Offered Free Rifle need suggestions!

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Offered Free Rifle need suggestions!

Postby c14smalls » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:14 pm

My dad and I own a machine shop. A company we do a lot of work for just ordered 8 Million bucks worth of machinery from the company we get most of ours from, telling them my dad really speaks highly of them. The owner of the machine supply company called and offered too buy my dad any rifle he would like, as long as it is reasonable of course :biggrin: . He is looking to get a new deer rifle chambered in either .270 WSM or .300 WSM. I suggested a Sako model 85 with a laminate stock and stainless action/barrel. Throw out some suggestions, whatever you would like to get if you were offered this same deal.
c14smalls
hunter

Re: Offered Free Rifle need suggestions!

Postby garret schukis » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:23 pm

anything savage :smile:
2011-2012
114 ducks
68 geese
3 bands
1 collar
garret schukis
hunter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Savage Weather Warrior series. Accu stock and Accu trigger. Black synthetic stock with stainless barrel and receiver. I've got one and absolutely love it. It comes in the 2 calibers you listed and a ton more.

Beretta makes a dang good rifle too.

And I would love to have a Nosler Custom rifle. Pretty pricey though..
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby ajmorell » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:45 am

Kimber Montana, Weatherby Vanguard or Mark V, Winchester Model 70, Browning X-Bolt. If someone was buying me a rifle for free it sure as hell wouldn't be a Savage. They might be shooters but IMO they are budget guns. My X-Bolt will shoot as good or better than the Savage's all day and looks a hell of a lot better to boot.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:12 am

Ditto on the Kimber or X-Bolt! The quandry really depends upon the machine shop owner's definition of "reasonable". To me an $8million dollar order would justify asking for something like the Montana but if he balks I'd get the X-Bolt at the very least (stainless stalker would be my preference) but the owner may be thinking something like a Rem 700 or a Savage price point.

The Montana is a helluva shooter and is the lightest production rifle available. My brother has 2 (.308 Win and a 25-06) and they are both half MOA or better pieces with factory fodder (I'm working up a variety of reloads to see what they REALLY like as I'm certain we can shrink those groups to around 1/4 MOA). My X-Bolt is also a half MOA or better gun but is just a bit heavier than the Montana.

Another question is whether the guy considers his offer to include optics. Here is where you can blow the bank or go mid stream. If he intends to offer a rifle and scope I'd go with Leupold at a minimum. If the "reasonable" part means a couple grand or more for the package I'd step up to a Swarovski.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:19 am

ajmorell wrote:Kimber Montana, Weatherby Vanguard or Mark V, Winchester Model 70, Browning X-Bolt. If someone was buying me a rifle for free it sure as hell wouldn't be a Savage. They might be shooters but IMO they are budget guns. My X-Bolt will shoot as good or better than the Savage's all day and looks a hell of a lot better to boot.

The Model 70 classic is twice the rifle your Browning will ever grow up to be. That is my personal opinion. They are the riflemans rifle, and always will be. Can you say control feed claw extractor?

More importantly for me, why on earth does he want that WSM cartridge? To each his own, we all have opinions and I wouldnt want a WSM, even for free.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ajmorell » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:24 am

TomKat wrote:
ajmorell wrote:Kimber Montana, Weatherby Vanguard or Mark V, Winchester Model 70, Browning X-Bolt. If someone was buying me a rifle for free it sure as hell wouldn't be a Savage. They might be shooters but IMO they are budget guns. My X-Bolt will shoot as good or better than the Savage's all day and looks a hell of a lot better to boot.

The Model 70 classic is twice the rifle your Browning will ever grow up to be. That is my personal opinion. They are the riflemans rifle, and always will be. Can you say control feed claw extractor?

More importantly for me, why on earth does he want that WSM cartridge? To each his own, we all have opinions and I wouldnt want a WSM, even for free.

A pre-64 Model 70 maybe, but I wouldn't say the current model 70 is that much better than an X-Bolt. Agree 100% on the WSM comment, but to each their own. It's not a terrible chambering but it's a bit limited in what it can do, not to mention it costs a fortune to shoot.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby TomKat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:19 pm

I have a pre 64 and the new one. Want to know what the diffrence is?

The machine work on the new one IS BETTER than the original. And that is saying something...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby c14smalls » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Thanks for the replies he is having trouble deciding now with the new ideas you all have thrown out. We hadn't even thought about Kimber, now there is another one to throw in the pile.

Optics are not included but since he is getting the rifle for free he doesn't mind dropping some cash on a quality scope.
c14smalls
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Look very closely at the Classic Model 70, they are very well made, too.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ajmorell » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:00 pm

TomKat wrote:Look very closely at the Classic Model 70, they are very well made, too.

Not that I am not happy with my X-Bolt, but I wish I had given a better look at the M70 FW. I was eyeing a M70FW on gunbroker today in 25-06 and it was only $100 or so more than I paid for my 30-06 X-Bolt
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

I've owned a M70 and an X-bolt and the Browning is more accurate than the Winchester ever was...granted some rifles just shoot better than others of like model/caliber. To each his own with the brand/model of rifle they prefer.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby c14smalls » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:45 am

He called earlier today and told the guy he wanted a 270 WSM Sako model 85 Hunter stainless and if that didn't work out then get a Winchester Model 70 in stainless. Both with wood stocks. Thanks for the input and I will post up some pics once he gets it in, which ever it is. It was a tough decision but he really liked the look and feel of the Sako. :thumbsup:
c14smalls
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:56 am

Nothing wrong with the Sako, they make a hell of a gun.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:55 pm

It will be his favorite rifle for 2 reasons...it shoots well and it's FREE!
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:55 am

apexhunter wrote:I've owned a M70 and an X-bolt and the Browning is more accurate than the Winchester ever was...granted some rifles just shoot better than others of like model/caliber. To each his own with the brand/model of rifle they prefer.

My cousin did a little fiddling with his M70 and now it shoots lights out...and we all agreeded that Savage was the shooter, but someone didnt like the looks of them....
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:25 am

Just curious...How many deer have just keeled over when they looked at your guns.......................................... :lol3:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:28 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:

Just curious...How many deer have just keeled over when they looked at your better looking guns.......................................... :lol3:

I've noted than many guys don't want to go where the game is for fear of scratching their pretty guns.

sorry for the minor hijack.................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:05 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:

Just curious...How many deer have just keeled over when they looked at your guns.......................................... :lol3:

None, it's just a personal preference. I know exactly what your saying though. I wasn't dogging Savage. They are ugly (IMO) but damn do they shoot!
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Y'all are correct that a good shooting rifle doesn't have to look pretty. I've seen some damned awesome groups thrown from well worn, half rusty with little to no finish left on the stock rifles...and I've seen some absolutely beautiful rifles available that couldn't keep a group inside a dollar bill. It all depends upon the particulars of the gun AND the ammo it prefers.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:11 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:

Just curious...How many deer have just keeled over when they looked at your better looking guns.......................................... :lol3:

I've noted than many guys don't want to go where the game is for fear of scratching their pretty guns.

sorry for the minor hijack.................

I am not one of them! My guns are tools, and when I am dead it wont matter one bit how many scratches they have.

Here I am in Canada with my pre 64 Model 70. It climbed a tree and stayed out in the rain with me for 7 days before dropping this cinnamon bear DRT.

TomKat
Dorothy

Postby c14smalls » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Well they couldn't get the Sako 85 he wanted, they even contacted Sako but to no avail. They are looking at getting him a Browning X-Bolt White Gold in 270 WSM. After doing some more looking my dad decided he liked that more than the Winchester Model 70. So we will see, he should be getting the rifle next week sometime.

I will be buying myself a Remington model 7600 in .308 also, any opinions on that rifle?

I am enjoying all the conversation on every ones opinions. Nice bear TomKat I will get me one someday.
c14smalls
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks. It took me 27 years to acomplish that dream...

I am not a remington (or .308) fan. I dont think it will matter, so I won't bore you with the story.

To each their own. I bet that Browning will do a good job.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:35 pm

c14smalls wrote:Well they couldn't get the Sako 85 he wanted, they even contacted Sako but to no avail. They are looking at getting him a Browning X-Bolt White Gold in 270 WSM. After doing some more looking my dad decided he liked that more than the Winchester Model 70. So we will see, he should be getting the rifle next week sometime.

I will be buying myself a Remington model 7600 in .308 also, any opinions on that rifle?

I am enjoying all the conversation on every ones opinions. Nice bear TomKat I will get me one someday.

He will love the X-Bolt, and the Medallion's are real nice looking too. As for the 7600, I'm not a fan. Any particular reason you want a pump action rifle?
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby c14smalls » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 pm

The only reason I am looking at the 7600 is my grand dad had a 760 growing up and loved it. I am waiting to see/shoot my dads x-bolt before I decide on my next rifle :wink:
c14smalls
hunter

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum