Who on here owns a..........

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Who on here owns a..........

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Kel tec P3at .380? Looking for opinions good, or bad. I know they are inexpesive. But thats kinda what I want. A cheap, small, and most of all light weight gun that I am actually willing to carry on a daily basis that I dont mind if it gets scratched or the blueing wore off from carrying it. I read that loaded they come in at around 12 oz. And have heard that the factory claim of a 5 lb trigger pull is probably an understatement. I can pick one up new for $229 + background check.

If you hated yours, any other suggestions for an alternative pocket gun?

thanks guys.
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Re: Who on here owns a..........

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:34 pm

Get something better. Kel tec is another one of those companies that needs improvement. Maybe you'll get a good one though. A ton of them don't mess up, but I've sold literally hundreds of Ruger LCP's and have had maybe enough to count on one hand come back to the gunsmith.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Oh, and give the S&W Bodyguard .380 a try. They are the best feeling small .380 out there in my opinion. They come with a laser too, but I don't care about that. They run $379 at Gander.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks preach. I'll check into that S&W.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:23 pm

X2 on Kel Tec. You know how it is 3 Legged, you get what you pay for. I'd lean towards the ruger lcp. I priced one at budsgunshop.com for bout $320. Nice little guns. I've got no experience with the S&W though
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby jdenny21 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:32 pm

In my opinion the Keltec and the Ruger are pretty close in comparison. They are both small and light with terrible sights and both feel pretty flimsy, I for one would not trust my life to one...

I know it's not what you want to hear, but spend some more money (you did say you'd be carrying this EVERYDAY) and look into the Sig P238, Beretta Tomcat, Kahr, and the S&W. All of these have much better sights and feel like they are a high quality pistol. My wife carries a P238, and I was absolutely SHOCKED at how accurate this miniature 1911 was the first time I fired it. I carry a Springfield EMP in 9mm and with a full 4" barrel (large for a subcompact) and found this Sig P238 almost as accurate at 15 yards; you'd be lucky to hit the paper with the LCP or the Keltec.

JD
jdenny21
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:Oh, and give the S&W Bodyguard .380 a try. They are the best feeling small .380 out there in my opinion. They come with a laser too, but I don't care about that. They run $379 at Gander.

thanks preach, I did a bunch of research (playing with guns) and decided on the BG. The guy at the store was really trying to push me towards the BG 38, but just didnt like the width of the revolver. I'll see how much I actually like it once I get to shoot it, it'll be here tuesday. Cabela's has them on sale for $349.99 + $25 shipping to my FFL.

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 pm

No, But I know where you could prolly get s pellet gun cheap... :biggrin:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:33 pm

Indaswamp wrote:No, But I know where you could prolly get s pellet gun cheap... :biggrin:

Lemme' guess.

Might it be at an auction soon?

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:37 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:No, But I know where you could prolly get s pellet gun cheap... :biggrin:

Lemme' guess.

Might it be at an auction soon?

along with 13 Benelli SBE-II's :biggrin:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby aggiechiro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:41 pm

does it come with a loaf of wonder bread?
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:42 pm

aggiechiro wrote:

does it come with a loaf of wonder bread?

No, but it does come prepped for CC, so you can get in and out of the park easy. :yes:

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:15 am

My neighbor just picked up a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard earlier today for a pocket gun. He spent some time on the range and brought it by when he got home since he asked me about it a week ago. He is really pleased and said the laser was a nice addition on that little gun. I've been tossing around the idea of getting one for summer CC :yes:
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:39 am

Buddy of mine had a kel-tec .380. It was all I could do to hold onto that damn thing when I shot it. Felt like a toy until it went off. Way too small for my hand. He shot quite a bit and didn't have too many problems at first. You'll probably be much happier with the Smith.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Leadhead » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:48 am

Any gun is better than no gun when one is needed but I would go with something bigger than a .380 for personal defense. You can get a 9mm or even a .40 in a very small auto. Bigger bullets make bigger holes. A 380 may just make the bad guy a lot badder.
Leadhead
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:53 am

Leadhead wrote:Any gun is better than no gun when one is needed but I would go with something bigger than a .380 for personal defense. You can get a 9mm or even a .40 in a very small auto. Bigger bullets make bigger holes. A 380 may just make the bad guy a lot badder.

Same size hole as a .38 or .357, although I carry a .45. :hammer:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Leadhead » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:31 am

maybe same size hole but not nearly the punch.
Leadhead
hunter

Postby fowled out » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:46 am

look into a colt mustang pocketlite .380 it is built like a 1911 and is lightweight. a loaded magazine weighs more than the pistol alone. i have one that i keep as a backup in my truck. if you arent set on a .380 look into the glock 26 and 27 models. 9mm or .40 and still easily concealed.
living the dream..........maybe not mine....but it works.
fowled out
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:27 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:Oh, and give the S&W Bodyguard .380 a try. They are the best feeling small .380 out there in my opinion. They come with a laser too, but I don't care about that. They run $379 at Gander.

thanks preach, I did a bunch of research (playing with guns) and decided on the BG. The guy at the store was really trying to push me towards the BG 38, but just didnt like the width of the revolver. I'll see how much I actually like it once I get to shoot it, it'll be here tuesday. Cabela's has them on sale for $349.99 + $25 shipping to my FFL.

Let me know how you like it. :thumbsup:

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:39 pm

fowled out wrote:look into a colt mustang pocketlite .380 it is built like a 1911 and is lightweight. a loaded magazine weighs more than the pistol alone. i have one that i keep as a backup in my truck. if you arent set on a .380 look into the glock 26 and 27 models. 9mm or .40 and still easily concealed.

sorry bud, I dont think Glock makes a gun you can carry in your front pocket. Unless you want to look like you are 'happy' to see everyone.
no need to look into other guns, as stated its paid for and will be here tuesday.

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby cazwester@yahoo.com » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 pm

[quote="jdenny21"]In my opinion the Keltec and the Ruger are pretty close in comparison. They are both small and light with terrible sights and both feel pretty flimsy, I for one would not trust my life to one...

I know it's not what you want to hear, but spend some more money (you did say you'd be carrying this EVERYDAY) and look into the Sig P238, Beretta Tomcat, Kahr, and the S&W. All of these have much better sights and feel like they are a high quality pistol. My wife carries a P238, and I was absolutely SHOCKED at how accurate this miniature 1911 was the first time I fired it. I carry a Springfield EMP in 9mm and with a full 4" barrel (large for a subcompact) and found this Sig P238 almost as accurate at 15 yards; you'd be lucky to hit the paper with the LCP or the Keltec.

I am in the market for the Sig p 238 myself. They feel great in the hand and are just way more gun than any other 380 I have held. How does it do for pocket carry?
cazwester@yahoo.com
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:30 pm

3legged_lab wrote: Unless you want to look like you are 'happy' to see everyone.

Maybe that will be enough to keep people from messing with you?
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:42 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
3legged_lab wrote: Unless you want to look like you are 'happy' to see everyone.

Maybe that will be enough to keep people from messing with you?

Or attract the wrong kind of attention, the non-female type :wink:
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Well the BG showed up tuesday. I will hopefully get time to shoot it sunday, and see how the 'evil red hole punch' works. Fits nice in pocket, and IWB. With a loaded clip I weighed it on a postal scale @ 14.5 oz.
Attachments
bodyguard.jpg

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:39 pm

well it shoots nice. Its quieter than I thought it would be, and doesnt jump near like I thought it would. The laser is nice but is really hard to see in the mid-day. Not too worried about that since odds are if it really gets used it will be near point blank range, and probably at night. The trigger pull is loooong, but that is expected being double action.

Over all not a bad little pocket gun, small enough you dont even notice its there.

good suggestion Preach. Now I have two buddies that want one.

3legged_lab
hunter

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum