Compact 40

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Compact 40

Postby TCFarmer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm looking to carry a smaller handgun. Current gun is an XD 40, 4" barrel, and 12 round mag, in a Milt Sparks VM2. With summer coming up, I am looking for something a little smaller and lighter to carry when it's warm out.

Right now the top of my list is the PX4, or the XD. I have handled both and a couple of others. Even though I have been shooting the full size XD for 3 years, the PX4 felt better in my hand, but I haven't shot it yet.

I also like the compact 1911, but it's almost twice the money of the others.

So what do you like in the sub/compact handgun? How do you carry yours?
TCFarmer
hunter

Re: Compact 40

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:14 pm

I carry a full sized Glock most of the time, even in the summer. Sometimes I'll carry my sub-compact though. Since you have an XD already, I'd go with a sub-compact XD as well. You can carry a small mag in the pistol, then carry a full size one as your backup since the magazines will interchange. Just my 2 cents though.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:22 pm

you really need to look at the Kahr CW40. A great gun, just what you are looking for
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby TCFarmer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Thanks guys. I'm gonna head up to the range next week and try a couple different guns.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:06 pm

Why not the sub-compact XD-40? I carry one daily.
devildog28
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:45 pm

How did you 2 like your trigger on the xd. I was looking at getting the full size in 40. I have small hands so its one of the guns with small grip thats durable and not high priced from what ive read. But I also read most people hate the stock trigger, and I wouldnt want to buy a brand new gun and drop more money on trigger job.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:08 pm

You might want to check out the Sig 250 compact in 40 cal. You can get different barrels in other calibers to mske it go from 9 mm up to 45. A real good deal as the price is right under 400 bucks for the 40 cal. Plus I carry mine as my primary off duty weapon. Give it a try, think you will like it. :bow: :hi: :welcome:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:29 pm

brsutton86 wrote:How did you 2 like your trigger on the xd. I was looking at getting the full size in 40. I have small hands so its one of the guns with small grip thats durable and not high priced from what ive read. But I also read most people hate the stock trigger, and I wouldnt want to buy a brand new gun and drop more money on trigger job.

I didn't mind it. It's a striker fired pistol, you won't ever get a trigger pull the same as a single action pistol. I don't think it's bad for a striker fired gun at all. They all feel about the same to me other than S&W Sigmas, they're horrendous.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DanJeffandJack » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:09 pm

I ended up going with the subcompact XD .40 and I really like it. It was my first pistol, so I can't really comment on the trigger as I don't have much experience with other pistols. I have put 800rds through it already without any problems.

If I had to do it again, I would think very hard about the 9mm instead of the .40 simply because ammo costs are adding up quickly with the .40. Since this is my first pistol, I feel I need a lot of practice to get comfortable with it. However, had I been previously proficient with a pistol I couldn't have been happier with the .40 XD SC.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum