henry .22

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

henry .22

Postby bayouboy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:29 pm

it's a lever-action henry. it's at the gunsmith right now because it's missing a couple parts. i would like to put a scope on it for squirrel hunting.

any recommendations on a scope for it?

anyone have one of these guns? got it back in the late 90's, has been out of commission for a little while but i love that gun.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Re: henry .22

Postby OrangeLake » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:42 pm

I've got a henry .22 that I let my dad put a red dot on it and he said it worked pretty well. Not so much for long range though. I do have a Simmons 3-9X32 on a savage .22 that I like.
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby meathead » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:17 pm

I have one - great little gun. I almost went with the marlin golden .22A, because I have a couple 336s I love...but I'm glad I didn't spend the extra cash. I don't have a scope on mine, was thinking about picking up some iron sights for it. I haven't reached out past 50 yards with mine for anything but tin cans, but it groups a whisker over an inch at 50 - should be a great squirell gun post back what scope you end up going with.
meathead
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:15 pm

thanks y'all and will do. waiting to hear from the gunsmith and see what they recommend, too.

y'all have any idea how much to drop on a scope?
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

“I have no reason to fear the hat. I put it on my head everyday.” Coach Les Miles
bayouboy
hunter

Postby meathead » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:51 am

Optics are one of those things you can spend as much or as little as you want (but you do get what you pay for, for the most part). Personally, for just picking off squirells and plinking around, I'd try Cabela's pine ridge lever action scope...it's on sale for $69.00 and I'd bet it will do everything you need. If you want to go a little more expensive and get something maybe you can transfer over to another rifle in the future, I really like the Nikon Pro Staff scopes, and they all come in under $200.

If you like the classic straight stock lever action look of the Henry, think about some iron sights. You can dial them in every bit as tight as a scope at 50-100 yards (providing your eyes are good), and you'll keep the classic look. I've put scopes on my lever actions before...and it just never felt right to me.

Now if them squirells is active at night, we need to start talking night vision...get your wallet ready :lol3:
meathead
hunter

Postby bayouboy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:55 pm

meathead wrote:Optics are one of those things you can spend as much or as little as you want (but you do get what you pay for, for the most part). Personally, for just picking off squirells and plinking around, I'd try Cabela's pine ridge lever action scope...it's on sale for $69.00 and I'd bet it will do everything you need. If you want to go a little more expensive and get something maybe you can transfer over to another rifle in the future, I really like the Nikon Pro Staff scopes, and they all come in under $200.

If you like the classic straight stock lever action look of the Henry, think about some iron sights. You can dial them in every bit as tight as a scope at 50-100 yards (providing your eyes are good), and you'll keep the classic look. I've put scopes on my lever actions before...and it just never felt right to me.

Now if them squirells is active at night, we need to start talking night vision...get your wallet ready :lol3:

that's what i was wondering about scopes. kind of figured the $30 ones would be a waste but not sure how much a decent one would cost.

i'm gonna look up iron sights, i don't know squat about rifles & scopes other than how to shoot them pretty good.
The New Orleans Saints
Superbowl XLIV Champions

bayouboy
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:53 am

If you are young or have 20/20 eye sight, go with the iron sights but if you are like me and need glasses to read the tv guide, the scope is the way to go,since seeing the rear sight,front sight and a target 20 yards out is no longer crystal clear and groups at the
rifle range are a joke.

As for scopes, you might ask Midway for some ideas, or Cabela's ............ Their tech people have helped me in the past.

good luck
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby lckstckn2smknbrls » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:22 pm

I have 3 22 rifles each one has a Simmons 22mag 3x9x32 on it.
lckstckn2smknbrls
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum