Any Muzzleloader Shooters 'round Here?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Postby luie b » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:58 am

Any of you guys here shoot REAL muzzleloaders :lol3:. I don't know if you've noticed or seen my little picture by my name on here but I'm a little bit of a black powder addict. What I mean by "real" muzzleloaders is the traditional black powder, patched round lead ball shooting muzzleloaders. Pretty much all of mine are the Hawken or Plains style of rifles and one double barrel blackpowder shotgun that I wouldn't mind using on waterfowl if I'm successful at it this season. So, anybody around here shoot and hunt with traditional muzzleloaders?
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Re: Any Muzzleloader Shooters 'round Here?

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:35 pm

I wanted a traditional one, but wound up with an inline because the Omega was cheaper. I'll never put a scope on it. I'm going to get a traditional Hawken or Kentucky flintlock at some point.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby luie b » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Cool, I started out with a kentucky but regret not going to a hawken because the T/C and other companies reproductions of a hawken are better than CVA's kentucky rifle. I just had lots of problems with CVA but I here Cabelas Kentucky rifle is pretty good but more expensive.
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Leadhead » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:50 am

I recently bough a Lyman Great Plains .54 for 100.00 bucks which I thought was a very good deal. Shot it about 6/7 times a couple of weeks ago ad it was a blast. Pyrodex and round balls. Do you have a good load for the .54. I read where this rifle was made to shoot the roud balls so I have not tried any other bullets yet.
Leadhead
hunter

Postby luie b » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:15 pm

I don't use anything but real black powder because pyrodex is unreliable if you ask me and harder to clean up, and pyrodex sometimes causes more rust. All I shoot is round balls because they're cheap and bring home the deer as long as you wait for the right shot.
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby pahunter1 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:18 am

have a Lyman great plains, and love it. sold my cva inline a few years back and don't miss it for a second...
shoot patch and ball with 2F & 3F powder respectively... tried the powerbelts and pyrodex but noticed the rusting very quickly...
often taking the flint out during rifle season... (my only dilemma is what to take out during the gun seasons... my bow or fint?)

there is nothing like the feeling of the "traditional" methods to harvest a deer...
Just an Average "Joe" hunting the "Keystone State"
pahunter1
hunter

Postby tucker301 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:15 pm

I shoot a Savage 10ML-II.
It is quite real! :thumbsup:

tucker301
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:31 am

tucker301 wrote:I shoot a Savage 10ML-II.
It is quite real! :thumbsup:

Nope..... just a glorified single shot rifle........................... :fingerpt:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Alright, I finally got my T/C Hawken. This guy cost me $25 bucks at work today:

There was minimal rust on the outside (about 4 places the size of a pin head) and the barrel had some rust in it. No pitting from what I could see down the barrel. All the rust is coming out well. Any tips on getting the rest out and shooting round balls?

I've never shot a percussion gun, so I'm wondering if I can shoot #10 caps out of a #11 nipple. The #10 fits well on it and doesn't slip. From what I've read, the #10 is just a shorter #11.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Well, I lied. It looks like there's quite a bit of pitting in the barrel. How bad is that going to fudge me up?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:34 am

If the pitting has done minimum damage to the rifling "Lands" you are good to go, deep pitting to the lands will fill in with lead over time................50 rounds might be what that gun needs ?

My original 36 cal Navy pistol and long rifle both have some pitting and the pistol shot a deer off the front porch in Red Bluff Calif
the year before my Father got it,back in the 60's.

Go for it !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Takum » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:13 pm

This is a good gun I have two one in 54cal one in 50 run some balls through it and yes you can use the #10 caps if you have them. :beer:

Preacher1011 wrote:Alright, I finally got my T/C Hawken. This guy cost me $25 bucks at work today:

There was minimal rust on the outside (about 4 places the size of a pin head) and the barrel had some rust in it. No pitting from what I could see down the barrel. All the rust is coming out well. Any tips on getting the rest out and shooting round balls?

I've never shot a percussion gun, so I'm wondering if I can shoot #10 caps out of a #11 nipple. The #10 fits well on it and doesn't slip. From what I've read, the #10 is just a shorter #11.
Takum
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:42 am

I’m also a fan of traditional muzzleloaders. When I first started deer hunting with one about 30 years ago you pretty much had the woods to yourself. Here in NJ they referred to archery and black powder seasons as “primitive weapons” seasons, with the intent being to give hunters who were “handicapped” by the limitations of their weapons a season to themselves. The hunters who used these weapons were as much students of history as they were hunters. Well there is nothing primitive about these weapons now (exactly how old does an archer have to be before he takes the training wheels off his bow, anyway?). The manufacturers looked at the law and saw an opportunity to sell more products by adhering to the letter of the law, if not the spirit. A whole new generation of hunters snapped these guns up, not caring at all about the history behind the guns, but rather merely desiring another season to take additional deer. Now the traditionalists spend the season surrounded by something they were trying to get away from in the first place.

Well, enough of my ranting. Regarding the guns, I do all my deer hunting with a .50 Jonathon Browning Mountain Rifle. At one point I had the adjustable sight replaced with a fixed sight to make it more authentic. The barrel has a 1 in 66” rate of twist, making it a true round ball shooter. It’s a heavy SOB too, which makes it a chore to carry but that weight gives it inertia that keeps it on target while you are aiming. I also have two Pedersoli rifles I use for squirrel hunting. One is a .32 flinter and the other a .36 caplock (sold by Cabelas, under the Blue Ridge brand). Let me tell you, you have not had fun hunting until you have bagged a mess of bushytails with a front loader! Keep yer powder dry!
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:22 pm

i shoot a .54 cal Hawken with 100grains of triple 7 and a round ball.... i bought it when i was 14 and shot my first and biggest buck with it and was 100% on deer hits until this past winter i missed my first buck due to bumping the hair trigger before i was ready but anyways i love my gun i can shoot a 2inch at 60 yds with it and my inline muzzle-loader hunting buddies were surprised by the accuracy it seems like people usually get the wrong impression when i say i shoot a round ball and a patch
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Postby Luvawoodie » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:47 pm

I have an Austin Halleck Flintlock mountain rifle in 50 cal and a Hatfield Kentucky style .36 cal per. gun I love also shoot a few smoothies as well
Voted "Handsdown the Biggest Jackwagon On the Site" by Shouldabeenswallowed!!!

My own prostaff
Luvawoodie
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:29 am

I had a Lyman GPR 50 cal but sold it.Wish I had kept it.I have ab Omega now but am considering selling it to return to trad ML.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby Welshman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Picture of my custom under hammer 50 cal ,been into black powder shooting now going on six years.Have a 54 cal T/C Hawkins also.
Attachments
DSC_0042.jpg
Y Cymro Gwehyddu
Welshman
hunter

Postby BASSFAN07 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 pm

I have a savage ml10 50 camo stainless.

I also have a Pedersoli Kodiak double rifle 53 cal double barrel muzzle loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BASSFAN07
hunter

Postby BASSFAN07 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 pm

Double post

Wish I could sell the double barrel
BASSFAN07
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 pm

BASSFAN07 wrote:Double post

Wish I could sell the double barrel

what are you asking for it??
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:59 pm

i don't buy a pa doe tag for nothing. 50 cal hawken flintlokck shooting 90 grains of FF and TC maxiballs with a dash of FFFF in the pan.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 172
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 am

Bernie P. wrote:I had a Lyman GPR 50 cal but sold it.Wish I had kept it.I have ab Omega now but am considering selling it to return to trad ML.

The Lyman GPR is a great gun if you want a fairly faithful Hawkin replica. Most of those called "Hawkins" barely resemble the originals. My son wants to get into muzzleloading and the Lyman is the rifle I plan of getting for him.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 am

clymerfowler wrote:i don't buy a pa doe tag for nothing. 50 cal hawken flintlokck shooting 90 grains of FF and TC maxiballs with a dash of FFFF in the pan.

Hell yeah, i agree with you 100% you bought you might as well fill it. Looks like some good dinners you shot there.
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum