remington vs. savage?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

remington vs. savage?

Postby cshunter » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 am

ok so im looking to get into long range shooting. i know i want a .308 but im stuck on which rifle to go with. ive always heard great things on the 700 platform but ive been hearing good things about the new savage rifles. any opinions? im not trying to break the bank at this point on the rifle but i want something decent. i can always upgrade the stock later. thanks!
cshunter
hunter

Re: remington vs. savage?

Postby Sandman3400 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:03 am

Long range shooting is not my thing, but both remington (700) and savage have a reputation for accuracy.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 pm

either one is good, but let me throw another rifle at you. the weatherby vanguard series 2. it cost about the same as either one, comes with adustable trigger like both but the big differance is it comes with a gurantee to shoot 0.99 inch or less groups also known as sub moa. I have rifles from all three companys and to tell the truth the weatherby I like the best plus it helps that it will shoot very tight groups like they promised. I currently have series 2 vanguards in 7mm mag, 300 mag, 30-06 , and 25-06. ll performed like the company said. Just a thought for you
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Honestly, it's not saying much for a rifle to shoot under an inch at 100 yards out of the box anymore. Hell my X-Bolt will shoot under 1/2". I think it really comes down to fit and aftermarket support (if you plan on modifying it). Both the 700 as well as the Savage are excellent in terms of aftermarket support. Pick whichever one YOU like better.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Wolfe » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:45 am

It's all about the glass. I would buy the less expensive rifle and put the cash you saved toward a nicer scope.
Wolfe
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Savages as of late are more accurate.
devildog28
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:58 am

For what its worth-

I had a 700 with that wonderful push feed bolt. It shot pretty good, but I had to have a gunsmith do a trigger job on it. Anyway I had a coyote out there at 160 yards, wounded him (fatally) and as I short stroked the bolt in my excitment, it jammed. Yes, a bolt action, at least a push feed bolt, can jam.

I sold the SOB the next week.

I have some savage rifles that shoot like a house of fire, with no jams. And, the Accutrigger is a wonderful invention, no need to pay a gunsmith when you can adjust your own trigger to 3 lbs....
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mw46 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:18 am

If your wanting a 308 i personally think its hard to beat a remington 5r for a factory rifle
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:13 am

devildog28 wrote:Savages as of late are more accurate.

I think its because their barrels are so good.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:41 am

The floating interchangeable bolt head, double locking lugs, faster lock time, stiffer action and barrel lock nut for head spacing the interchangeable barrels makes Savage superior to Remington.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:59 pm

They are both great rifles..............................
but I did notice on a tv show about snipers, that they all had a Rem 700 but they were all probably tricked out and had those super duper scopes on them , that does everything !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Sagebrush wrote:They are both great rifles..............................
but I did notice on a tv show about snipers, that they all had a Rem 700 but they were all probably tricked out and had those super duper scopes on them , that does everything !!

The 700 is the action for all the bolt action rifles in the Marine Corps and Army. The M-24 that the army uses is a long action and the M-40 the Marines use is a short action. Both have McMillian stocks and other bells and whistles. I'm not sure what scope the Army puts on the M-24, but the Marines use a Schmidt & Bender PM3. I know they used to use Leupolds, and may still on some.

Both are great rifles. Savage has come a long way as of late. It's a lot easier to change the barrels on the Savage if you want to. They come threaded and all you have to do is take the old one off, screw the new one on, get the head spacing right, and you're ready to go. You won't go wrong with either rifle.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tucker301 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Savage is by far the most consistently accurate out of the box production rifle you can get.
Add to that the vast supply of aftermarket accessories and the relative low cost, and it's a no-brainer.

tucker301
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:20 am

I have a bull barrel Ruger in 22-250 that does that also......................
reloaded 52bt to 70gr Speer........... FMJ from 1600fps to 3640fps fac dup, ammo.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:02 pm

tucker301 wrote:Savage is by far the most consistently accurate out of the box production rifle you can get.
Add to that the vast supply of aftermarket accessories and the relative low cost, and it's a no-brainer.

I CANNOT FREAKING BELIEVE THAT WE AGREE ON SOMETHING. ARE YOU SURE ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST WROTE? ON TOP OF ALL THAT, YOU ARE A VARMINT HUNTER. DOES YOUR FELLOW TREE HUGGERS KNOW YOU SHOOT THOSE POOR LITTLE MAMMALS?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:24 pm

:lol:

Coming from someone who has owned and shot both remingtons and savages, Savages are the way to go right out of the box. Remingtons have good actions, but to get one to be a really sweet shooting rifle, you gotta get some aftermarket parts, like a custom trigger and a nice stock with either a properly bedding system or a free floating barrel and not to mention a scope.

However, all you need to do with a savage is buy a nice scope, adjust the trigger and booya. Tack driver right out of the box for a reasonable price.

Heck, you can buy a brand new Savage 111 with no scope for around 350 bucks, buy a custom barrel in some oddball caliber and really nice custom stock. Swap out the barrels, set it in the new stock and you've got yourself a "custom for you" rifle.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby TomKat » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:55 am

Eric I have a Stevens 200, it is one hell of a good rifle for 300 bucks. And its trigger is adjustable, too.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:46 pm

TomKat wrote:Eric I have a Stevens 200, it is one hell of a good rifle for 300 bucks. And its trigger is adjustable, too.

Didn't I shoot that one when you had the bbq? Next time I'm ever out that way, I will have to bring one of our bench/varmint rifles out. Or if I ever get a scope for my savage 16...

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby TomKat » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:37 am

Yes you did. That gun has wacked many a coyote.

After the season when the weather is nice, come on out and we will do some shooting
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:28 am

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby AaronSDMF » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Well it all depends on what you call "long range" and what type of shooting you wanna do.

I would however go with savage to get your feet wet. they are out of the box shooters, rem 700 platform does offer a little more variety in the way of aftermarket stuff and more gunsmiths specialize in customizing them.

I would buy a $500 savage target action with a .473 bolt face then buy a good tube from either shilen, lija, krieger ect ect (with a .473 bolt face you can pick just about any damn chambering for your barrel), then a good stock. Reason is I bet you will want to get a aftermarket barrel and stock within 6months of buying that rifle, so if you build it piece by piece you will save money and have a better rifle off the bat.

heres some of mine
savage 308
rem 6.5x284
savage 6mmBR
AaronSDMF
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:22 pm

savage all the way... i've had 2 remingtons rifles new... 770.. junk.. and a 597 .22 that jamed up with yellowjackets... i've had many savages and love them all... .22lr, .22mag, .17hmr and a 22-250 predator 10... wish I still had em all....the .22-250 new outta the box with usa1 bulk ammo took 5 shots to zero at 100 yards... we set skeet up at 300 yards..... I think it was a 9.8 drop on my BSA scope.. 2 shots.. 2 skeet... I can't say enough about the accu trigger.... I still have the .22lr.. my first and favorite rifle... I shoot spent casings at 50-75 yrds with it ..... :thumbsup:
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:08 pm

I've heard good things about savage barrel, but I say buy a remmy. The remington 700 is the small block chevrolet of actions. Not to mention that a trigger job is as easy as turning two screws. They're both junk compared to a full custom or even a trued action with a good tube and stock, but that's a different discussion.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum