.260 Rem.

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

.260 Rem.

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey guys! I posted a topic on this forum awhile ago about the .243. I ended up trading one of my back up shotguns for a Savage mo. 11 in .260remington. I love this gun. It ought to make a great deer rifle and would still do the trick on coyotes or smaller game.

Ammunition is hard to find for this caliber and when you do find some in stock you'll have to spend an arm and leg for a box! So I've been reloading alot of my own ammunition for it and seem to have pretty good success! I did alittle research online: It was introduced in 1997 by remington. It was developed by taking a .308 casing and sizing it down to .264 (6.5mm). Bullet sizes range anywhere from 95/100gr. to 140gr and up to 160gr. Many people I've talked to say the .260 is a good and very accurate/flat shooting caliber....unfortunately its not more popular!

Anyways, I've been getting bulk .308 since its pretty easy to find and sizing them down. I use 44.1grs. of IMR 4831 and Hornandy's SST 129gr bullets. I'm getting a published 2800fps....

I paired the gun w/ a relatively cheap Bushnell Banner 4-12x40mm scope. I've found that it is very accurate gun and is a blast to shoot. Hardly any recoil and should make a nice deer gun!

Feel free to comment, I just thought I'd let ya'll know what new toy I have. Any comments and/or suggestions are welcomed!

P.S. I'm always looking for cheaper .308 brass :beer:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Re: .260 Rem.

Postby apexhunter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:51 am

The .260 Rem is inherently a fairly accurate cartridge and was born somewhat out if necessity for a youth or women's round chambered in smaller lightweight rifles. It is the smaller sibling to the 7mm-08 and provides a greater range of heavier bullet weights than a .243 and therefore carries more energy downrange than the .243. I remember when it came out Craig Boddington took a .260 on as a project for his wife to see just how accurate and effective the round would be on medium size game. He found some good recipes for sub MOA ammo and he and his wife both took some nice animals with the package.

I considered the .260 as a secondary deer cartridge a few years back but settled on the .25WSSM and haven't looked back except for the fact that like the .260 factory ammo is scarce and very expensive . So, like you I have begun loading my own and am working on a couple recipes tailored to my gun and to my hunting style. Overall the .260 is a very proficient deer round and is easy to shoot with good ballistics and very low recoil...and the smaller frame rifles are a joy to carry and are easily maneuvered in a box blind.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby mw46 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:58 pm

The 260 was a wildcat used in long range shooting long before Remington commercialized it.It is an excellent and very effective target round to 1000 yards (maybe a lil more if your ducks are in a row) and a very good deer cartridge. It is popular as a target round,unfortunately that doesnt do much for factory ammo but just as well since your handloadling :thumbsup: Good luck and have fun with your new toy ,theres some excellent 6.5mm bullets with a high BC available,dont be scared to strectch its legs :biggrin:
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:30 pm

mw46 wrote:The 260 was a wildcat used in long range shooting long before Remington commercialized it.It is an excellent and very effective target round to 1000 yards (maybe a lil more if your ducks are in a row) and a very good deer cartridge. It is popular as a target round,unfortunately that doesnt do much for factory ammo but just as well since your handloadling :thumbsup: Good luck and have fun with your new toy ,theres some excellent 6.5mm bullets with a high BC available,dont be scared to strectch its legs :biggrin:

Have any suggestions? Ive been shooting anywhere from 250-500yds w/ my reloads so far.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby mw46 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Check out Berger VLD's,Hornady A-max's, and Sierra Matchkings,all available in 140 grain. With the exception of Berger I would be cautious about using them for hunting though. You probably already know this,but if your serious about getting the most accuracy possible buy as many different types of powder,primers, and cases you can afford and go from there. After you find that magical combination,give me your leftover powder :biggrin: http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics ... tors.shtml is a good place to figure all the specifics without having to shoot alot to get on target
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:39 pm

Like I said in my earlier posts, for my deer cartridge I really am liking the 129gr. Hornandy SST bullets. There doing about 2800fps w/ IMR 4831. Ive looked up the balistics with this load and seem to be hitting pretty well. I'll stretch it out and see how I do but so far i'm liking this load alot. :sniper:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby GUN DOG » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:37 am

Great round 6.5 in a short action, reloading it is the only way to go. I use a-maxes in other calibers with good results. I got my son a 7-08 in a model 7 youth for the reasoning of if he ever went elk hunting I think 270 was min caliber in Colorado but that was years ago haven't been for a long time. Good luck with it
GUN DOG
hunter

Postby brktrt-18 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:00 am

For some reason hunters in the US never really went for 6.5 mm rounds. My family used to all shoot .264 winmags and loved it until someone reported that it burned up barrels and the market fell out. My sister shoots a .260 in a rem model 7. Great little deer round. I am sure the 129 grain will work well but you will get a higher BC with some heavier rounds. The higher BC is one of the big benefits of the .260 with a lot of deer rounds.
brktrt-18
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum