What 22 semi auto pistol to buy??

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

What 22 semi auto pistol to buy??

Postby SPAR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:43 am

Im wanting to buy a 22 semi auto pistol. But i would like to keep it in the $200 range. Don't need the best of the best but would like some thing reliable. let me know what you think
SPAR
hunter

Re: What 22 semi auto pistol to buy??

Postby cshunter » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:36 am

im not too sure about anything in that price range. i just bought a sig sauer mosquito .22lr and love it but where i am they go for $370. one thing i do know is that .22 pistols can be pretty finicky especially with ammo so i would say its worth it to get something of quality so you dont have constant issues. as far as ammo goes it usually depends on the gun.
cshunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:13 am

SPAR wrote:Im wanting to buy a 22 semi auto pistol. But i would like to keep it in the $200 range. Don't need the best of the best but would like some thing reliable. let me know what you think

I own this one, its a good shooter-

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765494_-1_757765_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

you can get them for around $200. It has a lot of features for what it is. I have a combo light/laser sight mounted on the picataney rail for possum work at night.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby adustydawg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:26 pm

You might want to try the Smith and Wesson A22. For target shooting opt for the 5 or 6 inch barrel and some good quality ammo. You can even dial it in for some close range groundhogs with the Hornady Quickshot ammo. Great on g hogs, squirrel, and rabbit. You can even put a red dot scope on it for long range work. later, adustydawg :hi:
adustydawg
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 pm

adustydawg wrote:You might want to try the Smith and Wesson A22. For target shooting opt for the 5 or 6 inch barrel and some good quality ammo. You can even dial it in for some close range groundhogs with the Hornady Quickshot ammo. Great on g hogs, squirrel, and rabbit. You can even put a red dot scope on it for long range work. later, adustydawg :hi:

did you even look at the link I posted above you?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Its going to be hard to find a decent auto for around 200. A good option is a Ruger Mark III. The standard model has an MSRP of 380 though. Keep in mind though that the MSRP is always higher than what they actually sell for.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:09 pm

S&W and the Browning woodsman were king way back when but today the Ruger is one of the best made and accurate out of the box,factory pistols,with out any needed fine tuning.

However there might be one out there that feels better in your hand ....................or looks better to you.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:45 am

MOhuntingGuy wrote:Its going to be hard to find a decent auto for around 200. A good option is a Ruger Mark III. The standard model has an MSRP of 380 though. Keep in mind though that the MSRP is always higher than what they actually sell for.

I respectfully disagree. My Smith is a pretty good deal for $200 ....I sold my Ruger, the trigger was bad and it wasnt as accurate as the Smith. Additionally, Ruger rapes you for extra mags, and the smith came with an extra one. Go look at the link Eric. Then come out and shoot mine.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Red Dot ?? !!

You going to be hunting vermin at night time ??!!

If you are under 40 years of age you don't need a stinking Red Dot !! Thats for the old guys that can't see any more !!

Scopes are for rifles.......................get a life !!

If you can't hit a target inside 50 yards with iron sights, your hands shake too much or you eat too many beans !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 am

Sagebrush wrote:Red Dot ?? !!

If you are under 40 years of age you don't need a stinking Red Dot !! Thats for the old guys that can't see any more !!

If you can't hit a target inside 50 yards with iron sights, your hands shake too much or you eat too many beans !!

HA ha ha ha! Hee he he he haw!! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

you funny boy! ha ha ha he he hee hee! :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:45 pm

TomKat wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:Its going to be hard to find a decent auto for around 200. A good option is a Ruger Mark III. The standard model has an MSRP of 380 though. Keep in mind though that the MSRP is always higher than what they actually sell for.

I respectfully disagree. My Smith is a pretty good deal for $200 ....I sold my Ruger, the trigger was bad and it wasnt as accurate as the Smith. Additionally, Ruger rapes you for extra mags, and the smith came with an extra one. Go look at the link Eric. Then come out and shoot mine.

Yeah and I remember you fumbling with it because it kept jamming :hi:

I think the op should just get a ruger single 6 and call it good. You can never go wrong with a single action .22 revolver.

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby TomKat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:17 pm

Yep, once gkr hooked me up with better ammo there was no more feeding issues.

Tell that pile of dead possums that my S & W dont work, ok :hi: :hi:

I had the single 6 and didnt care for it. Love the smith, and I am a revolver guy. If you ever come back Eric you need to shoot it again. You can bring that MN with ya, too.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:43 pm

TomKat wrote:Yep, once gkr hooked me up with better ammo there was no more feeding issues.

Tell that pile of dead possums that my S & W dont work, ok :hi: :hi:

I had the single 6 and didnt care for it. Love the smith, and I am a revolver guy. If you ever come back Eric you need to shoot it again. You can bring that MN with ya, too.

I've got a single six and I love it. One of the few handguns I can proficiently shoot. I've got a few pistols and rifles I need to bring out that you would enjoy shooting.

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 am

Once it warms up we will have a range day. You can bring your goodies out...
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby POKER1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 pm

S&W 22A runs about 250.00 and is a very good 22 pistol.
POKER1
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:17 pm

Just saw a .22 on guns and ammo that was 95% all plastic and had a 12" long clip and looked like the old WW2 "Grease Gun" !!

Looks like we have come to the "Star Wars" games....................... Whoa BABY !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby remingtonarms38 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:16 am

Why don't you check out the new Ruger SR22. I have heard great things about the pistol and supposed to be very reliable. There are some nice reviews on youtube if you want to see it in action. Super easy to clean and around $300 so not to hard on the pocket book as well.
remingtonarms38
hunter

Postby Morgan12 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:01 pm

I have a Ruger single six, Browning Buck Msrk, Ruger 22/45 and a Smith and Wesson 22A. All are good guns the 22A is a great gun for the money I have recommended it to alot of people and everyone loves them that I know has one. I use it by far more than the others it is simply the best gun for the money out of the 22 pistols I have. 2 of us use them coon hunting, I'm still amazed at how well I shoot it. I love the location of the mag release sights are ok on the newer ones they can put high viz sights on trigger is very nice on mine.
Morgan12
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:51 am

I shoot my buddies walther p22 at the range everytime we go, and that thing is sweet. Keep it clean, its a little hard to put back together, but it shoots great, and accurate. Worth a look for sure. I have heard some horror stories on the mosquitoes.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:32 pm

40 years old is an old guy? Come on now. Prime of life.

Sagebrush wrote:Red Dot ?? !!

Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby gonewinchester1500 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 pm

whaknstak wrote:I shoot my buddies walther p22 at the range everytime we go, and that thing is sweet. Keep it clean, its a little hard to put back together, but it shoots great, and accurate. Worth a look for sure. I have heard some horror stories on the mosquitoes.

I Bought my P22 for 250. It is a sweet shooting little gun!!!!!!!
gonewinchester1500
hunter

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 pm

I bought my daughter a Walther P22 for Christmas and we all love it. Just bought my wife a Ruger SR22 should pick it up this week will let you know. They are both over $300.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Scott. » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Another vote for the Sig. Mine is suppressed. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
"Honorable scars are not to be penalized."
"There are two kinds of people in the world without beards. Women and boys. I am neither."
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIEEE
Scott.
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 am

I love my Walther P22. Mine is accurate and eats the cheap promo shells all day long.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Scott. wrote:Another vote for the Sig. Mine is suppressed. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I originally wanted the Ruger, but I got a Sig Sport Longslide in a trade. As long as I keep it clean and oiled it will shoot any ammo I have tried. I shoot the cheap winchester wildcats mostly, but the company recommends CCI mini mags.
Today I was hitting miniature pop cans at 35 yards, and I just got into handguns fairly recently.
I have been considering getting rid of it to acquire a Ruger, but after today, no way. It's functioned too well for me and I've had good luck with it so it's staying.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Next

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum