.45ACP JHP Selection

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

.45ACP JHP Selection

Postby crispy8034 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi all,
As I stated in another thread, I just recently picked up my first pistol. It is a Beretta PX4 Storm in .45ACP. I really like the gun thus far; only about 80 rds through at this point, no issues whatsoever. Does anyone have any favorite JHP ammunition? Is it essential to fire some of these through my gun to ensure they cycle correctly? I have assume so but since I'm new, might as well ask.

A question in general about shooting HP's. Should I expect a tighter grouping with FMJ vs JHP? Basically I'm wondering if there are aerodynamic issues with the projectile itself that cause it to be inherently less accurate. Curiosity question I guess.

Thanks!
:hi:
If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time and for no good reason.
crispy8034
hunter

Re: .45ACP JHP Selection

Postby cazwester@yahoo.com » Sun May 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Something to think about for all semi automatic handguns that use a magazine, a good break in with FMJ with a smooth cone shaped nose on them is smart to polish the feed ramp up. I am sure some will say different amounts of actual rounds to break in and some might say that is BS but I firmly believe 200 rounds of rounded ammo thru any new handgun before hollow points.
cazwester@yahoo.com
hunter

Postby adustydawg » Sun May 15, 2011 7:15 pm

Agree with the 200 or more rounds of round ball ammo. I carry a 45 as my on duty weapon and we use the Federal Hydroshock plus p 230 grain hollowpoint. But in my off duty i use the new Hornady TAP 200 plus P hollowpoints. Hornady rounds like this are extremely accurate and really pack a punch. Not for the weak of heart or wrist. Use these rounds only for self defense or as a house gun round. Just my .02. :bow:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Speer Gold Dots or Winchester PDX-1's. I also like the new Hornady Critical Defense ammo. You won't go wrong with either of those three. They seem to be the most reliable when it comes to opening after going through denim or anything else. Buy a QUALITY hollow point no matter what you choose. Don't by the winchester's that are 29.99 for 50 rounds. You should pay somewhere around 30 bucks for 20 rounds.

As far as accuracy, it'll be the same. As close as you'll be shooting for defense, it doesn't matter if they're the exact same or not. Most defense applications happen within 21 feet.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Tue May 17, 2011 1:00 pm

I have owned and reloaded a number of .45 ACP's. They are great fun to shoot and proven man stoppers.

The folks here have all given you good advice in the comments above. Personally, I like to run about 500 rounds thru any autoloading pistol before I proclaim it broken in. Take it apart and clean it up real good, then go shoot it some more.

I use TAP ammo in my .40 that I have as my home defender now. It is good ammo, and so is Gold dot and Golden Saber ammo. You need to shoot a variety and see what your particular gun likes.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:35 pm

To help your search, look up tnoutdoors9 on youtube. He does a ton of ballistics tests with a bunch of calibers of pistols. All his tests are done with denim and wet newspapers in water jugs. Granted, it's a little different than shooting a person, but it does a good job of showing how each round COULD perform.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby crispy8034 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:49 pm

Appreciate the responses guys. I do plan on putting several hundred (maybe even thousand, over time) rounds through the gun as I am a big fan of target shooting in general as well as a big fan of being familiar with the guns I handle.

I did a bit of research on the +P ammo as a general topic. I do remember specifically my owner's manual saying that these should not be shot through the gun, but figured that was there for liability reasons at the very least. Since I plan on keeping this gun for a good long while, I'm thinking the best option would be to go the conservative route and fire standard (i.e. not +P or +P+) JHPs. :beer:
If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time and for no good reason.
crispy8034
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed May 18, 2011 4:33 am

crispy8034 wrote:Appreciate the responses guys. I do plan on putting several hundred (maybe even thousand, over time) rounds through the gun as I am a big fan of target shooting in general as well as a big fan of being familiar with the guns I handle.

I did a bit of research on the +P ammo as a general topic. I do remember specifically my owner's manual saying that these should not be shot through the gun, but figured that was there for liability reasons at the very least. Since I plan on keeping this gun for a good long while, I'm thinking the best option would be to go the conservative route and fire standard (i.e. not +P or +P+) JHPs. :beer:

Get that +p crap out of your head. The standard ball ammo will kill people like crazy, ask the japs on Iwo Jima how it worked or the VC in Cambodia how it worked in the tunnels there.

Just stick to basics, see what ammo your guns groups well with, and dont over think things.
TomKat
Dorothy

.45ACP JHP Selection

Postby DanJeffandJack » Mon May 30, 2011 10:26 am

Preach, thanks for the link to TNoutdoors. I was originally leaning toward the Gold Dots, but after watching the PDx ammo video I was pretty impressed and am now leaning toward that. What is your opinion on the PDx v. Short barrel gold dots? I have a subcompact xd 40.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum