rust in bore, what to do?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

rust in bore, what to do?

Postby SirPuddleDuck » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 am

OK guys, I have an older Glenfield 22 auto, it has a light patina of rust in the bore. I can't detect any serious pitting and it seems to get better and go away on down the rifling. Simply appears to be from long term storage upright and the most exposed portions have the patina, towards the muzzle.This is looking from the muzzle end in. I don't like cleaning a barrel from that end but thats the way it goes w/o a total disassembly . What I've tried thusfar, Hoppes, some bore foam, Shooters Choice MC7 or whatever the # is. The only thing that started to LOOK like it was working was the Shooters. Can I safely try some cream like Flitz, JB Bore paste or others. Howsabout firelapping.....

any ideas welcome!!
SirPuddleDuck
hunter

Re: rust in bore, what to do?

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:10 am

Try some of the foam bore cleaner. Works really well for fouling, I would think it would work for the rust too. Also try CLP.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:42 am

if its in the bore only. shoot it. handful of rounds will clean your rusting bore
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 am

Barnes CR10 is what I use to get copper out of my guns and the amonia usually gets rid of everything else,also.
I always wipe out and clean up with Hoppes 9 to make sure no CR10 is left in the barrel and the 9 will also clean out
any powder or grease if in the area.

A NEW bore brush will do wounders also............................even from the muzzle, just don't bang the rod into the
metal, to damage accuracy. I have used steel wool in some real bad barrels,around an old brass brush but only for 10-20 strokes.

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:05 pm

They are only good for collecting rust anyway! :lol3:
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum