300 mag overkill?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

300 mag overkill?

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:52 pm

i was wondering if a 300 mag is an overkill on elk and deer i have a buddy who wants to sell me a 300 mag for 500 bucks i believe remington and he has about 1100 dollars invested into this gun and he has only fired 50 rounds out of it
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:23 pm

I personally dont think so . i have never done it but a bunch of my buddies do. it seems fine to me. but dont go by what i just say. im not a big rifle hunter.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Nah, the 300 mag is a pretty good round. I shoot a 300 short mag, and it gives the deer a butt whuppin
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:02 pm

What kind of Remington... Bolt Action? How new is it? I would make sure the gun is accurate and all that.... I dont really think there is over kill in reasonable cartridges... as long as your not shooting a 460 WBY mag at it its not going to do any damage... except to your shoulder. Thats the only thing I would caution you on is that a 300 is going to have a pretty good kick to it. Studies show it has more kick than most shooters are TRULY comfortable with. If you cant handle big recoil dont get it because youll possibly develope a flinch when you pull the trigger... causing a lot of missed deer. Good luck!! Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:55 pm

KpHonknImRloadn wrote:Nah, the 300 mag is a pretty good round. I shoot a 300 short mag, and it gives the deer a butt whuppin

A butt whoppin wouldn't that be considered overkill, IMO the 300 is overkill for deer but not elk, my stepfather has a 300 win mag and has kill many deer with it but has also wasted a lot of meat due to bloodshot meat or just blowing the shoulder right off, not literaly but diffentally overkill. And cracker is right about the kick, my stepfather is 250 plus 6ft 3 and shout and only shots his about 3 or four times just to make sure it sighted in before the season and if he does have to shoot more than that he uses a sissy pad. So with that being said for a young 13 year old don't get a 300, plus if you end up getting it and find out for yourself that it kick the crap out of you, you can end up flintchin everytime you decided to pull the trigger. Just my 2cts
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby blindretrieve » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:06 pm

last year I bought a 300 mag....needless to say I sold every other rifle i own. I love the gun. No more trailing a deer even if it was a bad shot. Example - the first deer I shot with mine I hit at 200 yrds in the ham...thats right in the ham! And it still fell on the spot dead!! Guys make sure when u buy a new gun the scope bases are tight!!! Lesson learned! But still made the kill. My buddy shoots the 300 ultra mag. and at 500 yrds can hit a milk jug everytime. Neither of these guns are for the wimpy man though, they kick at least twice as hard as a 30- 06 bolt action.
My lab is smarter than your honor student
blindretrieve
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:26 pm

I was thinking about it, and "overkill" is all relative. I mean if you really wanted to think about it, since a deer can be killed with a bow and arrow. A .243 is, considered by some, to be over kill. I mean, I blew a leg off once with my .270. The bullet went behind the first one but the leg on the other side was back a bit and on exiting, the bullet blew it to only an inch of skin was hanging on to it. One thing that I believe is that if you use rifles.... the bigger the better, until you really start messing up meat, and that takes one heck of a rifle. The way I see it is no overkill, but ethical kill. The deer is fast asleep before it could even know something happened to it. A 300 Win Mag shouldnt do an real damage to the meat if you can place the bullet right. If you make sure you miss the legs then you are fine.... But here is some more on Recoil

A 30-06 w/ 150 gr bullet 2910 fps Recoil (ft lbs) 17.6 lbs.
A 300 Win Mag 180 gr bullet 2960 fps Recoil (ft lbs) 25.9 lbs.

This is just a part of what else was on this site....

"It is worth remembering that the majority of authorities agree that recoil of over twenty foot pounds will cause most shooters to develop a serous flinch, which is ruinous to bullet placement (the prime component of killing power). Fifteen foot pounds is probably about the maximum recoil energy most shooters feel reasonably comfortable with, particularly at the shooting range, where most serious marksmanship practice occurs."
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:32 pm

[quote="CrackerJackShot"]A 300 Win Mag shouldnt do an real damage to the meat if you can place the bullet right.[quote]

Shoudn't meaning you don't really know or shouldn't as in won't, cuz i don't care where you place the bullet a 300 mag is gonna damage something.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shocktroop » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:47 pm

I'm on the side of shot placement. That being said, I'd rather have a well placed .243 than a misplaced 300. No roaring magnum can make up for poor shot placement or poor marksmanship, think of it as sky busting, but on deer. The 300 is good on elk, but I'd say overkill on deer. I know plenty of folks that hunt with a .270 for elk, and I myself have hunted deer with a .223 and did well. Shot placement is key. Another important factor is if you can shoot it well. I myself, wear out pretty quick with a 300, can last longer with a limb-saver pad, but thats just me. If the rifle isn't comfortable to shoot, or it punishes you every time you pull the trigger, you'll more than likely develope a flinch wich will result in poor shots. Some folks swear by the 300. Hey, if you can put an animal down clean, than kudos for you, so nothing in my post against any of those guys, but really, the 300 round itself is overkill on deer IMHO.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:08 am

Well one reason that I can say that I would go FOR the 300. Is IF you can handle that recoil and become very handy with that rifle, then youll do fine. As long as you can place that bullet to where you can still get all the meat off of it (which is definatly possible) then great. You know why, cause now you can use your deer rifle for ANY North American game you might want to hunt. Lets say in a couple years you want to go hunt bear or elk or something, your good to go. Also, if your the type, you can add a new kind of challenge to deer hunting if you ever hunt on oat fields by taking the deer long range. But if you are not 100% CERTAIN on your ability dont even CONSIDER taking it.

LARedneck, your right... that bullet from that kind of gun is going to damage WHATEVER it hits.. but placing the bullet right behind the front leg all your going to damage is the heart or the lungs. Which is what you want.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:13 pm

another thing to remember is that a smaller frame is better for recoil because they go with it rather than fight against it... think about it... when most guys shoot they lean into the shot making the recoil worse... cant remember where i read it, but i believe that its correct
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby CrackerJackShot » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:39 pm

Johnson is correct. My dad and his long time hunting buddy went on a goose hunt a long time ago with a guide who was nothing more than a 5'5" 120 lbs. farmer. He was shooting a SxS 10 gauge. My dad asked him how he handles that gun and the farmer said he just flys backwards with it. Same is true for rifles, as long as you stay loose BUT remember to keep the stock tight on your shoulder it will be less FELT recoil.... I will say this, as for me, I cannot shoot as accurately like that. So I would rather take the beating every time and smack my marks every time.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:39 pm

Lets not get off track here, you must remember that a young cat started this post off and we are trying to help him make a decision on if he should get the 300 or not. Trying to tell him to absorb the blow from a mag is promoting bad habits. The guy that ya'll hunted with(CJ) has probably been hunting a long time and has practiced that style of shoting all the time. My stepfather never let me shoot his 300 cuz he new that it would scare the crap out of me and it didn't matter if i shot a 22 or a 300 i would flinch everytime. AND yes i know where to place a bullet for a clean kill and get the most meat out of a deer but once again we are talking with young hunter and I know when i was young and a deer steped out it was all I could do not to fall out of the stand to make a clean kill so that plus knowin who the gun kicks I don't think that you are going to make a perfect shot everytime out and will waste meat and if you do make a perfect shot everytime then i don't want to hunt with you cuz your boring. :mrgreen:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kcduckslayer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:10 pm

go with something like a 308. If all you are going to be doing is shooting deer and elk that should be good to go.
kcduckslayer
hunter

300 mag

Postby BHUNTER » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:23 pm

i dont have anything against a 300 mag its just when i hunt deer i dont take those two hundred yard shots or longer i make shots up to 75 yards with my .223. the magnum is a good gun, kicks like mule, loud, and heavy; you can really reach out and touch someone at 500yrds. if you are seriously consindering elk hunting i would purchase it, that means going more than once a year, if you are deer hunting like me every other week than i would pass and go for a smaller caliber for a little less money.
badges!!! we dont need no stinking badges!!
BHUNTER
hunter

magnum

Postby BHUNTER » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:27 pm

one other point i want to give is; with that magnum people start flinching and closing thier with those big guns because of the recoil. theres only one way to solve this, shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot. build your muscle memory and reflexes and that gun will become your best friend.
badges!!! we dont need no stinking badges!!
BHUNTER
hunter

Postby FEATHERBUSTER » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:43 pm

I SWEAR BY THE .300 I OWN A .300 WIN MAG AND HAVE NEVER HAD ONE LEAVE THE SPOT OF THE SHOT. AS FAR AS THE RECOIL YES IT DOES KICK BUT WITH SOME OF THE AFTERMARKET PRODUCTS YOU CAN GET THE KICK DOWN TO ABOUT THE SAME AS THE 30-06. I PUT ON A BOSS SYSTEM AND A LIMB SAVER RECOIL PAD AND THAT CUT DOWN MOST OF THE RECOIL. I STILL DOES KICK BUT THEN AGAIN I HUNT WITH THIS RIFLE NOT TARGET SHOOT WITH IT. AND I PERSONALLY DON'T NOTICE THE RECOIL WHEN I HAVE A DEER IN THE SCOPE.
FEATHERBUSTER
hunter

Postby Penguine » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Said it once and will say it again, a .308 will kill everything huntable in North America. Everything else is just for the "WOW" factor.
Penguine
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:58 am

Penguine wrote:Said it once and will say it again, a .308 will kill everything huntable in North America. Everything else is just for the "WOW" factor.

yup.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:54 pm

If one wants to be good with a rifle or shotgun one must practice with them. It does not matter what you shoot as far as caliber bullet placement is everything. Me personally, would rather find the toughest bar brawler and pick a fight with him than to sit at a bench with a 300 win mag and practice. But if you got the stamina for a 300 win mag you have my deepest sympathy. I will stick to my pop guns.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:34 am

:withstupid: Which in turn reverts to the main point of this topic, would you recommend this gun to a 13 year old. And is it over kill.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:59 am

I say BUY IT. If it ends up hurting you, then sell it and make profit off of it.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:00 am

No one sells a good gun for 500.00$. So if you buy it and cannot sell it you have something you cannot shoot nor sell. A 13 year old would have a real hard time with a 300 win mag. My suggestion is to start off young shooters with guns that they can handle and shoot well. Again, bullet placement is essential for any rifle to be useful. Rifles are not shotguns and rifles need to be accurate and presice. I taught my daughter to shoot and I started with a .22 and went to a slightly larger then larger rifle when her skills got better. Even then there is a limit to which one can shoot a large rifle and not take a little recoil punishment. Do ya need a 300win mag...No absolutely not...nothing in north america can't be taken with a 30-30 or a 30-06. I have alot of clients who profess to need a magnum rifle and the performance in the field after watching many elk go down indicates its the shooter and not the rifle.
Citori12

Postby kcduckslayer » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:39 pm

arizonaduckhunter13 Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:52 pm Post subject: 300 mag overkill?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i was wondering if a 300 mag is an overkill on elk and deer i have a buddy who wants to sell me a 300 mag for 500 bucks i believe remington and he has about 1100 dollars invested into this gun and he has only fired 50 rounds out of it

Since this is a friend of yours, will he let you shoot it? Here is my opinion. I shoot my guns, I hunt with them and I target shoot with them. To me if a gun beats the sense out of me when I shoot it I dont want it. There is no reason for it other than to say "I have a 300 win mag. Get something that you can sit down and enjoy shooting. Personally I like the 308. Its a very effective caliber, The 30-06 is another great cal.

Remember you have to live with this gun. And from my own experience of buying and selling guns, it is not always easy to to get rid of them.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:02 pm

You can always sell the rifle but remember you will not get what you paid for it. If I have a 1000.00$ invested in a shooting iron I can certainly tell ya this firearm is not leaving my mitts. If you never have to sight in and practice with a 300win mag they are great for that one shot you have to shoot at a critter where you won't care about the recoil. In addition my preference in a 300 win mag is 200 grain bullets and heavier. The ligther bullets do not perform as well with that much powder behind them. The .270, .280, .308, 30-06 are standard calibers that will perform quite nicely. The specific caliber is more preference than anything. I prefer these calibers as they pack enough punch and ammunition is available everywhere for them.
Citori12

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum