rifle sounds

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

rifle sounds

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:21 am

I have noticed when shooting my 300 WSM next to my brother-in-law's 338 Win Mag mine is much louder and has that nice Crack where his sounds more like a Shotgun or muzzle loader with a deeper BOOM. The velocity is not much different between my 180gr 2990fps and his 220gr 2880fps.

My 223 really makes a higher Crack but that is understandable with the 3700fps muzzle velocity.

Anyone else notice these sound differences?
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Re: rifle sounds

Postby apexhunter » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:05 am

The main difference in the sound of your WSM and the older 338 Win Mag is the different propellant used in the cartridges and possibly the barrel length. All things being somewhat equal the WSM loads use a faster burning powder which will make the acoustics of the report different than the slower burning powder in the 338 even though the resulting ballistics are similar.

The crack of a rifle report is actually a miniature sonic boom as the projectile is supersonic when leaving the barrel.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Re: rifle sounds

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:37 am

I use the same powder in both rounds when reloading so the powder has nothing to do withthe sound. It is mostly the velocity, even the little 22 makes the "crack" unless you are using subsonic ammo. But standing out in the bean fields behind the shooters there is a definate LOUD crack with the WSM and not with the 338. Both are using Nosler BT's and the BC is pretty close on both. I'm just guessing the bullet profile or dia with the slightly lower velocity is the difference I am hearing. I will try it with my 375H&H or 458 when the MUD freezes on the fields and see how they compare with their round nose bullets. I can tell the difference in my Mini's too. the 223 has a sharp crack and the 7.62x39 does not.

None of this is really important at all it is just interesting to me :thumbsup:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum