i cant sight it in, my scope is out of adjustment.

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

i cant sight it in, my scope is out of adjustment.

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:52 am

I just got a Rock River Arms Coyote Rifle. It came with a free scope mount so I put a Burris Fullfield II on it and tried to sight it in. After running out of adjustment on the scope I tried to shim the rings. I got the windage good but even with 2 layers of business card under the scope in the front ring I'm still shooting over a foot high @ 50 yds! Should I pitch the so called "$100 value" FREE mount and just get a good set of rings or what?
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Re: i cant sight it in, my scope is out of adjustment.

Postby TomKat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 am

That is one hell of a nice rifle. My coyote calling partner has one, it is very accurate. You did good!

Toss those rings, and get a decent scope, too. I would recomend the new Redfield 2X7 scope, mine is good...they are made by Leupold.

Sorry to the Burris fans I just pissed off.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby devildog28 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Probably got too high of a mount. Is is a flat top upper?

Also trading your Burris for a Redfield is pointless because they're both good scopes. You won't gain anything by doing that.
devildog28
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:38 pm

devildog28 wrote:Probably got too high of a mount. Is is a flat top upper?

Wouldn't a mount that's too high make it shoot too low? :huh:
Yes, the Coyote is a flat top.
tucker301
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Also trading your Burris for a Redfield is pointless because they're both good scopes. You won't gain anything by doing that.

What power is the Burris? I have found that a 2 x 7 is an excellent set up for an AR used for calling.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby brktrt-18 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:20 am

Something is not manufactured correctly or set up correctly. I would check that the rings and scope are mounted correctly then bore sight it. If it won't bore sight try a different scope then different rings.
brktrt-18
hunter

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:25 am

The scope is 4.5-14X50. I thought about taking the mount to a machine shop and having about. .005" machined out of the bottom of the rear ring. This would tip the scope up slightly getting me closer to my POI. Is it true that if I remove the mount and remount it I wont lose my zero? I've heard that you can take them off, put them back on and not have to resight it in but I'm skeptical.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:56 am

A scope is a scope.....................the rings have to be correct or made right for it to work.

I would make sure they are placed correctly if of different hights ..............
then go to a new set of rings/mount system that works for that scope if all else fails.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:37 am

The first time a young pup burst out of the bush next to you at about 30 yards, you are gonna see what I mean about having a low powered scope for calling coyotes. My R15 has a 1.5-6 power scope on it.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Thank you all for your input but the dude at the gun shop figured it out. I asked him to bore sight it for me and he said "hold on, lets get everything sittin' on here square first". I didn't have the rear pin of the mount nested into the picitanny rail. So the scope was angled down about 3/16", which is why it was shooting a foot high @ 50 yards. What a bonehead (me).
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:07 pm

TomKat wrote:

What power is the Burris? I have found that a 2 x 7 is an excellent set up for an AR used for calling.

The one I have is a 3x9. It came on a 30-06 I bought and hasn't got out of adjustment once. I have a VX-3 2.5x8 on my 6.8 AR and find that it's just the perfect size.
devildog28
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Yeah, ya gotta love those lower power scopes
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:26 am

What does a groundhog look like at 400 yds through a 7X scope? I opted for the 4.5-14 so I have decent close range ability as well as being able to see the gnats buzzing around a woodchuck at 1/4 mile before he even sticks his head up. 4.5X isn't too much at 30 yds with a 50mm objective lens.....at least not for me. In shorter terms my rifle is "diverse".
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum