Marlin modle 60 .22

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Marlin modle 60 .22

Postby boatguy » Fri May 05, 2006 4:54 pm

Just got this rifle from the pawn shop. Looks good not bad at all to tell you the truth. I was wondering if polishing the bolt would help this auto any at all. Any thing to make it better........
Thanks
Lead, Follow, Or Get The Hell Out Of The Way!!!!
boatguy
Newb

Postby Marshwalker » Fri May 05, 2006 9:41 pm

i think it would help. i have always kind of been scared to buy crap from a pawn shop. i always thought it would fall apart when i brought it home. but tons of people do it. my friends and other people i know. i guess if you knew what you were looking for and checked it out it would be ok. marlins are pretty good brands i got a couple. how much did you get it for ? like whats the regular price and sporting store and the price you paid?
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Marlin modle 60 .22

Postby boatguy » Sat May 06, 2006 4:56 am

This one has the checkerd on the forarm and grip, and came with a cheese scope, but I pait 110 for it. I've asked around at the local gun stores around here and they are asking 190 for the same set up. Today I'm going to take it back down and go ahead and polish the bolt. I has a BSA sweet 16 scope in the safe, so I but that on it,,, looks real nice. I have knighted her, "Squirrle Slayer". haha
Thanks
boatguy
Newb

Postby Cobra » Sat May 06, 2006 10:22 am

Bought mine around 35 years ago, scoped, pressed pattern checkering for less than $50. $190 now, wow. Still lethal on rabbits and squirrels. About all that has been done to it is a good solid, take apart cleaning of the internal workings every couple of years. It doesn't shoot as well with the light weight, hyper velocity bullets like it did at one time, ~10,000 rounds will do that. Stock, no frill rounds still cycle without a problem and those little furry rodents don't stand much of a chance. Suggest taking it apart and cleaning the blow back residue out of the workings and a good barrrel cleaning, it does tend to accumulate. Model 60 is a tough, simple and accurate little SOB.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

NICE

Postby boatguy » Sat May 06, 2006 10:34 am

Yea, I took it down to parade rest and cleaned it real good. The barrel is now spotless and so is everything else. I went a head and polished the bolt,,, came out real nice. Today will be the first time I shoot it, hope is shots as nice as the parts are clean.
boatguy
Newb

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum