think the Grip Safeties on the XD's are about as far as I want to go with a safety. They add a bit of extra peace of mind and don't take any effort to disengage. Plus they just fit great in my hands.

Agreed GS,
Another plus for the grip safety on the XD's is it forces you to use the high hand grip when shooting, which helps reduce the recoil for a quicker follow up shot. I see too many ppl not gripping their pistols properly, then complaining about muzzle jump. The grip safety is a great feature.
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am

Brydog wrote:
GroundSwatter wrote:I think the Grip Safeties on the XD's are about as far as I want to go with a safety. They add a bit of extra peace of mind and don't take any effort to disengage. Plus they just fit great in my hands.

Agreed GS,
Another plus for the grip safety on the XD's is it forces you to use the high hand grip when shooting, which helps reduce the recoil for a quicker follow up shot. I see too many ppl not gripping their pistols properly, then complaining about muzzle jump. The grip safety is a great feature.

I haven't thought about that as a benefit, but since you pointed it out you are 100% correct. I have an XD .45 ACP and its a great shooting gun. I've never owned an M&P, but from what I have heard, they seem like a great little gun I wouldn't mind picking one up. The fit better in my hand than glocks do.

I bought my wife a handgun recently, and her priorities with a gun are completely opposite. I let her pick what she wanted after I suggested an XD, M&P, or Glock. She didn't want to put down the extra cash for a Sig or H&K so we ruled those out. She of course wanted a manual safety and 9mm, so that pretty much narrowed it down to a Beretta 92FS. Its her choice, I wanted her to like it, it looked like it fit good in her hands, so I let her get it. I would not have let her get one, except a buddy has one and he seems to like it. So far I have been less than impressed.

The first time we took it out, it jammed every other round for both of us. At this point, I was going to blame cheap ammo, since I did buy cheap ammo for it. So I bought a couple of different brands of practice rounds, and a box of defense rounds. So when I shot it with the new stuff, it didn't jam as much, but still every 4th or 5th round with practice rounds. I don't remember it jamming with +p defense loads. When the wife shot it, it jammed every 3rd or 4th round.

So the reason this story is quasi related to the conversation is that I haven't thought about where my wife is gripping the gun. I think she is gripping it high enough, b/c the Beretta's are narrower at the top of the grip, but this might explain why she is having more issues with it jamming. It could also need some more breaking in, since its only had about 150-200 rounds through it. Its just hard for me to want to shoot it when it jams so often. I might just have to run a couple of boxes of +P through it if I can't find some practice rounds it likes.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Is she limp wristing it GS? That could be a big problem with it. Also try shooting at one of these targets, it will help correct shooting error.

http://www.technogypsy.net/images/TARGET1.gif

If all else fails and it keeps jamming, get a S&W 642. :thumbsup:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed May 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:Is she limp wristing it GS? That could be a big problem with it. Also try shooting at one of these targets, it will help correct shooting error.

http://www.technogypsy.net/images/TARGET1.gif

If all else fails and it keeps jamming, get a S&W 642. :thumbsup:

I think her form is a part of the problem, but she shoots my XD 45 just fine. The other thing is that it jams when I shoot it and when a buddy shoots it. Granted it jams less on us, but we can pick up two other guns, another beretta 92 and my xd, and not have any issues.

I would be less suspicious of the gun if my friend didn't also have a beretta that both my wife and I shoot just fine.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Not a big fan of the 92 myself. They're having tons of problems with the M9's (military version of the 92) in Iraq. Nobody I know that uses one likes it. The officers do though and that's all that counts. They were going to switch to an XD in .45 this year, but they didn't want to have to retrain armorers. What's cheaper, retraining armorers to work on a simple gun or telling a family a POS got their son killed and having to pay pension???? :huh:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu May 13, 2010 8:25 am

XD 45 is a sweet gun. I love mine and I can't recall even a minor hickup since I bought it.

I almost wish the army would go back to the 1911. Its hard to find a better handgun. Only drawback is magazine capacity.

BTW, having to retrain the armory is kind of a crappy excuse. I've broken down the beretta and my xd, and like most pistols, they're both similar enough to break down and I would go as far as saying the xd is easier to break down.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat May 15, 2010 8:24 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:XD 45 is a sweet gun. I love mine and I can't recall even a minor hickup since I bought it.

I almost wish the army would go back to the 1911. Its hard to find a better handgun. Only drawback is magazine capacity.

BTW, having to retrain the armory is kind of a crappy excuse. I've broken down the beretta and my xd, and like most pistols, they're both similar enough to break down and I would go as far as saying the xd is easier to break down.

Funny story about the 1911's. A bunch of the Marines in Iraq are getting issued them now and have been for awhile.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Sun May 16, 2010 8:33 am

personally i dont like the xds, ive given them all the chances in the world too. i suppose its the ergonomics. for me, glock is the ultimate pistol. it likes to run dry and always functions. next in line is sig but oppsite of the glock like to run well lubed. as for berreta ive never given them a chance. i have a lot of friends in the military, old and young that would divorce our friendship if i was to ever purchase one. sorry i cant help with the m&p but i can tell you its next on my list. fits my hand very well and from my law enforcing friends they love em
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby MIAZquacker » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:41 am

I picked up a M&P about 8 months ago, I love it! Great shooting gun, easy to use, fun to shoot. Has great features too, the interchangable grips, loaded chamber indicator, and not having to dry fire to disassemble. Great fullsize pistol, not sure about the compact, although its a bit bulky for my taste in concealing.
MIAZquacker
hunter

Postby swampwise » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:58 pm

i'm a cop, and my duty issue is an m&p .40. maybe i'm just hard on it, but the finish just isn't good. the slide will literally rust over the course of one day, if that day is the least bit wet. all of the guys i work with have the same problem. maybe i'm just spoiled by the glock's tenifer.

as far as ergonomics are concerned, the smith is definitely superior to a glock, but overall, the glock is the ultimate handgun.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby Brydog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:45 pm

I carry my M&P nearly every day here in MI. and I've never found any signs of rust on it. MI is a very humid place. A lot of time I don't even use the holster. I just shove it in my draws against my bare skin.
I treated it with Militec when I bought it,,, maybe thats why I don't have a rust problem.

I've shot my fair share of Glocks, I prefer to call them Blocks because it feels like I'm holding onto a brick when it's in my hand. They're a very dependable gun,Image but I do not like their ergonomics.Image
I've put over 2000 rounds through my M&P without incident.

I just love my M&P.....Image
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby texan68 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Check out STI International. They are currently coming out with a lot of different styles. Very nice shooting.

http://www.stiguns.com/
Leave it better than you found it. Pick up your empties.
texan68
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum