Kimber vs. Springfield (1911's)

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Kimber vs. Springfield (1911's)

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:16 am

Which make do you prefer? I had a chance to shoot both today (.45) at the range, very nice and very far out of my price range....for the time being that is! :biggrin:

I've always been eying the Kimber's in general, they are very sleek and have a very elegant look to them but still retain their Bad *** status. I personally like the two-tone models :eek: I was very surprised how comparable the Springfield was and I've been told by several folks that there is hardly any difference between the two (other than price tag).

I was curious if anybody else had something to add to this. All in all, both are very nice weapons and something I certainly hope to add to the collection one day!
:beer:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Re: Kimber vs. Springfield (1911's)

Postby mw46 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:07 pm

I dont have any personal experience with them, but several of our local gunshops quit stocking kimbers and went to springfield because of problems with kimbers. Alot of used kimbers ive seen seem to have warranty work done to them also, i personally would get a springfield if i had to choose, and if it was my money.
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:07 pm

I own several of both kimbers and springfield 1911, (full size 45's) and to be honest I like the springfield brand better. The kimbers have been good shooters but not any better than the other i have, plus one kimber broke a part that should not have broken under the amount of rounds that had been fired. The other reasons I like springfield better is my loaded models of theirs have what seem smoother and lighter trigger pull with also great accuracy down range, and then there is the price factor with about $300 at least differance between them with kimber being higher.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby norcalweaz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:46 pm

why not get a colt? just a thought.
norcalweaz
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:40 pm

I love my Kimber Warrior!

I added some VZ grips and got rid of the ugly peanut butter ones.

Disclaimer: It's the only 1911 I own.

If you go Kimber, get either Warrior or Desert Warrior since they are the only two Kimber makes that don't have the "Schwartz" safety.
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:48 am

norcalweaz wrote:why not get a colt? just a thought.

Colt sucks now. You're paying for a name. For the same price of a base model colt, you can just about buy a Kimber or Loaded Springfield.

The main difference is the safety system. The Kimbers have a firing pin block (like on Glocks and other striker fired guns) and is deactivated when you grip the grip safety. The Springfields use a heavy firing pin spring to prevent them from being fired when dropped.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Brydog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:26 am

Not to highjack your thread but,,, I just picked this up yesterday. It's a Sig Sauer 1911 c3 in 45acp. I haven't put any lead down range with it yet. Hopefully I'll get to the range today.
I went to buy the Sig Sauer P220 carry, but when I saw this gun and felt it in my hands, I just had to have it.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby duckkillerclyde » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:48 pm

I own 2 kimber 1 springfield and 1 colt. I feel the springfield outshoots all of them. I like the springfield probably the best.
valley waterfowlers
duckkillerclyde
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby TomKat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:17 pm

My Springfield Trophy cup shoots like a champ, best of the 4 diffrent ones I have owned.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Brydog » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:16 pm

I've shot a few of the Springfields and really liked them, just not enough to purchase one. I'm still kinda fond of my S&W M&P's and Sig Sauer's.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum