Henry Rifle .22 Mag

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Henry Rifle .22 Mag

Postby riverducker » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:46 pm

IMG_0028.jpg
First time out with the new Henry 22 Mag. Took this big tree rat at 75 yards with a Winchester 40 gr. FMJ solid point. The 2-7x Redfield makes a big difference at extended ranges. Really nice shooting rig, but it seems real finicky about ammo. It will hold 1/2" with the FMJ 40 grains, and about the same with a 40 gr. hollow point, but the point of impact is about 2" different. The hyper-velocity 35 grain Remington stuff won't hold 1.5" at 50 yds. Really disappointing. Is there some break-in on the barrel for high-velocity stuff to shoot straight? The other thing about this rig is that it is really light weight. Great to carry in the field, but the muzzle is a bit light to hold steady without a solid shooting position.
riverducker
hunter

Re: Henry Rifle .22 Mag

Postby blueberryman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Congrats. I have always wanted one.I am dreaming of the one with the gold reciever.Try the Hornady 30 gr V-Max bullets you will be amazed
blueberryman
hunter

Postby blueberryman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:50 pm

I was too busy drooling over your rifle to see your question about break in I clean my barrel after every 5 to 10 shots for the first 50 then you should be good to go.I have a Savage with the Accu trigger and she shoots real nice.I still would like to get a Henry.Please keep all of us posted on the sweet rifle. :sniper:
blueberryman
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:38 pm

I have the Golden Boy. Beautiful gun with a real slick action. I'm not sure why I bought it since you are limited to shotguns for small game here in NJ but growing up in the era of western movies and TV shows forever left me a grown up version of Ralphie from "A Christmas Story". While we do not use it for hunting, my kids and I have devastated the local tin can population and left plenty of confetti on the range from paper targets. Having fun with a classic American gun, made right here in America. Doesn't get much better than that.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:59 pm

I have a Stevens bolt action .22 mag. I dont care for the trigger much, but it is fun to shoot.
TomKat
Dorothy

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum