remington 770

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

remington 770

Postby cshunter » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:08 pm

ok so i have my remington 770 in 30-06. there are alot of mixed reviews on this gun mostly about the action being horrible which i can agree upon and the accuracy being pretty good especially for the cost of the gun. my question is does anyone think it would be worth the money to put some nice glass on the rifle. there is a barska scope for 3something that was looking nice.
User avatar
cshunter
hunter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:35 pm


Re: remington 770

Postby devildog28 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:59 pm

No, and there's no way I'd pay 300 for a Barska.
User avatar
devildog28
hunter
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Katy, TX

Re: remington 770

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:24 am

I wouldn't spend a ton of money on glass but something like a Bushnell Elite 3200 or Nikon Buckmasters wouldn't be a bad investment. I wouldn't use a Barska scope on my 22 if I got it for free.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:40 am
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Re: remington 770

Postby guywithhat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:23 pm

id spend the 50-60 bucks for a BSA first.... then throw the 770 in the swamp.... I had one in .243... when the bolt was back.. it swung like a barn door... I gave it to a buddy.. and he ended up having to eject shells using a hammer...
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
User avatar
guywithhat
hunter
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 am
Location: St. Lawrence River - Ontario

Re: remington 770

Postby PungoShoresOutdoors » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:52 pm

The bolt is absolutely terrible, I don't even know how they are able to sell this rifle with that bolt. That being said, my buddy has one and it is very accurate, but you will probably only get one shot. If this is the rifle you plan to stick with, theres no reason not to put a good scope on it. Plus, if you upgrade one day, you can switch the scope out.
User avatar
PungoShoresOutdoors
hunter
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: remington 770

Postby guywithhat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:43 pm

i've heard the term polished turd before, but never really understood until I bought a brand new 770 :yes:
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
User avatar
guywithhat
hunter
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 am
Location: St. Lawrence River - Ontario

Re: remington 770

Postby TCEA_Wintertime » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:01 pm

i use a 700in .308 caliber and it works great but my friend has a 770 and said he likes it but he hasnt shot it much
Team Cut Em All
"Cut em"
"Kill Ducks"
TCEA_Wintertime
hunter
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:47 pm
Location: Beaufort,SC

Re: remington 770

Postby Garand » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:10 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with spending good money on a scope, one of my scopes does double duty on a few of my rifles.

With good scopes and good mounts you move the scopes back and forth with minimal time re-zeroing.
User avatar
Garand
hunter
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:08 am

Re: remington 770

Postby #1jumpshooter » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:40 am

there is nothing wrong with your gun so don't throw it in a swamp or any crap that these guys are saying. My buddy bought a 770 in 300win mag with a 3-9 Bushnell on it and he shoots the cheap Winchester soft points out of it. at 200 yards he is shooting less than a 3" group and as far as I'm concerned that is pretty impressive for the fact he is shooting the least expensive bullets scope and gun. So spend what you can afford because in the end the bullet will make the biggest difference in your accuracy.
#1jumpshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 pm
Location: Marshall, MI

Re: remington 770

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 pm

I firmly believe in the old saying of "Spend at least half of what you paid for the gun on a scope."

But you have a 770.


We have so many 770's at my store. Seems like we only sell 1 to every 15 savage axis's. I hate those rifles. I don't see why someone would buy something that cheaply built. Spend like 40 bucks more and get a savage or even a mossberg 100atr. Those Remingtons are turds.

Okay rant over, back to your original question. I would go ahead and get a decent scope. No need to drop big bucks on a scope that is going on that rifle, but if you ever get rid of the rifle (which I recommend :hammer: ) you can pull the scope off and have something decent. Nikon Pro Staff series, Redfields and the lower end Leupolds (VX-1 series).
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
User avatar
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:56 pm
Location: Wishing I was near the magical place of sugar

Re: remington 770

Postby Preacher1011 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 pm

#1jumpshooter wrote:there is nothing wrong with your gun so don't throw it in a swamp or any crap that these guys are saying. My buddy bought a 770 in 300win mag with a 3-9 Bushnell on it and he shoots the cheap Winchester soft points out of it. at 200 yards he is shooting less than a 3" group and as far as I'm concerned that is pretty impressive for the fact he is shooting the least expensive bullets scope and gun. So spend what you can afford because in the end the bullet will make the biggest difference in your accuracy.


You can't exactly base a guns performance off of "my buddy has one." That's one gun out of many.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.


jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?


Image
User avatar
Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 8454
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: remington 770

Postby Weim all the way » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:19 am

You should probably trade it in and get a 700 they had the recall a while back about the bolt blowing out but that is suppose to be fixed and every gunsmith I've talked to said you loose almost all your accuracy after about 100 shots becausethere a rubber bushings that seats the cartridge and it wears out and gets loose after about 100 rounds and I've loved Remington since day 1 but this gun is almost a much junk as a mossberg 100 atr from what I've seen any gun that is $300 or less and comes with a scope both. Scope and gun are cheep garbage
User avatar
Weim all the way
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: remington 770

Postby #1jumpshooter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:
#1jumpshooter wrote:there is nothing wrong with your gun so don't throw it in a swamp or any crap that these guys are saying. My buddy bought a 770 in 300win mag with a 3-9 Bushnell on it and he shoots the cheap Winchester soft points out of it. at 200 yards he is shooting less than a 3" group and as far as I'm concerned that is pretty impressive for the fact he is shooting the least expensive bullets scope and gun. So spend what you can afford because in the end the bullet will make the biggest difference in your accuracy.


You can't exactly base a guns performance off of "my buddy has one." That's one gun out of many.


I was just trying to make a point because im sick of the @****** on this chat that just want to rip on someones stuff instead of just replying to the questions. The monitors on this chat site need to get rid of or block the crap bags that do stuff like that. Well than if i cant base performance off a good personal experience than you or anyone else cant call it bad over one bad personal experience.
#1jumpshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 pm
Location: Marshall, MI

Re: remington 770

Postby sws002 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 pm

#1jumpshooter wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:
#1jumpshooter wrote:there is nothing wrong with your gun so don't throw it in a swamp or any crap that these guys are saying. My buddy bought a 770 in 300win mag with a 3-9 Bushnell on it and he shoots the cheap Winchester soft points out of it. at 200 yards he is shooting less than a 3" group and as far as I'm concerned that is pretty impressive for the fact he is shooting the least expensive bullets scope and gun. So spend what you can afford because in the end the bullet will make the biggest difference in your accuracy.


You can't exactly base a guns performance off of "my buddy has one." That's one gun out of many.


I was just trying to make a point because im sick of the @****** on this chat that just want to rip on someones stuff instead of just replying to the questions. The monitors on this chat site need to get rid of or block the crap bags that do stuff like that. Well than if i cant base performance off a good personal experience than you or anyone else cant call it bad over one bad personal experience.


Fact is, jackwagon, that two of the people (that I know of) that have replied negatively on this gun aren't reporting on it from one of their buddies' guns, they are the people who sell these (Gander and Dicks if I'm not mistaken, chime in if I missed you), literally by the hundreds, so they know a few things. I'll be the third person who has worked a gun counter (MC Sports and Bass Pro) and sold a couple hundred of these to tell you the gun is garbage. Yes, the gun will shoot fairly accurate, but I would put my years paycheck on the table to say that you wouldn't be able to find a current factory production centerfire rifle that couldn't shoot your coveted 3" group at 200 yards. Almost all factory guns these days are accurate, most of them will shoot MOA or better right out of the box, with factory ammo. Find a brand they like or reload for them and you might find one that is capable of half-MOA. So clearly we aren't basing our judgement of this rifle upon accuracy, because it is clearly capable of it. The problems this gun has had are too numerous to mention. If you absolutely MUST buy a cheap rifle, I would say the Axis is the cheapest rifle I would buy, and even that is pushing it. You can get several damn nice rifle/scope set-ups for under $500, you just have to ask the guys at the gun counter. Do me a favor, go to all the local sporting goods stores in the area, and ask every gun counter guy you can find if he would recommend the 770 to you. I'd bet more than 90% of them say no, and any one of them who doesn't, I wouldn't buy a gun from them anyway.
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: remington 770

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:06 pm

sws002 wrote:
Fact is, jackwagon, that two of the people (that I know of) that have replied negatively on this gun aren't reporting on it from one of their buddies' guns, they are the people who sell these (Gander and Dicks if I'm not mistaken, chime in if I missed you), literally by the hundreds, so they know a few things. I'll be the third person who has worked a gun counter (MC Sports and Bass Pro) and sold a couple hundred of these to tell you the gun is garbage. Yes, the gun will shoot fairly accurate, but I would put my years paycheck on the table to say that you wouldn't be able to find a current factory production centerfire rifle that couldn't shoot your coveted 3" group at 200 yards. Almost all factory guns these days are accurate, most of them will shoot MOA or better right out of the box, with factory ammo. Find a brand they like or reload for them and you might find one that is capable of half-MOA. So clearly we aren't basing our judgement of this rifle upon accuracy, because it is clearly capable of it. The problems this gun has had are too numerous to mention. If you absolutely MUST buy a cheap rifle, I would say the Axis is the cheapest rifle I would buy, and even that is pushing it. You can get several damn nice rifle/scope set-ups for under $500, you just have to ask the guys at the gun counter. Do me a favor, go to all the local sporting goods stores in the area, and ask every gun counter guy you can find if he would recommend the 770 to you. I'd bet more than 90% of them say no, and any one of them who doesn't, I wouldn't buy a gun from them anyway.


This.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
User avatar
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder
 
Posts: 3637
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:56 pm
Location: Wishing I was near the magical place of sugar

Re: remington 770

Postby #1jumpshooter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 pm

reply to: sws002


well thank you for proving my point about the guys like you on this chat that bash other peoples guns. Obviously the guy already bought it and just wants advice on buying glass for it. he didn't ask" hey guys tell me my gun sucks". Im pretty sure selling a gun doesnt give you crap for experience in shooting them i have put over a box of ammo through my buddies gun and that counts for way more than asking people whether i want to pay with credit or debit. So if you dont have a helpful opinion on the QUESTION, then don't post a reply. But if it helps you sleep at night making this guy feel bad about his purchase then just keep acting this way.
#1jumpshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 pm
Location: Marshall, MI

Re: remington 770

Postby sws002 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:56 pm

#1jumpshooter wrote:reply to: sws002


well thank you for proving my point about the guys like you on this chat that bash other peoples guns. Obviously the guy already bought it and just wants advice on buying glass for it. he didn't ask" hey guys tell me my gun sucks". Im pretty sure selling a gun doesnt give you crap for experience in shooting them i have put over a box of ammo through my buddies gun and that counts for way more than asking people whether i want to pay with credit or debit. So if you dont have a helpful opinion on the QUESTION, then don't post a reply. But if it helps you sleep at night making this guy feel bad about his purchase then just keep acting this way.


Actually, the guys question was whether it was worth the money to put good glass on it. That being said, it is never a bad idea to have better glass, but if he is thinking about spending $300 on a Barska (garbage btw), he should just think about throwing another $150-200 and getting a whole entire set-up. Congratulations on putting OVER a box of ammo through your buddies gun. For some reason, I have a feeling I know you, as I do quite a bit of hunting around Marshall, what's your name kid?
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: remington 770

Postby #1jumpshooter » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:26 am

sws002 wrote:
#1jumpshooter wrote:reply to: sws002


well thank you for proving my point about the guys like you on this chat that bash other peoples guns. Obviously the guy already bought it and just wants advice on buying glass for it. he didn't ask" hey guys tell me my gun sucks". Im pretty sure selling a gun doesnt give you crap for experience in shooting them i have put over a box of ammo through my buddies gun and that counts for way more than asking people whether i want to pay with credit or debit. So if you dont have a helpful opinion on the QUESTION, then don't post a reply. But if it helps you sleep at night making this guy feel bad about his purchase then just keep acting this way.


Actually, the guys question was whether it was worth the money to put good glass on it. That being said, it is never a bad idea to have better glass, but if he is thinking about spending $300 on a Barska (garbage btw), he should just think about throwing another $150-200 and getting a whole entire set-up. Congratulations on putting OVER a box of ammo through your buddies gun. For some reason, I have a feeling I know you, as I do quite a bit of hunting around Marshall, what's your name kid?


Don't worry about who I am because I don't care who you are.
#1jumpshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:22 pm
Location: Marshall, MI

Re: remington 770

Postby Joe K » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 pm

Yes, replace the scope, you won't be dissatisfied. For me, I had to keep my eye so close to the lens to see that I got telescope eye on every shot. I replaced the scope with a Tasco varminter and the rifle is now a joy to shoot. I've put over 500 rounds through it already and can shoot consistent silver dollars at 200 yards. At 300 she opens up just a tad, to about 4 inches.

As to other complaints about the 770, I overcame the feeding and bolt issues by only using round nose bullets in the magazine. Pointed bullets get pile driven into the barrel base and get deformed tips. Round nose are still ok, I shoot 150 grain SP and shoot to 200 yards with only 2 inches overall elevation changes. In other words, it's very flat. As to overcoming bolt issues, I found that oversizeing the cases will cause the bolt to not close properly (head spacing). So if you reload, size a couple cases and test them in the rifle. Adjust accordingly.

That's all I have. Hope this helps.
Joe K
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:07 pm


Return to Rifle and Handgun forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest