blued barrel polish???

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

blued barrel polish???

Postby kyle916 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:58 pm

just picked up a new 30-06. the gun is new, and was cheap, exactly what i need. my question is, the company, (being cheaper), didn't do the best job blueing the barrel. it's not perfectly shinny like ones on nicer guns. i looked at others of the same make, and they were the same way. the barrel just looks matted or a little dirty. i'm just wondering if there is a polish or something to make it look nicer?
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Re: blued barrel polish???

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:36 am

The "Bottled Blue" will tuch up bare spots and darken areas but it is nothing like the factory job.
You never know what the finished job will look like, since it might take 2-3 tries and polishing to
where you feel ok with the job, you have done.

I never did a whole barrel.......maybe someone else has and will chime in.

Sagebrush
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:10 pm

the shine on a blued gun doesnt come from anything but the amount of polish the metal had before the blueing was added.....the shines is the finnish of the bare metal...you can'NOT add it later on after the metal is blued!

the company saved money by not putting all the hours in to polish the metal to a mirror finnish....its a classic sign of what level of work goes into a gun....the shine on the blueing

Edited because there is a huge difference between can and cannot! ha ha ha

the tool
Last edited by toolmaker on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 pm

toolmaker wrote:the shine on a blued gun doesnt come from anything but the amount of polish the metal had before the blueing was added.....the shines is the finnish of the bare letal...you can add it later on after the metal is blued!

the company saved money by not putting all the hours in to polish the metal to a mirror finnish....its a classic sign of what level of work goes into a gun....the shine on the blueing

the tool

Yep. When my friend (who is an excellent hobby rifle builder) helped me build a custom Mauser I must have spent at least two and a half hours at the lathe polishing the barrel and easily twice that long polishing the action . It was a lot of work but well worth it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum