need help deciding

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

need help deciding

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:46 am

hey guys, i have never owned a pistol before. i am looking into buying one, mainly for just to have. and the other reason is for home defense. i was just wandering what kind of pistol you guys recommend for a beginning shooter. i was thinking about a 9mm, .45, or a .40. also what brand do you guys recommend? a buddy of mine has a Hi-Point 9mm and he talks like he really likes it.

thanks for the help guys!
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Re: need help deciding

Postby SPAR » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:28 pm

i own a taurus pt92 in 9mm and i like it alot. it has a 17 round magazine and a good shooter. cheap to shoot and not much recoil so its easy to learn on.
SPAR
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:47 pm

thanks! have you ever shot a Hi-Point handgun or not? i am not looking to spend very much on my first one.

thanks, ILgoose
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:43 am

If you're looking for a plinking round, i.e. something for the range, then go with the 9mm. It will do self defense with the right rounds and trips to the range will be cheaper than the other rounds.

If you're looking for self defense, then I would go with the .40 or .45. I prefer the .45 over the .40 simply because the recoil is less snappy. The .45 tends to have a slow push vs the 9mm +p rounds and .40 rounds that seem to snap the wrist a bit more. I also like the .45 because you don't need "High Pressure" rounds for self defense, so your practice rounds shoot more like your defense rounds.

I have read mixed reviews on hi-point and I'm not sure I would personally get one. I'm also not a huge taurus fan.

I would personally look at the Springfield XD's, Glock's, or S&W M&P series as these are all quality guns. I think you will be happier if you spend some extra cash and get one of these brands vs a cheaper gun. Just go to the store and see which one fits better in your hands.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:35 am

thanks for the help!
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum