Stoeger Condor???????????

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Stoeger Condor???????????

Postby iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Is the Stoeger Condor any good? I have been thinking about picking up one to bird hunt with. If you have or have had one give me some info and maybe some recomendations for a good o/u shotgun for under $500. Ive also been considering the Savage goldwing. Advice on either would be nice!
Thanks,
iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR :hammer:
Last edited by iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR on Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR
hunter

Re: Stoeger Condor???????????

Postby TomKat » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:43 am

The key word in your post is GOOD.

That would not be the Condor. The one I had was a POS.

Why not save a little more and get a Browning Citori?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:20 pm

TomKat wrote:The key word in your post is GOOD.

A LITTLE MORE!?!? A CITORI IS $3000
iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR
hunter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:20 pm

I've got 2 condors, a 20ga and a 12ga. I love mine. Never had a problem with either of them. The thing I've noticed with Stoegers, is they are hit and miss on quality. Might get a good one, might get a bad one. I happen to get good ones.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby luie b » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:03 pm

iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR wrote:Is the Stoeger Condor any good? I have been thinking about picking up one to bird hunt with. If you have or have had one give me some info and maybe some recomendations for a good o/u shotgun for under $500.
Thanks,
iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR :hammer:

I was in your same position last spring because I wanted an over and under for under $400 to use reloads in and bird hunt and such. I didn't find anything used so bought a Stoeger Condor. I have had minor problems with it the whole time I've had it.

1) it doesn't like certain brands of shells, like federals because it occasionally misfires with them
2) the bead that comes with it (only a single bead) shoots low so you have to show a lot of barrel to have it shoot level
3) the trigger is crap, way, way too soft for a shotgun trigger and has a lot of creep
4) if you plan on ever shooting a 3" shell in it, you have to wiggle the gun a little every time you load it because they engineered it wrong to not open up enough to have the rim of the shell slide in without bumping the receiver
5) the recoil pad is made of some uncured rubber or something and is slowly eroding away, it's just not that smooth rubber like most guns have that shoulders quickly without catching your jacket or shirt

I know that looks like a long list but I really think you needed to see it. I'm getting rid of this gun soon to buy something of better quality. But if you want an over and under really bad I guess you can get it but you'll slowly realize how low of quality that thing is. Just my 2 cents
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Postby luie b » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:05 pm

TomKat wrote:The key word in your post is GOOD.

At all gun auctions around here a slightly used citori goes for 900-$1000 just for a used one! You could maybe find a beat up one(that could be hard to find) for like 600-$700.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:24 pm

You might post this in the Shotgun Forum where you'll probably receive more responses/information.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:30 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I've got 2 condors, a 20ga and a 12ga. I love mine. Never had a problem with either of them. The thing I've noticed with Stoegers, is they are hit and miss on quality. Might get a good one, might get a bad one. I happen to get good ones.

Thanks, thats alot of help :umm: Marlin is the same way, i have the special edition .22 they made last year, and it was the best built gun i own, but last week my dad bought a .308 lever action(the $800 1) and it was junk. There was prob. 15 things wrong with it so now we have a Kimber Classic.
iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR
hunter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:49 pm

iNsAnE_DUCK_sLaYeR wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I've got 2 condors, a 20ga and a 12ga. I love mine. Never had a problem with either of them. The thing I've noticed with Stoegers, is they are hit and miss on quality. Might get a good one, might get a bad one. I happen to get good ones.

Thanks, thats alot of help :umm: Marlin is the same way, i have the special edition .22 they made last year, and it was the best built gun i own, but last week my dad bought a .308 lever action(the $800 1) and it was junk. There was prob. 15 things wrong with it so now we have a Kimber Classic.

Hey it was just my opinion. Good luck finding an O/U for under 500 bucks. Next step up would be a savage/stevens 512 goldwing for around 6-700 new. Even though they are made in turkey, they are still good guns. Haven't seen or heard anything bad about them at all. Honestly though, when it comes to O/U's, drop the money and get a good one. I always follow the old saying, you buy cheap, you get cheap. I know I just contradicted myself because I said I've got 2 condors, but they were gifts from my father. I happen to really like mine. I also have a Stoeger uplander SxS in 12ga. And guess what, I love that gun too. And to top it all off, I happen to work firearms retail so I have dealt with these particular firearms 5 to 6 days out of the week. Only had 1 stoeger come back and that was a fault from the factory and benelli handled it very well. Just my .02. :thumbsup:
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby chinogoose » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:12 am

+1 Never had a problem with any of mine. They are not my duck gun i just use them for quail, dove and pheasants and they work great for that. Good luck in your hunt for an O/U :beer:
Attachments
Picture 313.jpg
chinogoose
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:06 am

like was said, its hit and miss. i got way lucky. my condor is the cheapest 20ga they make. guess what.............i have had NO PROBLEMS!! its killed plenty of doves and pheasants, shoulders (for me) like a breeze, and shoots straight as i can.
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby PiKappCutter » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Check out the Yildiz brand. They sell them at Acadmey sports.
PiKappCutter
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:30 pm

i have had good luck with Tristar check out there website they have a lot of good looking shotguns.... but the website is misleading because they sell much cheaper then there listed msrp
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:38 am

I used to have a 20 and a 12. One of them had trouble with one of the firing pins not hitting hard enough and then after about a year of shooting the actions were looser than they should have been. Needless to say i got rid of both of them. They aren't very well built either IMO. For guaranteed quality in an o/u you have to spend the money and the gun will last you forever. I haven't had any problems with my Citori, my two Veronas or my Franchi. My citori has 10's of thousands of rounds through it and i just recently sent it to browngign to have the action rebuilt and now its good as new.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:05 pm

While you can occasionally find a used citori actually getting one for under $1000 can be quite a challenge. The only onse I ever see in that price range are older, fixed choke guns with the "4x4"forestock.
That is one of the things I dont like about the stogers is the thick forestock. I've also noticed that the Stogers and Baikal are not very consistent with the but tstock drop and cast. It seems to vary considerably and one has to try many guns before finding one that fits decent. I have a Tristar (20 ga) which has been a pretty good gun so far except it doesn't fit me quite right and I bought my som a Savage/Stevens which so far has been a pretty decent gun.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum