No Deals At Gun Shows!!!!

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

No Deals At Gun Shows!!!!

Postby TopWop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:19 am

I don't know about what other states gun shows are like. Here in
Montana it seems like it's just a bunch of the same people showing
the same crap over and over. I have noticed they seem to trade amongst
themselves though. I will be honest I don't know the value on all guns.
I do have a ballpark idea though. One example is, a beat up 10/22 for
$250.00. I can buy a new one for 185.00 to 210.00 brand new.

Any tips on getting a good deal at gun shows?
TopWop
hunter

Re: No Deals At Gun Shows!!!!

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:13 pm

They are usually a "Swap and Trade" show for a lot of us.

Take something that you are tired of and see what you can get for it............last show I left a 9mm autol pistol and came home with a Browning Auto 5. Maybe buy some ammo.............?

They usually hate to have to pack it all up and go to the next meet, with out any sales ,for gas money. You just have to
learn to "Dicker" with them even if you have to come back three times to the table. Just don't ask about the item you want,right off the bat..............make it your third choice etc, to keep them off guard. It is a "Game" that takes time to master.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:57 pm

TopWop wrote:I don't know about what other states gun shows are like. Here in
Montana it seems like it's just a bunch of the same people showing
the same crap over and over. I have noticed they seem to trade amongst
themselves though. I will be honest I don't know the value on all guns.
I do have a ballpark idea though. One example is, a beat up 10/22 for
$250.00. I can buy a new one for 185.00 to 210.00 brand new.

Any tips on getting a good deal at gun shows?

I have some basic rules.

# 1 is know your prices before you go there! Study Gunbroker, etc...lots of info on line

# 2, and most importantly...you MUST have the will power to say NO, both to offers of what you are selling, and to paying too much for something "you just gotta have". Know your prices before you walk through the door. Stick to your guns (pun intended)
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mw46 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Its the same way around here, I dont bother much with gun shows anymore, most of my purchases are online nowadays
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby TopWop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Technology is a beautiful thing. I was on my Droid at the gun show comparing
some guns. I tried haggling for a couple I was interested in. They told me to buy
it on line, or gave me some BS story about the reason that gun was so special.
I ended up buying some 357 brass and a pocket knife that came apart when I tried
sharpening it when I got home. We ended up seeing better stuff at a sporting goods
store about 40 miles away in Ennis. Great selection of new and consignment guns.
They have a web sight also (shedhorn sports)
TopWop
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:18 am

its like a flea market( at least thats what they call then out east here)

you ahve all the vendors who have a ton of stuff they are trying to MAKE MONEY ON....ie its an income, they carry everything they dont sell from location to location.

on the other side you have all the people who just show up to unload stuff...ie clean up the basement....they are vendors at the flea market to GET RID of stuff..

you can get good deals from the people who need money or want to get rid of stuff.

the reason you see the same stuff is they want top dollar and are willing to wait for the right person...either the the guy who REALLY needs that particular item, or for the guy who has no clue, but lots of money. I have seen vendors who have the same item for YEARS!!!!!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:25 am

TopWop wrote:Technology is a beautiful thing. I was on my Droid at the gun show comparing
some guns. I tried haggling for a couple I was interested in. They told me to buy
it on line, or gave me some BS story about the reason that gun was so special.
I ended up buying some 357 brass and a pocket knife that came apart when I tried
sharpening it when I got home. We ended up seeing better stuff at a sporting goods
store about 40 miles away in Ennis. Great selection of new and consignment guns.
They have a web sight also (shedhorn sports)

I am with you... those have been my experiences. I have bought a few things (no guns because like you, I always end up seeing better stuff online or at a sporting goods store later) and the quality of the stuff I have found at our local gun shows has been very mixed.

I think the internet has also influenced gun shows substantially. I recently sold one of my 12 gauge pump shotguns. I would normally have taken it to a gun show and looked to sell it or swap it. Instead, I just put it on the local Arms List website and it was sold in less than a week. I had to turn a few lower offers down but I ended up getting just shy of what I was asking. I don't think I would have done by far as well at one of our local gun shows because of the limited audience.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:52 pm

We don't have flea markets here, we have pawn shops...lol
I am amazed at there prices too. They must love dusting that $hit
because it's not priced to move. I think when times get so tough
a guy needs to sell his guns, they no longer have time to get a fair
price.
The only way I've seen people get a deal at a gun show is if you
see someone walking around with something to sell. Another
thing, Why is all my stuff $hit, and all their $hit is stuff?
TopWop
hunter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:38 pm

I love gun shows. I try to go to almost everyone that comes through. Heck this last show about 2 weeks back, we (dad and I) walked in with 2 rifles and walked out with 2 pistols, ammo and about 350 bucks cash. You just have to know how to haggle with the guys. And remember the old standby, "Cash talks. Bullsh*t walks." Nothing gets a guys business better than pulling a wad of benjamins out of your pocket.
Let there be welders, to attach metal to other metal things. Genesis 1:36

Kenlee's Krew Pro Staff
MOhuntingGuy
Mrs. Red Ryder

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 pm

The net is ok but at the show you don't have to add on $20 for shipping fees.

A week ago two boxes of 38 bullets were going to cost me $65 and the S&H was going to be $23...........no deal !!

Guess they have not heard of the post office box for $5 if it fits ?? !! Must get a kick back from their shipper ?
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:59 am

Many of these guys sell from their homes or small shops where their customer traffic is limited. By setting up at shows they increase their traffic 10 or even 100 fold and thus are less willing to deal because someone else will come along shortly. Some even bump the prices a bit for the show. Just the opposite of what they did 20 years ago. Often you can haggle with them more by going to their shop AFTER the show.. Sadly most of the deals are made before the shows even open to the public. I used to go to the shows to stock up on reloading supplies. Around here there are rarely any reloading supplies at the shows any more. Another factor is trends. Right now the trend is AR type guns. They seem to dominate most shows. If you are selling other types of guns often you are one of a limited number of dealers doing so and can often name your price due to availability.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby TopWop » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:29 pm

There is a gun show here this weekend. I'm going early the first day, hopefully people
will be working. It gets too crowded on the weekend. Hoping to score some Mach II ammo.
I see the price on that has gone up again. I'm afraid I'll have to switch my 10/22 back to .22
in the next couple of years if the ammo keeps climbing. I've found it on line for about 6 bucks
and in the stores here it's 8 bucks. Also still looking for a .22 auto.
TopWop
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:55 pm

I used to go to some gun shows 10 or 15 years ago and found some deals, enjoyed them. Then I didn't go to any for years. Last year I finally went to another show. It had a bunch of used guns for slightly less than I could buy something new. I am not interested in haggling. I will just pay the extra $25 and get a new gun without having to deal with them. Plus, the show was about 75% black rifles and handguns. Not much hunting stuff. Not worth the $10 admission. I probably won't go back again.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Sandman3400 wrote:I used to go to some gun shows 10 or 15 years ago and found some deals, enjoyed them. Then I didn't go to any for years. Last year I finally went to another show. It had a bunch of used guns for slightly less than I could buy something new. I am not interested in haggling. I will just pay the extra $25 and get a new gun without having to deal with them. Plus, the show was about 75% black rifles and handguns. Not much hunting stuff. Not worth the $10 admission. I probably won't go back again.

I have noticed that too! Just like dakotashooter said, it seems the trend right now is assault rifles and handguns. I only saw a few hunting shotguns at our local Dixie Deer Classic. The even had more assault rifles than deer rifles imo.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby klist » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:22 pm

^ the black guns are a gun show sellers dream

you can build an upper CHEAP. add a bunch of cheap plastic tacticool stuff to it, a 20 dollar red dot scope, and every wannabe zombie killer never shot a gun, couldnt hit a barn with a hammer and a nail type of guy is willing to pay top dollar. because it LOOKS like something that costs alot online.

and they sell. well.
klist
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:05 pm

aclumpkin wrote:
Sandman3400 wrote:I used to go to some gun shows 10 or 15 years ago and found some deals, enjoyed them. Then I didn't go to any for years. Last year I finally went to another show. It had a bunch of used guns for slightly less than I could buy something new. I am not interested in haggling. I will just pay the extra $25 and get a new gun without having to deal with them. Plus, the show was about 75% black rifles and handguns. Not much hunting stuff. Not worth the $10 admission. I probably won't go back again.

I have noticed that too! Just like dakotashooter said, it seems the trend right now is assault rifles and handguns. I only saw a few hunting shotguns at our local Dixie Deer Classic. The even had more assault rifles than deer rifles imo.

My thoughts exactly. If that thing isnt at least 50-100.00 off and like new condition Ill buy new and get a warranty. I havent seen deals at a gun show in years unless you have something to trade that THEY really want. Alot of these guys want more for beater guns than you pay for them new on the racks. But I guess there is a sucker born every day and someone will pay those prices.
POKER1
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:30 am

A lot of people in this area are getting disgusted with the Dakota Territories Gun Collectors Assoc that sponsors the shows around here. They are letting in more and more novelty sellers peddling stuff that has nothing to do with guns or hunting.

The "black gun" craze is really rediculous. Most of these guys buy the gun, take it out and burn up $100 of ammo shooting it the first time. They then realize that "this thing is expensive to shoot" and maybe take it out a couple more times before they sell it or it becomes a "safe queen". I've also seen a lot of guys using them for deer hunting which I really don't get. You still have to abide by mag capacity in most states and I can't imagine carring around a gun that has a mag or pistol grip jabbing me in the ribs or gettting hung in the brush every few minute.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:I've also seen a lot of guys using them for deer hunting which I really don't get.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have seen the same thing and your statement reminded me of some of the ridiculous stories I have heard / seen. On my family's farm, we had one guy bring out an AK-47 to hunt deer with (and we were not aware he had it). I'm sitting at home and I hear *boom*. Great, someone must have gotten a... *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom* *boom*. The guy shot 5 more times just as fast as he could have pulled the trigger. Turns out that this first shot was high so the deer turned and ran towards him. So he continued to unload on the deer as it ran towards him and even shot a few times hanging out of the deer stand upside down as the deer ran underneath and behind his tree stand.

This was not his first time hunting at our farm but definitely the first bringing an assault rifle with no scope deer hunting. After his story, he was informed that we just don't do that kind of hunting here.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby chaltig » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:39 pm

TopWop wrote:We don't have flea markets here, we have pawn shops...lol
I am amazed at there prices too. They must love dusting that $hit
because it's not priced to move. I think when times get so tough
a guy needs to sell his guns, they no longer have time to get a fair
price.
The only way I've seen people get a deal at a gun show is if you
see someone walking around with something to sell. Another
thing, Why is all my stuff $hit, and all their $hit is stuff?

When I was looking for an 870 a month ago I went to a pawn shop here in Bozeman (right behind the old safeway) and was shocked. Picked up and 20ga 870 express magnum, in good condition, and put it right back down as soon as I saw the price. GUY WANTED $400!!! :huh: I offered him $200 for it and he looked at me like I was an idiot. He seriously enjoys dusting his guns

Went back to Spokane a week later bought the same gun in basically new condition for $200.
Field Staff Pacific Custom Calls
chaltig
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Tue May 29, 2012 11:03 am

i hear you Top, i tried haggling with a guy from Shedhorn at the gun show in march, he moved a bit but not as far as i wanted him to, so i walked away. next time there's a gun show let me know, if you help me i'll help you. i just need someone there to help me with the backstory of "that guy in that other booth said he'd part with that DPMS for 900 with two Pmags" :yes:

if these guys won't budge, i'll buy online and have an FFL transfer done, i could have got an AR for 700 flat.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby War Wagon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:20 am

I agree you,you have to go to lots of gun shows to find a super deal. I have been going for 20 years +. Never have I bought a gun, I found parts, stocks, calls and everything else until the last one I was at. I got a Rem SP-10 26" bbl camo, 5 chokes, a sling and case for $ 650.00 NOW thats a deal. I hope I dont have to waite another 20 years for my next one
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Joe K » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:55 pm

I usually go to gun shows when they pass thru the area and have picked up some deals here and there. If you know what you want and have researched the pricing you will eventually run into those opportunites. You just have to keep at it.
Joe K
Newb

Postby bubba57 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:28 pm

I used to go to the Ft. Worth and Tulsa gun shows every year. But like most there's more black guns than sporters. And what guns I liked were priced within 50 to 75 dollars of a new one. I have better luck at a local pawn/gun shop and I watch the weekly shoppers for guns, usually find a good deal there.
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:38 am

If you are actually going in to buy you are going about it wrong. I buy more stuff in the parking lot before I go in than anyplace. Hell last one I went to we sat outside the main entrance doors. Bought what we liked, and most of the time for what they were asking. I bought a mint condition Wingmaster 20 ga with 3 chokes from a guy behind me in line to buy tickets. The guy wanted $225 bucks for it. Stuck a for sale sign and walked in with it, and one of the dealers followed me around till I sold it to him. Made $75 in less than 10 minutes. If you know how to play the game you can get some good buys.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:58 pm

Shows are also a good place to pick up reloading supplies if you look carefully. Few shops around here cary a full complement of powders and there are normally a couple booths with a good selection...and I don't have to double the cost with shipping charges.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum