Berger VLD Hunting bullet feedback

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Berger VLD Hunting bullet feedback

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Just curious if anybody has much or any experience with the Berger VLD Hunting projectiles on whitetail size animals. Having shot Nosler Ballistic tips and/or Hornady Interlock bullets in hunting loads for years I'm taking a serious look at the Bergers for no other reason than their target projectiles are damned consistent and accurate. Supposedly the accuracy of the match bullet carries over to the hunting version and I really like the idea that all of the bullet's energy is released inside the animal. I realize the passthrough idea creates a gaping, bleeding wound channel but does so at a sacrifice of the off shoulder meat. With the bullet dumping everything within the chest cavity more internal damage is done with less meat loss.

Has anybody shot game animals with this bullet? If you have what is your opinion on the performance in comparison to a standard or less "frangible" type of projectile?
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Re: Berger VLD Hunting bullet feedback

Postby ajmorell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:22 pm

No, but I'll be curious to see what you find. I have been shooting 30 cal 165 grain Speer SPBT's and they are really consistent. I sorted them by weight at one point and was only seeing +/- 0.1 grain differences. I know they say don't mess with a good thing but I am curious about the Berger's
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Now that deer season is almost over (Jan 1) I'll probably have to wait until next year to see for myself. But I have talked to a couple guys that do a lot of long range target shooting and they swear that Bergers are more accurate and consistent than most other brands of "match" bullets.

My brother and a friend in our hunting club use them in their 25-06 rifles but I'm looking to try them in my .308 (168gr bullets).
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:00 am

I did not know that this company made a "Hunting style" bullet ?

I thought they were all thin skined copper jacket bullets made just for target use, that blow up on contact.

What type of bullet construction and design does that bullet have?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:27 am

The VLD Hunting bullet has basically the same long sharp nose as their match bullet but is designed ot penetrate a bit before expanding and sheding 40% or more of it's weight while the core continues to penetrate to and through the vitals. Their theory is to have a match grade projectile for accuracy that has sufficient penetration to get the job done on the vitals while also providing tremendous shock to disturb/destroy surrounding tissue as the bullet dumps all of its energy within the animal.

Like I said their bullets are down right accurate and I know a couple guys that hve started hunting with them but was just curious if anybody had any real feedback from using them on deer.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby foldinducks » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:16 am

were not long range hunters in pennsylvania, but at 80 yards, it dumps 130lb deer dead.i would say it caused a cavity disruption the size of a canteloupe.evrything inside looked like jelly.lotsa damage, lotsa shrapnel.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:24 am

That's what I wanted to hear. Most of my deer are shot at 150-200yds or less as well but I just like the theory of tissue disruption/destruction versus pass through wound channels.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby PinTeal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:30 pm

I've only killed one animal with them. I shoot 210g 308 out of a 300RUM at about 2900fps. at 125 yards it was DRT (Dead right there) like you cut it's legs off from underneath it. After skinning it out, I could stick my fist thrugh the ribs). I am a believer and this is all I will shoot. My buddy has shot deer and pigs with the same results. On one of his latest hunts he shot a deer with Barnes all copper bullets and it never expanded at all, the deer ran off without a blood trail for I think 50 yards before he started seeing blood. It was a well placed shot, just terrible bullets. I subscribe to their theory of dumping all of that energy into the animals cavity rather than punching right on through it. I'm not just saying this because I am a vendor for them, I sell other bullets as well...but for the long range abilities (and short range), at the price, that's all I shoot now.

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:44 am

Perfect! THAT is exactly what I wanted to hear about the bullet's effacacy. While other projectiles have worked for me over the years it is good to know there is finally one that is very accurate and dumps virtually 100% of its energy inside the vitals because I'm tired of tracking well hit deer into the swamp and find out the bullet ruined half of the off shoulder meat.

Thanks for the feedback and I'm sending a PM about availability from yoru other post.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:59 pm

I try to run berger vld's in all my guns. I prefer a thin jacket bullet. I don't want a bullet to exit, I want all of the energy to be absorbed by the animal. Any bullet that exits is wasted energy. One argument I've often heard is that thin skinned jackets blow up too shallow when shot at close range. I shot a white tail with my 300Win Mag at 100 yards with a 210gr VLD. The bullet didn't exit, but the shock wave created by the bullet broke through two ribs on the exit side and knocked a hole in the rib cage. The only problem you may have with VLD's is that they like to be seated into the lands of your barrel. Most factory rifles have a very long throat making this near impossible. Berger does make length tolerant bullets as well as hunting bullets.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum