Buying 9mm

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Buying 9mm

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:54 pm

Well i decided i wanted to go with a 9mm . mostly because of the cheap price and its a pretty popular gun. im not really sure with what kind to go with i was looking at the highpoints. the model C-9.

http://www.mkssupply.com/handgun_details.asp?Gun=9mm

I would like to buy 2 guns for me and one for my son. im interested in a smaller lighter gun. and for a pretty cheap price. probably less than 250.00. anyone have expierence with the highpoint? or anyother guns for a good price. let me know thanks.

any cheap 45's would be good too.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:05 pm

i havent shot one before, but at the last gunshow i handled a few to see what they were like... and in all honesty they feel like a toy that wouldnt take the abuse of a lot of shooting... they are so darn cheap because they are made of cheap materials... however i do believe that they have a lifetime warrenty on them so when they do break you could just send it in for a new one... so if you are going to do a lot of shooting, i would go with something a little more solid... however if you are just going to use them for plinking every now and then i would say go for it and tell us how they do... at around 100 bucks can you really go wrong :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby WI_Trapper » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:14 pm

If I was going to get a 9mm (or any other S-auto) I would go with a Glock, not much to look at, but one tough tool. Glock 21 would be at the top of the list in my book.

:salude:
"I'm Not A Hippie, Just a Well-Groomed Mountain Man"
WI_Trapper
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:56 pm

How much does a Glock 21 cost? im trying to spend as little money as possible.
Arise...Kill.. and eat

Marshwalker
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:37 pm

im thinking around 500 or so... i dont quite remember, but when i bought my ruger i think i priced just about every pistol there was and nothing except the hi-points were under 300...

and the 21 is a .45 isnt it?
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:10 pm

yeah , im looking at either a 45 or a 9mm. just a cheap gun.

the only problem with the hi points is they are hard to find because they arent that great of a gun. the only places that carries them are pawn shops.
Arise...Kill.. and eat

Marshwalker
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:35 pm

you have any gun shows coming up? i found that's a pretty good place to look for things like that... other than that you can try an online store if you know for sure what you want... however if you are going that route its always nice to be friends with someone with a ffl... that way you dont get charged extra for that too...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:38 pm

also have you checked out the taurus' yet? they run around 300-350 or so... http://www.huntersdirect.com/taurus-firearms.php...
the 24/7 feels pretty sweet
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:34 pm

Well i decided to go with the hi point but i cant decide over the C-9 or 380.ACP , the c-9 is 9x19 and the 380 ACP is 9x17. there isnt much difference. which one do yall recommend. this is just going to be used for a home saftey.
Arise...Kill.. and eat

Marshwalker
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:41 am

the .380 is a lighter bullet than the 9mm. I would look at used guns anyway. I bought a ruger 9mm at a reputable gun shop and I doubt it had a whole clip run through it just because it belonged to a parole officer. Like auto mobiles if your going to own several shop for them and you may find you can find some pretty good deals on 9mm handguns for under $300 that are quality handguns. Here in town we have a gun shop that also deals with the local police departments and they handle police trade ins. Most of the handguns I have looked at have been used on a range for qualification and little else so they are like new....and I can tell you this that law enforcement people keep thier sidearms in great shape. My advice to anyone looking for any new firearm is never buy a shotgun during bird season, never buy a big game rifle during deer and elk season, and when it comes to handguns take your time and shop because the deal that fits your pocket book is out there and for a firearm that will rarely see 1000 rounds a year you will be better off.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:43 am

I know you said 9mm, but have you thought about .38? I picked up 2 used smith .38's for $175 each from a local gun shop that I deal with. They are old police guns. Generally speaking police guns are usually a little worn but mechanically they are good. The police armor keeps everyone guns working properly.

I will give you my opinion also. Personally, I would never buy a low quality gun. There is too much that could go wrong. And I don't think I could live with my self if I gave the gun to my son and something happened. Ruger is not the coolest looking gun in the world but it is a great gun. You should be able to find a used glock for $300 to $350 and new ones run from $425 to $550.

I guess it doesn't really matter what you get. But get a gun that is going to best fit your need. If you dont plan to shot but a couple times a year then go with a cheaper one (not what I recommend) but if you are going to shoot alot get something that is better quality.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:45 am

Have you checked out gunsamerica? I have bought several guns off of there with great luck. Go talk to a few local gun shops and most of the time they will give you a great price if you are buying two
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:45 am

If its not to late no offense but i think that high point looks pretty bad. Althouh its 45 ACP this is a nice gun. Just go to this site and the opening video is about it. I believe it passed the Glock Test but with more rounds fired. :eek:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/index.shtml
http://www.kahr.com/pistols_9mm.html

The Kahr is one of my favorites.

IF YOU WANT A CHEAPER GUN!! Check out kel tecs firearms.

www.kel-tec.com
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum