Duck Hunting Forum banner

.17 hmr or .17 mach II

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  choclab 
#1 ·
ok this may sound kind of stupid, but is there a big difference in ballistics between the two rounds... in the back of my mind im thinking i may need one for plinking around rather than a .22 .... however, because noone i know has either, i know next to nothing... so if you guys could steer me in the right directin that would be just swell... thanks

#3 ·
A HMR with a 17gr bullet, they say, does 2550fps. A Mach2 with the same bullet does 2010fps. Don't know anything else about them, sorry.

#4 ·
The .17 mach 2 is slower and the bullet drops faster. Here is a link to a site where a guy tested the .17, he prefers the .17 to the .17 mach 2. I have a .17 all decked out and I LOVE IT. It is a tack driver. Get the .17....you will not be disapointed. Here are a few pics of mine. The gun was 200, the scope 100, and the bipod was 45. Here is the link also
http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

[siteimg]1569[/siteimg]
[siteimg]1568[/siteimg]
[siteimg]1566[/siteimg]
[siteimg]1565[/siteimg]

#7 ·
i went and looked this weekend, and i really thought about buying one... but at the same time i think im going to be moving here pretty soon so i need to save up my money... so its a really hard call at the moment... i might have to make myself hold off for another few months :thumbsdown: ... and ive really been itchin' to buy myself a new gun too...

#9 ·
I do allot of rimfire shooting, strictly IMO, the .17 is more accurate than the WMR because it gets to the target faster, therefore less time for the shot to be disrupted, like wind and so on. The 17HMR is good over the WMR where noise is of concern, it has a very light report, however, the tiny .17gr rounds don't perform as well as the WMR. Ive seen it recomended time and again that it's suitable to game smaller than a jack rabbit, but I've taken a coyote with mine...shot placement is critical, in this case I was able to put the round in the "yotes ear at 125yds, I wouldn't bother trying a broadside on one. I think the 17's popularity just caught on from the accuracy aspect, as well as being a neat little round. As for the Mach II, fast, but thats it, it didn't really catch like the 17HMR. Sure they're nifty for plinking, but no more enjoyable than the plain vanilla .22lr, nor any real advantage. I personally can't say that I have an advantage with the .17HMR over the WMR, funt to plink with, but theres super accurate WMR's out there along with the 17HMR's, my machII is fun also, but again, no real advantage over the .22lr. I have several firearms chambered for the rounds discussed in my post, so just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.