300 mag overkill?

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Postby kcduckslayer » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:50 pm

Heres some advice. If you do buy this gun, before you ever shoot it make sure it is setup for you. Make sure you are confortable. MOST IMPORTANT Make sure that the scope is positioned correctly. If it isnt you will not like it. I hate to admit it but speaking from exprience there is no greater pain and embarsment than when your scope pops you in the eye when you pull the trigger. And trust me after that happens you are garunteed to flinch. So go out becareful and have a great time shooting.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:02 am

You know I have a nightscope and you have to put your eye up into a rubber eye piece to see through it. Ive shot a couple hogs with it and done targets with it.... and Kcduckslayer is right.... it will surely make you think about it, and the last thing you need when shooting is too much stuff going through your head. However, Ive learned how not to flinch with it, basically just accept the fact that Im going to have a sore eye and slowly pull the trigger straight backwards.... I wouldnt recommend just getting used to it though for that kind of rifle.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Have you ever looked at the 7mm? I think the 7 mag would be a better choice, unless you are shooting elk. A 7 mag will pretty much dust off anything in Arizona and you only get 24 inches of drop at 500 yards. Well that is the figure for the weatherby 7 mag wich is a bit faster than the remington, but you get the point. I say 7 mag! 300 is for big mule deer, bear and elk. Shooting a deer that weighs less than 100 dressed out with a 300 is way overkill! The 7 mag is even overkill, just a little less overkill than the 300. Really a .270 .30-06 or .308 is all you need.

MY 2 CENTS
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:37 pm

Here is a thread that is close to what you are looking for. I am not going to argue with these guys to much about this, being that shooting is their job.

http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?showtopic=13687
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:56 pm

for those who choose to shoot magnums, please do...in this case I would not suggest a 13 year old shoot a 300 win mag, or a 7mm mag...But for those of us who are not proffessional shooters, I have to ask myself if I can kill an elk with a bow, why do I need a big gun? If I do my work, then maybe a couple hundred yard shot is all thats required.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Re: 300 mag overkill?

Postby plainsman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:41 pm

arizonaduckhunter13 wrote:i was wondering if a 300 mag is an overkill on elk and deer i have a buddy who wants to sell me a 300 mag for 500 bucks i believe remington and he has about 1100 dollars invested into this gun and he has only fired 50 rounds out of it

Is the 300 mag overkill on deer or elk???? Hmmmm.......that depends.....would you consider a 10 guage overkill on doves and partridge??? :laughing:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:14 pm

So arizonaduckhunter13 what did ya decide?
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:08 pm

Someone who is 13 definately shouldn't be shooting a 300 or 7mm, more like a .243 or .308 (which will kill just about everything.) I shot my last deer with a .243 and had minimal meat loss. I shot 2 pigs with my 7mag and only one of them was edible. :thumbsdown:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:43 pm

Those of us who are ex-miitary and qualified expert can tell ya this. If you develop bad shooting habits just to shoot a rifle you think you can handle you will never make 600 yard shots. You will develop bad shooting habits which will eventually leave you watching that fine 7X7 elk walking away when you though you had him dead to rights.....take it from someone who has seen this about 1/2 a million times...it does not matter what caliber, what make, what model or how much you spent on your rifle it matters if you can use it correctly!!!!!! :hammering: on a 13 year old using a magnum caliber for his first rifle.......
Citori12

Postby CrackerJackShot » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:54 pm

WIDGEONATOR wrote:I shot 2 pigs with my 7mag and only one of them was edible. :thumbsdown:

What size would those pigs be? Cause, I can't possibly figure out how a bullet that small would make all the meat on the pig unedible. If they were tiny little porkers then I could understand, the kind you roast whole. But there aint no way on a mature hog unless you messed up a shot or something.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:57 pm

They were about 150 pounds. The first one I shot was standing there so the shot placement was perfect. The thing fell over with its feet straight up and never even flinched. The second one ran farther away then stopped and turned facing me at an angle. When I shot the pig, the bullet went behing the front shoulder, diagonal and pierced the bladder, and came out through the rear leg. A 7mm bullet might be small but it goes really fast and makes things like bladders and bone explode. :yes:
Last edited by WIDGEONATOR on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:04 pm

Citori12 wrote: :hammering: on a 13 year old using a magnum caliber for his first rifle.......

?????????????
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:52 pm

13y/o, wow, and a 7 mag to boot. I got no problem saying a 7mag makes a short range trip for me, things beat the hell outta me. I think we in the good ole u. s. of a. try to find bigger better, faster and badder, when it's not needed. A 13 y/o that can handle and shoot a 7 mag competently, man, I want that dude in my corner.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:44 pm

Hey Arizonaduckhunter13, are you really thirteen years old? I missed where you posted that. If you are thirteen, then you should at least see if your buddy will let you shoot it before you buy it. Actually you would probably want to watch him shoot it first! Then decide wether you felt ready for the Three Hundred. :eek:

It sounds like a great deal on a pretty good gun. What kinda scope is on the gun.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:18 pm

Hm.. I doubt he's even looked at this since he's posted! :toofunny:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:07 am

Probably went to shoot the gun and it broke his shoulder and gave him a shinner :laughing:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:36 am

:withstupid: :laughing:
Citori12

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:21 pm

Definitely too much gun for a 13 y/o. With my 300 I can really only stand to shoot a little over a box through it at the range, which is fine, its expensive to shoot anyway. It is a little overkill on the deer, but I didnt buy it with deer hunting in mind. It was perfect for buffalo out west, and will be perfect to go to south africa a year from july.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:56 pm

:withstupid: In my mind a 300 win mag would be ideally suited for moose, and big brown or grizzly bear. Most of my clients rarely shoot over 200 yards and the trusty old 06 knocks em down just as good as the 300 win mag at that distance with exception...the 300 win mag loaded with 165 grain nosler partitions, at max velocity is a poor performer under 300 yards...the bullets fragment and or shoot right through the elk if no bone is hit. Over 300 yards its slows down enough to keep the bullet in tact. If I were going to Africa I would use a 300 win mag...but would prefer even heavier fodder for dangerous game and large game as cape buffalo, rhino, and or elephant...the 300 win is great for lion, wilderbeast and other lighter african game however.
Citori12

Postby KpHonknImRloadn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:58 pm

Not too worried about the rhino's or elephant's, i cant really afford to shoot one of those anyway.
KpHonknImRloadn
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:44 pm

:thumbsup: If I were to shoot cape buffalo with a 300 win mag I would choose a very heavy constructed bullet @ 220 grains or better...but I know some folks that come to hunt elk here that surely think and elk is a tough critter to kill and can hurt ya if he charges.... :laughing: :laughing: But I gotta tell ya that if I were going to Africa for impala, wart hog, Onyx or something of that nature I would not need a 300 win mag...my 06 will do er!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: But I would love to shoot sand pidgeon with my 12 ga....By the way...my nephew who guides fishermen on the Kinia (sp) in Alaska carries a 12 ga for big bears...and there is a reason for that....because, you gotta have a set to shoot a 300 win mag for north american big game, but you gotta have a better set to take an alaskan brown bear down with a handgun....those of us that have seen alot of big game go down (even though we do not shoot them) can tell ya that a 300 win mag is un-necessary on the north american continent......Except for Big bears and shoot a heavy bullet..the ballistic coeificient of at 250 gr slug out of a 300 win puts it at an awesome BC.....lighter bullets no matter how heavy constructed stink....I have some great pictures from a mountain goat hunt I could share with a 300 win mag and light bullets...its a little less than a trophy goat but you will never believe what it took to kill that goat with a 300 win mag even though bullet placement was correct.
Citori12

Previous

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum