trigger adjustment

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

trigger adjustment

Postby vacuum6 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:51 am

I am considering lightening up the trigger tension on a few of my rifles. I would be interested in hearing some feedback from anyone that has some experience with it. I have a couple remington 7600's. one is a .243, the other a 30-06. way too much trigger tension....my guess (using a fishing scale) is that the pull tension is near 8 lbs. I have ordered a softer spring for the trigger assembly but have yet to install it. pretty simple install from the looks of it. I think the spring was about $17-$18. A little high priced for one little spring !! I also see on gunbroker that someone is advertising a rework for these triggers for $30. the guy will set the tension to whatever you tell him. Anyone have any experience here? I am thinking that I would not have to hold my breath soo long at the range waiting for the gun to go off. I hear a 3 to 3.5 lb pull is much more acceptible for a hunting gun trigger. I was in the gun shop yesterday...they had a savage trigger assembly on display that was completely adjustable...very nice deal. you could easily adjust that from a hair trigger to what ever. I don't have a savage but I sure liked that set up. I also have a browning BAR in .243 . the trigger tension on that gun is totally absurd. I will be selling that gun for that reason....and the fact that it weighs 9 lbs 12 ounces. Back to the remingtons.....any thoughts?
vacuum6
hunter

Re: trigger adjustment

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:34 am

vacuum6 wrote:I am considering lightening up the trigger tension on a few of my rifles. I would be interested in hearing some feedback from anyone that has some experience with it. I have a couple remington 7600's. one is a .243, the other a 30-06. way too much trigger tension....my guess (using a fishing scale) is that the pull tension is near 8 lbs. I have ordered a softer spring for the trigger assembly but have yet to install it. pretty simple install from the looks of it. I think the spring was about $17-$18. A little high priced for one little spring !! I also see on gunbroker that someone is advertising a rework for these triggers for $30. the guy will set the tension to whatever you tell him. Anyone have any experience here? I am thinking that I would not have to hold my breath soo long at the range waiting for the gun to go off. I hear a 3 to 3.5 lb pull is much more acceptible for a hunting gun trigger. I was in the gun shop yesterday...they had a savage trigger assembly on display that was completely adjustable...very nice deal. you could easily adjust that from a hair trigger to what ever. I don't have a savage but I sure liked that set up. I also have a browning BAR in .243 . the trigger tension on that gun is totally absurd. I will be selling that gun for that reason....and the fact that it weighs 9 lbs 12 ounces. Back to the remingtons.....any thoughts?

If I'm not mistaken the 7600 triggers are the same as the 7400 triggers, which are basically shotgun triggers. I had a 742 and the pull was terrible, like you said in the 8lb range. I bought the lighter spring and it lessened it to about 3 lbs which was ok. There's not much that can be done with them in terms of eliminating all the creep. I would install the spring and shoot it and see how you feel about it before sending it somewhere. I ended up selling my 742, even with a lighter trigger pull and handloads it would shoot groups the size of a basketball.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:25 am

Buy a savage and get the accu trigger :biggrin:
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby apexhunter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:02 pm

I agree with ajmorell that with that style of trigger there is simply not much that can be done to turn it into a "rifle trigger". Timney makes an 870 "trigger fix" kit that might possibly work in the 7600 but I'd check with Timney and Remington.

Do be cautious about going too light with the spring setting as the sear may break if the gun is bumped. I'd adjust it, reassemble and cock the (UNLOADED) gun and bump the stock on the ground and see if it clicks....if it does you need to increase the tension, if it doesn't you are good. However being a shotgun style trigger there is going to be some takeup and creep.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum